Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times

Advertisements

Just watched Valerie and her partner in rehearsal. Please, God, Let me be just like her when I am 74!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
elizabeth, I was thinking about the 1/2 point system too. You're right that it would be helpful in a season like this one.

It's as though the show has new producers who decided to change everything except the co-hosts. Think about it -- what isnt different this season? Even the costumes are more modest.
I bet viewership was falling off. I can't think of any other reason for retooling the whole show, practically.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:49 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Props to Valerie and Tristan for trying but I really thought they looked mismatched in their dance and it wasn't easy to watch. Sorry

Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Props to Valerie and Tristan for trying but I really thought they looked mismatched in their dance and it wasn't easy to watch. Sorry
I agree with you ebbe. It was painful to watch. Seems like the old age syndrome of not being able to remember well is causing Valerie trouble.

I had just gotten off 1 vote for Bill Nye when they announced he and his partner would be leaving, so I hung up the phone. I was disappointed.

Snickcole and Sasha's double cartwheel while holding hands was awesome!!! Then others got higher scores? I'm actually getting tired of watching because of the scoring. The dances are shorter too. Notice that? I don't like it.

I love Valerie Harper but it's definitely time for her to go home. The pity vote will now cause better dancers to go home. Ok, maybe Jack and then Valerie. Jack has potential but he's too stiff. He needs to let loose.

Amber's feet weren't good enough?? I thought she did fine. Even Derek did an audible "Whaat??"

Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM

884 posts, read 1,062,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Your right, it was diffucult to watch, but great efforts for her age and condition. I really like how well Valerie takes her criticism (even Tom complimented on her how she was the most agreeable or easy contestant to be critical of ever). Unlike some of the other contestants (particularly Snookie or Nicole---whichever she goes by), Snookie even said in her practice session that she felt like a "loser" for getting 6's last week, she was a terrible sport and showed bratty faces when the judges are trying to give her constructive criticism.

I don't care for bad sportsmanship, which makes me really appreciate those stars that like Valerie, Amber, Corbin, Elizabeth, etc who respect the judges opinions no matter what and try to improve. I also noticed that Leah almost attacked Carrie Ann when she started to say that she "disagrees with Len and Bruno about the arms" last night. Leah rudely interrupted with "Excuse me, YOU DISAGREE", I'm thinking another bad sport, until Leah realized that Carrie Ann was trying to compliment her.

Anyhow, it is unfortunate but I think it is time for Valerie to go next week. It's a struggle to watch and I'm sure it is a struggle to perform for her. I'm tired of Len having to tell her that she seems a bit "uncomfortable" with each dance, each week, this is only going to get more challenging, and she doesn't even compare to the others in this highly competitive season.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,078,003 times
tamiznluv; Seems like the old age syndrome of not being able to remember well is causing Valerie trouble.

Seriously??? The woman has terminal brain cancer! I think that might be what is starting to affect her memory.

It really makes me sad to read some of these comments like "Valerie needs to go".

No, it will not be fair for her to stay if it meant that good dancers will go home but so far those that went could not dance any better. I think that if she would be staying just because of sympathy votes Valerie will recognize that and take herself off because she wouldn't want that to happen. I really think she might last maybe one more week and then have to stop on her own.

I just read that about her interview on a talk show where she said in the past she also had lung cancer. I didn't know that.

I'm just glad she got the chance to "dance one more time" and to accomplish a goal of hers and to prove she could do it.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:03 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
tamiznluv; Seems like the old age syndrome of not being able to remember well is causing Valerie trouble.

Seriously??? The woman has terminal brain cancer! I think that might be what is starting to affect her memory.

It really makes me sad to read some of these comments like "Valerie needs to go".

No, it will not be fair for her to stay if it meant that good dancers will go home but so far those that went could not dance any better. I think that if she would be staying just because of sympathy votes Valerie will recognize that and take herself off because she wouldn't want that to happen. I really think she might last maybe one more week and then have to stop on her own.

I just read that about her interview on a talk show where she said in the past she also had lung cancer. I didn't know that.

I'm just glad she got the chance to "dance one more time" and to accomplish a goal of hers and to prove she could do it.
HAD Brain cancer. Hey, I was defending her staying last week but after this week, I can see it's time for her to go. If not next week, the week after. (if Jack gets voted off next week) There IS some truth to older folks not being able to retain short term memory stuff too. Especially after chemo. It's called "chemo brain".

Yes, Keeshon and Bill Nye couldn't dance much better than she does. She does well for her situation but it's still time to go.

One thing, the mods are the only ones who are supposed to post in red.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:16 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
I agree with everything you said above, tami. People here have been very kind about Valerie. I've been defending her too but it is time for her to go. Period.

One thing I've been wondering about and cant find referenced on the internet: How are the pairings decided? For example, who's decided to give Tristan partners who have absolutely no chance of advancing to even the semi-finals each season? Who gives Derrick his choice of partners?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:28 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
Loved the Lone Ranger routine. So fun to watch. Always fun to see what the new pros bring to the table.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
elizabeth, I was thinking about the 1/2 point system too. You're right that it would be helpful in a season like this one.

It's as though the show has new producers who decided to change everything except the co-hosts. Think about it -- what isnt different this season? Even the costumes are more modest.
Speaking of viewership, I just saw this:

While "Dancing With the Stars" is still popular on ABC, the median age of people watching was 62, compared with a more vibrant and valuable 48 for "The Voice."

Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV