Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,708,178 times

Advertisements

...complaining, along with his helicopter parents about his final answer (or question) being ruled incorrect on the children's episode...

I'm a big Jeopardy! fan, so I saw the show and the kid's (Thomas Hurley) hangdog pouting after the ruling. The answer was "Emancipation Proclamation," and he wrote, "Emanciptation Proclamation," misspelling the response. The other kids spelled it correctly and, BTW, the placements wouldn't have changed had he been ruled correct. He and his parents also sniffed something about Trebek's "rudeness."

Rules are rules, and they shouldn't be changed for kids' episodes/tournaments. Wait until this kid goes to college, since we all know that demonstrating proficiency in written communications is not the prerequisite it once was.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,292,781 times
Personally, I didn't know it was a requirement that you had to spell the answer correctly. Numerous times I have not been able to even read what the contestants wrote.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,165,686 times
I saw a couple of episodes of the juniors Jeopardy last week. Those kids were awesome but seems the judging for the kids was a bit more serious than for the adults. Just an observation.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,201,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Rules are rules, and they shouldn't be changed for kids' episodes/tournaments. Wait until this kid goes to college, since we all know that demonstrating proficiency in written communications is not the prerequisite it once was.

Over the years "Jeopardy!" hasn't been entirely consistent with their rulings on misspelled words in Final Jeopardy. I've seen misspellings being accepted, and seen them disallowed. I can't understand why that would be the case. The best I can figure is that if the misspelling greatly changes the pronunciation, it is ruled against, but if it's something like using the wrong vowel to represent the "schwa" sound, the misspelling is accepted.

I'd really like to see the exact guidelines for this as used by the "Jeopardy!" judges.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,691,157 times
There is no rule about spelling it right.

This kid and his parents are being ridiculous. Even if he spelled it right, he still would have only gotten the $2K since he came in second place. The kid who won was so far ahead of him that even if he bet all his money, he couldn't have won.

The payoff for the players is that the winner gets all their money and second/third place get $2K and $1K respectively.

I'm not sure what this kid/his parents are complaining about?

Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,691,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Over the years "Jeopardy!" hasn't been entirely consistent with their rulings on misspelled words in Final Jeopardy. I've seen misspellings being accepted, and seen them disallowed. I can't understand why that would be the case. The best I can figure is that if the misspelling greatly changes the pronunciation, it is ruled against, but if it's something like using the wrong vowel to represent the "schwa" sound, the misspelling is accepted.

I'd really like to see the exact guidelines for this as used by the "Jeopardy!" judges.
I would, too. I've seen so many "wrong" things on Jeopardy that they let slip.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:52 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,764,446 times
One thing that's pretty sure is that he will never spell "emancipation" wrong again!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,169,369 times
He probably would have been better off leaving out a letter or using an incorrect letter rather than adding a "t". I think if he spelled it "emansipation" they may not have judged it incorrectly. It's one thing to misspell a word but when you add extra letters then that's just changing the entire word.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,771,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
He probably would have been better off leaving out a letter or using an incorrect letter rather than adding a "t". I think if he spelled it "emansipation" they may not have judged it incorrectly. It's one thing to misspell a word but when you add extra letters then that's just changing the entire word.

Yeah, I'm guessing if you misspell the word in a way that makes it clear that you were attempting to use the correct word it's no problem.

But if you misspell it in a way that makes it unclear that you even knew the correct word then they won't accept it.

They might not have been sure if he really thought "Emancipitation" was a word.

Either way the kid's parents deserve a smack for allowing his little public snitfest.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,330,679 times
I was more sympathetic about it before he started publicly whining about it. It's a game, it didn't change your placement. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV