Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Why would anyone complain sitcoms are less family friendly now, thats asinine. The most popular sitcoms are Modern Family, Big Bang Theory and The Middle, all family shows. Those are good shows but theres mostly crappy mush on now. I'm glad the REALLY bad mushy family sitcoms like Full House, Family Matters, Growing Pains etc are gone, they were horrible and the weird religious nuts who miss them disturb me; hell is most likely like the bland unrealistic world these sitcoms inhabit. I wish they had more shows now like Married with Children, Roseanne, Murphy Brown, Titus etc.
Weird religious nuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 05:09 AM

106 posts, read 64,355 times
Ever since Roseanne came on in 86'.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:09 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
Weird religious nuts
And miss shows from the 80s and 90s as an ideal. You have to go back to the 60s for that.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:36 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
My 11yo daughter loves full house, we watch it all the time. The "family" shows have now moved over to disney channel. There are some cute ones on there. Some of them remind me of the 80s era family comedies.

You are right, many of the comedies morph into a bunch of sex jokes. This is not always entertaining even for adults.
My husband and I LOVE to watch some of the Disney and Nick shows. Some really good writing there...

Old 05-31-2015, 07:14 AM

58 posts, read 35,955 times
I'd say they became less family friendly in the 2000s

Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,008 times
the onset of married with children and rosanne was the start of the family show phaseout

i think abc kept some shows for a few years and then had the tgif thing until it fizzled out

but after that, thast was pretty much it

Old 05-31-2015, 07:25 AM

58 posts, read 35,955 times
I agree. But I believe the sitcom became less family- friendly when all in the family debuted.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:49 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM View Post
(edit: less 'wholesome' I should say.)
A: When television audiences made it clear to networks that their primary interest was in being entertained, not in being subjected to a joke-sprinked sermon instructing them on some network CEO's notion of 'proper behavior'.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:28 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Sitcoms seem to be dying anyway. For the first time ever, NBC doesn't have a single half-hour comedy Sunday-Thursday on this upcoming fall schedule.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:01 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think Fox's Married With Children was a "milestone" in raunchy humor during its time (the 1980s). But as others have said, the process began in the 1970s. Perhaps one could blame the "rural purges" at CBS at the beginning of the 1970s, when fare like The Beverly Hillbillies was replaced by shows like M*A*S*H.
Glad to see someone mention Rural purge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
for it is probably key to understanding anything about current TV. Also consider what Tom Smother's said about humor now:

""I'm watching television and I'm not seeing anything. I watch all the cable shows where you should see some looseness and you're not hearing anything. ...There's a general dumbing down of everybody in this country. ...It just kept going and going until it's gotten to the point where it's all mean-spirited and vulgar. It not only affects comedy, it affects film. It affects literature. It's pervasive on radio. There's that guy Howard Stern and all that smart ass, vulgar, sexual pretending like they're expanding freedom of speech. They ought to put an amendment to the First Amendment that says there shall also be freedom of hearing." (Chicago Tribune interview; November 28, 2002)" (from IMDB)

One other thing. I remember a commercial when the FOX/CBS station switch occurred during the early 90's, showing the kids on the remote control, asking where all the cartoons were (the commercial may have been on the WB). In that presentation, all the afternoon kids shows had been replaced with talk shows. Perhaps, the child's world on TV, regardless of whether or not they ought to be out playing baseball, has been replaced with a constant bombardment of the dirty adult world. Sigh, didn't the Saturday morning cartoons say their last good byes only a few years ago (but really, they have been gone since probably the mid 90's Saturday-morning cartoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV