Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 08:48 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If Caleb lost some weight, he's actually not bad looking.
Caleb has that same large presence, similar long hair, and intense vocal that Meat Loaf had when he was younger.

This is what I mean ...

Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Live @ OGWT) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 09:03 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Ok, I will break my silence because we are so happy. Caleb is the son and nephew of two sisters I grew up with and have stayed in touch with since high school. We only live 45 minutes apart. We are so stinking proud! Caleb's mom is a little doll and he looks more like his dad than anything. He is the real deal with his voice. I think he was much more handsome before he let his hair grow out but in Asheville being "different" is normal. And the hair he sports is different than most of the area around here. It has been a lot of fun hearing from Tamra about the AI experience and seeing all of her pics. The one of her husband and Steven Tyler was the best. Steven is so "pretty". Ha!

Old 03-14-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Ok, I will break my silence because we are so happy. Caleb is the son and nephew of two sisters I grew up with and have stayed in touch with since high school. We only live 45 minutes apart. We are so stinking proud! Caleb's mom is a little doll and he looks more like his dad than anything. He is the real deal with his voice. I think he was much more handsome before he let his hair grow out but in Asheville being "different" is normal. And the hair he sports is different than most of the area around here. It has been a lot of fun hearing from Tamra about the AI experience and seeing all of her pics. The one of her husband and Steven Tyler was the best. Steven is so "pretty". Ha!
That's cool that you know Caleb.

What did Caleb do during this past year, that made him so good?

Did he get professional vocal training or something?

I remember he said he auditioned for AI during a previous season, but didn't make the cut.

This year, he is the front runner. He is like this season's Adam Lambert.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:40 AM

278 posts, read 277,180 times
Ben got hosed. All I keep hearing is "Do something different/go out of our bubble". The guy did and put on a good performance. Yet the judges complain that he confused them by doing something different. ?

Worse of all, the final statement is Keith saying "We feel you haven't grown enough as an artist". Yikes. I see individuals still in the competition that have yet to even attempt something outside their comfort zone.

I did feel he had one of the weaker voices still left but the reasoning the judges gave must have just pissed off Ben. Say his voice wasn't good enough, he was too straight, too white. Whatever, but be honest.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:35 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Random musings:

- I love love love Caleb's rendition of "Skyfall", I can listen to it over and over. It's because of the restraint. I can't stand it when he goes over the top in his performances.
- That was Sam Woolf stepping out of his shell? He has a decent voice but he can't sing a fast tempo song worth a damn. He should stick with crooning.
- I wonder whether Malaya would sound better w/o her braces, her enunciation is all muddled
- MK's voice sounds like it's teetering on collapse
- I liked Jena's performance, she has the tone that I like in a singer and a full range w/o sounding like a screamer
- My love for Majesty is fading, sorry babe
- I like Jessica's voice but her performances are oh-so-boring

My ranking thus far:

1. Caleb
2. CJ
3. Jena
4. Alex

Old 03-15-2014, 12:06 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveYOU2 View Post
Ben got hosed.
I agree, and I think it's because Ben is competing directly with CJ and Dexter. The votes are being split. I'm wondering why none of the mentors (Randy) steered him away from this song, they must have known it was not a good choice.
Bummer. He seemed like a nice kid.

On another note, thank goodness they finally let the stylist's loose on the contestants! Everyone looked great, big improvements across the board. I especially like Sam's hairstyle, and MK's overall appearance - Love her hair all spiky and punk'd. Caleb didn't change much, but I don't think he needed to. The only mistake was Majesty's dress which I did not care for at all.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:43 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
That's cool that you know Caleb.

What did Caleb do during this past year, that made him so good?

Did he get professional vocal training or something?

I remember he said he auditioned for AI during a previous season, but didn't make the cut.

This year, he is the front runner. He is like this season's Adam Lambert.
He has been working very hard on his voice and stage presence. He and his band, Elijah Hooker, have been very busy also. It's like he has really blossomed and come into his own. This is actually his third try at AI.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:41 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Thumbs up My thoughts exacty

I think that Idol should probably just make this their last season. I like the Voice much better, though it could still stand to improve some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This year has got to be the most pathetic season of Idol ever. The "talent" overall this year is almost a joke, and the new format sucks. I have watched every season since the beginning and I can honestly say this one bores me to tears, and I am really not even watching. I am only rooting for Sam Woolf because he is from my area and he is cute and pretty talented. But basically I just don't care. I am even missing last year's talent cast and heaven forbid even old Nikki! At least she entertained me me even when she was making me mad. Oh, well. couldn't last forever.

Still watching the Voice, find that much more interesting.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
He has been working very hard on his voice and stage presence. He and his band, Elijah Hooker, have been very busy also. It's like he has really blossomed and come into his own. This is actually his third try at AI.
Thanks. I just found lots of really good videos of Caleb and his band Elijah Hooker on YouTube.

Caleb Johnson - Down To The River - YouTube

"Heart-Shaped Box" Caleb Johnson & Brian Turner - YouTube

Elijah Hooker featuring American Idol contestant Caleb Johnson "Good Times Bad Times" Asheville NC - YouTube

I like this older one Caleb recorded in 2010, since it's an amazing vocal on a Journey song performed in a little bar with a small audience:

Journey Cover Faithfully - Caleb Johnson - YouTube

And this Led Zeppelin song he recorded in 2011 just blew me away !!!

Led Zepplin Whole Lotta Love Cover - Caleb Johnson - YouTube

The way he hit those Robert Plant notes near the end of Whole Lotta Love was absolutely incredible!

Caleb was born to be a Rock Star!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
I agree, and I think it's because Ben is competing directly with CJ and Dexter. The votes are being split. I'm wondering why none of the mentors (Randy) steered him away from this song, they must have known it was not a good choice.
Bummer. He seemed like a nice kid.

On another note, thank goodness they finally let the stylist's loose on the contestants! Everyone looked great, big improvements across the board. I especially like Sam's hairstyle, and MK's overall appearance - Love her hair all spiky and punk'd. Caleb didn't change much, but I don't think he needed to. The only mistake was Majesty's dress which I did not care for at all.
It just shows how everyone is different (which is a good thing)--- I loved Majesty's dress. I like that she has her own fashion style of not wearing skin-tight clothes, or even worse those leather-like leggings that they seemed to dress all of last year's contestants in, including Candace, on whom they did her no favor.

I want MK's sparkly black blazer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV