Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

I'm going with Cosby, although I agree Good Times was more believable in many ways and Good Times gets points for covering a few issues not usually covered back in those days.

Reasons I ultimately went for Cosby:

1. Good Times spent too much time having JJ repeat his catch phrase. Annoying, a waste of script time, and there was also a sense that a lot of the episodes were too similar because they had to work in that catch phrase.

2. Cosby gets extra points for featuring performances by some interesting artists and playing pieces of music you don't usually hear on television. Of course, they lose half a point for the dopey way they worked some of these artists into the plot, but I enjoyed the performances enough that I gave them a pass on that.

3. Cosby has held up better as a re-run, IMO. And Cosby's jokes are mostly still funny, whereas some of the Good Times jokes now seem dated. I think Cosby had a better team of writers, too. Good Times wasn't as big of a hit show and so didn't have the money for writing that Cosby did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
Actually this happened yesterday a.m. Both shows were on. I watched Good Times until I saw that Centric was marathoning CS. So I changed the channel.

I like both shows, though.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 AM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Good Times for sure. I just think the humor, characters, and situaitons are better than in Cosby. Peace to Bill Cosby for reppin' Bk though

Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Good Times would have been the greatest show of all time if the father remained on the show

Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,858,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
You mean more FUN EPISODES

Haha Well yeah, I can't argue with that.

I do agree when John Amos left the show it wasn't as good.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:51 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Good Times.
I like the grit and reality of the times it represented.
Watching this show gives me great memories of my childhood and parents.
I DVr all the shows now.
I watch Good Times when everyone is out of the house, I have the recliner to myself, a bowl of potato chips, and ginger ale, and relish in the time warp of my youth.

Cosby show I think it was too contrived and too leave it to beaver like.
I didn't watch it in it's heyday and I don't watch it now.
I was never a Bill COSBY FAN.
But I loved me some Fat Albert on Saturday mornings!!!!!

Old 09-01-2013, 11:57 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Good Times would have been the greatest show of all time if the father remained on the show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Haha Well yeah, I can't argue with that.

I do agree when John Amos left the show it wasn't as good.
I don't know about greatest of all time, but it certainly took a nose-dive when John Amos left the show and the whole thing started to center around "Dyn-o-mite!"

I liked the original Bill Cosby Show where his character was a gym teacher (a guy I worked with had Cosby as an actual gym teacher in his pre-comedy days), but didn't care for the later Cosby show.

I'd watch "Good Times" until John Amos leaves, then turn off the TV.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:10 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
I like both shows but would probably go with Good Times because it can make you laugh and cry in one episode. The characters on the show made you care more about them rather than The Cosby Show which just seemed so cheesy (like Full House).

Old 09-01-2013, 05:20 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
The Cosby spinoff, "A Different World" was good TV though.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
The Cosby spinoff, "A Different World" was good TV though.
That was a great show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV