Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
It looks like "Bates Motel" isn't back until sometime next year - probably spring again. ;(
Bates Motel was the one new show last year that really surprised me. I had hoped to like it. Turned out I loved it. Best new show of any network last year.

There were other shows I'd hoped to love, but ended up liking. Hannibal comes to mind. I'd hoped to love it. I ended up just liking it. I'm wondering if it might be one of those shows that improves upon a marathon viewing but is hard to key into once a week. Falling Skies is that way for me.

I had hoped to like NBC's Revolution. The first episode was too stupid for me to care about watching more. It reminded me of Terra Nova, only without dinosaurs, and despite society collapsing, everyone seemed to be able to buy brand new clothes at the Gap and get designer haircuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, White Collar. All coming up in the fall.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:20 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Bates Motel was the one new show last year that really surprised me. I had hoped to like it. Turned out I loved it. Best new show of any network last year.

There were other shows I'd hoped to love, but ended up liking. Hannibal comes to mind. I'd hoped to love it. I ended up just liking it. I'm wondering if it might be one of those shows that improves upon a marathon viewing but is hard to key into once a week. Falling Skies is that way for me.

I had hoped to like NBC's Revolution. The first episode was too stupid for me to care about watching more. It reminded me of Terra Nova, only without dinosaurs, and despite society collapsing, everyone seemed to be able to buy brand new clothes at the Gap and get designer haircuts.
Definitely agree about "Bates Motel." It totally captivated me.

"Hannibal" was/is one of those shows that ended up being all style and little substance for me. Lots of great camera shots but the stories were ultimately terribly predictable.

Didn't even bother with the others you mentioned - it seemed pretty clear they were going to be, or should be, short-lived.

The only other new show that I stuck with was "Elementary." Looking forward to their trip to London this season.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
Sons of Anarchy starts this coming Tuesday.

Hannibal was probably cancelled.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
I don't think I'm going to have anything to watch for awhile after the finales of Breaking Bad and The Bridge. Tried to get into Sons of Anarchy & Homeland, but I don't like either one. I've given up on network tv for scripted shows. Hannibal was better than most, but didn't really thrill me.

Guess I'll have to find something more productive to do with my time. I still need to check out Bates Motel...and I'll probably watch American Horror Story, but need to catch up on the first 2 seasons.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Sons of Anarchy starts this coming Tuesday.

Hannibal was probably cancelled.
I love SoA, but I still haven't watched last season. I'm hoping it'll hit Netflix over the weekend so I can catch up in time.

Hannibal was renewed, but season 2 probably won't air till January.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Guess I'll have to find something more productive to do with my time. I still need to check out Bates Motel...and I'll probably watch American Horror Story, but need to catch up on the first 2 seasons.
I loved Bates Motel. It hooked me on the first episode and just kept getting better.

I tried American Horror Story and couldn't get into it. Too icky, and not a single likeable character. I can handle the ick if I'm rooting for someone. But if I don't care about a single character, why bother?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
So tired of pretty much boring summer TV, so I'm hoping for better TV this fall. I was looking at this site for what some broadcast TV schedules are likely to look like.
Fall TV 2013 Schedule Calendar - Day by Day | TVGuide.com
I don't watch those TV channels. I'd rather know which cable shows are returning.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
For those who love reality shows

Here is fall schedule of (cough, cough) reality. The Amazing Race will always be the best one
Fall 2013 reality TV debut schedule + reality blurred

Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I stand corrected. You are absolutely correct. REAPER was a great show --- which probably goes a long way to explaining why it didn't last on the CW.

My kids love Supernatural. I've seen a few episodes. I like it well enough, but it's nothing I ever set aside an evening to watch. There are only a few shows I set aside time to watch. The rest, I prefer to binge watch an entire season on Neflix or OnDemand over several days.

Your assessment of the CW is spot on. It's basically Nickelodeon for 15 year olds.
I am currently binging on Supernatural. As someone who was fully onboard with shows like Buffy and X-Files I can't believe I never heard of this show until a few months ago when my adult daughter discovered it and insisted I watch the first couple of episodes, knowing I'd be hooked. It's been on since 2005? REALLY? That's when my D went away to college so I guess we were both too busy to notice. Anyway, I'm probably going to finish up before season 9 starts next month and I'll do mini binges ever few weeks with On Demand. I don't have a DVR and I just don't think about tv shows or when they are on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV