Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 01:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Maybe Len being back will help to stabilize it a bit.

I knew a woman who was taken by MS very quickly, not too long ago.
Sometimes we white wash these problems and the general public get the impression that we have a greater handle on things than we do. I saw a special on breast cancer. Even now a person can succumb in spite of unusually early detection and treatment.

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, Tami. I'm also glad to hear you've got it under control.
I don't see his vision of himself when diagnosed as being out of place. The shock must have been awful, especially after the birth of his daughter, and likely the fear she may be predisposed. His vision of tomorrow was cancelled. Some might just deny the possibility, but he let it play out. Then he collected himself and went on. I think its a very positive attitude which applies to ANY disease and I commend him for it.

And blessings and all the positive hope for Tami I can find.

When my son was five I was in the hospital with a sever infection from pancreatitus and a still rising temp. It was Sunday. About nine, the doctor came in and did some examiing. About ten I was told I was going into surgery at noon, but they were having to call everyone in and that was the soonest they could all get there. My fever was high enough, I was not dealing much with reality. But when I woke up and they said I was to just lay still, not move around and sleep as much as possible. Finally someone said they's had to literally cut the pancreas apart to remove the massive amount of stones and sew it back together so I was to lay still until it had a chance to heal back together.

I went home in a week or so, and felt better than I had before. But I talked to a friend who used to be a paramedic and she said you do know that was literally life or death. I didn't. My fever was three degrees above the maximum safe temp for suregery. My life could have ended that day. The pancreas could have torn, there was a huge risk for infection. Just like the surgery I had when I was in my twenties which was very high risk, which I was vaguely aware of, I came through.

But I have never seen tomorrow the same and never will. I'll never be free of 'medical issues' but I also know that what matters is today and not some time not here yet. I like his message, that whatever could await you tomorrow, don't let it stop you from living life today. I hope he keeps dancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 01:54 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,033,628 times
Quote:

Also, I must have missed some of the judging last week because I missed what
Julianne had said about needing to stand in front of Mark to be seen (I saw it
on the judging recap this morning). Ouch! I'd love to know the story (or
stories) behind that comment. lol
Julianne and Derek grew up with Mark. I took Julianne's remark as a joke/mild crtisism between old friends. She was ribbing him a bit......I got it.....knowing their background.....as most long time DWTS fans do.

Mark got it......his partner didn't.....she thought it was all about her.

And.....we all know.....Mark does have a tendency to outshine his partners, instead of concentrating on making them shine.

Julianne's remark was spot on, IMO. Sometimes Mark needs to be reminded his job is to make the star look good instead of showing off. She tried to tell him kindly.....making a joke.....but Mark got the message.

{I remember the judges flat out telling Lacey Schwimmer the same thing when she first started. She never needed the reminders.}

Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times
I "got" last week's joke about Mark too. He does need to step back a little.

Maybe knowing Christina was going home, that's why "From Len...the 10" last night. Maybe Len was trying to show her she was much better than what the votes said. I hope it worked on her ego.

Thanks, gg and bird.

(((HUGS))) to fuzz. That's why you haven't been around? Sorry to hear. I like your spunk.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:39 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,234,708 times
I thought Leah would be the one to leave too, especially after seeing her pouty long face during the beginning show couples introduction. I thought maybe she already knew, lol.

Mark was beginning to be hard on my eyes with his Frankenstein cut and tattoo sleeve. Some people just try too hard.

Bill E's wife in the aurdience is pretty too. (Someone mentioned that Jack O's wife is pretty).

Old 10-15-2013, 03:49 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,247,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Julianne and Derek grew up with Mark. I took Julianne's remark as a joke/mild crtisism between old friends. She was ribbing him a bit......I got it.....knowing their background.....as most long time DWTS fans do.

Mark got it......his partner didn't.....she thought it was all about her.

And.....we all know.....Mark does have a tendency to outshine his partners, instead of concentrating on making them shine.

Julianne's remark was spot on, IMO. Sometimes Mark needs to be reminded his job is to make the star look good instead of showing off. She tried to tell him kindly.....making a joke.....but Mark got the message.

{I remember the judges flat out telling Lacey Schwimmer the same thing when she first started. She never needed the reminders.}
Oh, I understand that Julianne, Derek, and Mark have a long history together.

Just watching his reaction to the "joke," though, makes me think he either didn't "get it" - or he got it but didn't appreciate it (even tho' he tried to downplay it later).

Just my perception.............

Old 10-15-2013, 04:04 PM

50,695 posts, read 36,389,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth_cali View Post
Well even last week, Christina did not have the lowest scores, they had 8's or 9's across the board (don't remember which). But I do realize that Christina's fan base was not probably as large as Leah, Bill or Snookie (those who have been getting some of the lower scores). Snookie, along with Bill are both improving. I don't think that Christina had dancing experience, I think that she just had "good timing, rhythm" as some of the pros said will definitely help them if they have prior experience in a music industry. Christina has no reported ballroom dancing experience (that I'm aware of).

But, yes you are right, Snookie shouldn't go before Bill or Leah, but I definitely don't think Leah has really been improving that much, all those lifts sort of saved her last night, but I don't know if it is enough to get through ballroom dancing comps. Just my thoughts.
Exactly. I never heard of her, nor have I heard of the cute guy who keeps taking his shirt off, and I do tend to not care as much for the people I don't know. I thought she was a performer, so assumed she danced as well, but admit I don't know.
It's not just ballroom dance experience I don't want to see, though. IMO all dance experience gives them an edge, if they are used to following choreography, remembering steps, being used to the endurance to practice a dance for hours, etc, I think it's easier (like Corbin). I was one of the few who was glad when the Cheetah girl got voted off early her first time around, because IMO she was already a dancer and didn't belong there. Most of those performer kids have been taking dance lessons since they could walk. It's just more fun to me to watch the transformation of someone from bumbling and unsure of themselves to confident, good dancers.

I always thought the figure skaters had a bit of an edge, too.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times
Are we sure the judges know in advance who's going home each week, because they sure looked shocked as hell that it was Christina. They acted like they had no idea it would be her.

I always thought the premise of the show was to take novice dancers and turn them into ballroom dancers. If so, then I think Leah and Bill should stay as they've shown improvement each week. Those who have lots of dance experience, know how to move, have musicality and can follow dance counts. So, even though they may not have ballroom experience, they do have dance experience which still puts them leaps and bounds above the non-dancers who are on the show, so they will improve much more each week, to the detriment of those trying to learn just to dance.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:21 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Are we sure the judges know in advance who's going home each week, because they sure looked shocked as hell that it was Christina. They acted like they had no idea it would be her.

LOL at the image of the judges practicing their shocked looks in the mirror every season.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:34 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
For some reason Elizabeth's "bug eyes" bother me.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,662,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
For some reason Elizabeth's "bug eyes" bother me.
Me, too. I find her just plain unattractive.

And Leah's watery eyes drive me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV