Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Actually, you have it backwards.

She wants to be called "Gee - na", but people were initially calling her "Jen-a" as in "Jennifer", since she spells her name "Jena".

She should have switched the spelling to Geena, as in Geena Davis.
I don't get why there was a problem with pronunciation. If her name was Lena, it would an "ee" sound not an "eh" sound. She was right to correct the mispronunciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:46 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I don't get why there was a problem with pronunciation. If her name was Lena, it would an "ee" sound not an "eh" sound. She was right to correct the mispronunciation.
Actually "Lena" is pronounced either as "Leh-na" or "Lee-na"

Lena (name) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I knew a few Russian ladies who were named "Elena", but, called themselves "Lena" pronounced "Leh-na"

Based on these user comments, it looks like "Jena" can be pronounced either way as well:

Behind the Name: Comments for the name Jena

Old 03-27-2014, 05:09 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
The Voice is so good, I can't get into Idol anymore. I finally stopped watching when I just couldn't take the sad stories anymore. That was after having to skip auditions because of crazy people being made fun of.

I will tune in towards the end though.
I agree that the Voice is good. I just tuned into Idol for the first time in forever and all the country fried accents were about to kill me. It reminded me of that scene from Sweet Home Alabama where Jake said "Honey, just cause I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid" I almost thought they were putting on the accents. My beighbor is from Alabama and she has a slight country accent but these people were really really backwoods sounding like how actors "think" they're doing the right accents. It just sounded so exaggerated to be legit.

It was really heavy. Especially the black guy. During his tape scenes he was country as hell but on stage with Ryan it was gone then he countried it back it. Almost like W Bush's fake ass accent. Mom and dad Bush don't sound that backwoods hick.

I thought they were all horrible. I love Florence Welch but Shake It Off vocally is a horrible song IMO so that girl who sang it didn't impress. The rock guy with the big forehead second to last they were drooling and foaming at the mouth over wasn't that great.

The Deliah singing guy looked boring and was boring. The Don't Speak guy wasn't too bad. The magenta haired girl was boring as hell. With the hair I thought she'd have some personality but it was bad all around. Styling and singing. She did sound like Stevie Nick though but Stevie is a great performer.

For me just tuning it for the first time the last girl singing Bring Me To Life was the best. Bar none. She was fantastic. She almost had a Amy Winehouse sound to her voice.

And honestly the rest faded into the background for me song, performance and personality wise.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 PM

550 posts, read 984,516 times
The Voice is not good this year. Nobody has stood out to me. Only the one lady who shrieks all of her songs. Oh well I guess she is shouting in tune.

Idol didnt do sob stories this year. The Voice had quite a few this year.

I also prefer unknowns from Alabama or out there than producer plants. Contestants that have failed record deals or famous on YouTube were obviously planted there by the producers. I dont mind If they sing in bars with a band, but some of the Voice contestants are professionals already.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:56 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
The Voice is not good this year. Nobody has stood out to me. Only the one lady who shrieks all of her songs. Oh well I guess she is shouting in tune.

Idol didnt do sob stories this year. The Voice had quite a few this year.

I also prefer unknowns from Alabama or out there than producer plants. Contestants that have failed record deals or famous on YouTube were obviously planted there by the producers. I dont mind If they sing in bars with a band, but some of the Voice contestants are professionals already.
They're not "planted" their by the producers --- they're invited. Several contestants have said that they were contacted and invited to audition for the show. It's "unknowns" are rarely as unknown as the ones on Idol.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,398,390 times
Much more enjoyable this year for me, and more to the point. Overall, far deeper bench for talent, and less carnival scenes early on.

My BEST three
Jena Irene
Alex Preston
Caleb Johnson

Maybe
Malaya (this girl is supremely talented)

These people should go home at some point. This is my order so far
Dexter Roberts (love the guy, but I don't see him as being anything special)
Jessica Meuse
CJ Harris
Sam Woolf

Much better chemistry amongst the judges, less silly stuff. Harry's been far better than I would have guessed.

I've forced myself to watch the Voice twice. I just don't like it. Dramatically lower-end "talent", and the judges and those chairs are pretty annoying.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Thinker View Post
Much more enjoyable this year for me, and more to the point. Overall, far deeper bench for talent, and less carnival scenes early on.

I've forced myself to watch the Voice twice. I just don't like it. Dramatically lower-end "talent", and the judges and those chairs are pretty annoying.
This.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:17 PM

550 posts, read 984,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
They're not "planted" their by the producers --- they're invited. Several contestants have said that they were contacted and invited to audition for the show. It's "unknowns" are rarely as unknown as the ones on Idol.
They are planted. They are not randomly chosen to audition based on their voice. They are invited and get to go ahead of random auditioners. Its based on producer invitations, not who is best vocally.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltowngirl25 View Post
They are planted. They are not randomly chosen to audition based on their voice. They are invited and get to go ahead of random auditioners. Its based on producer invitations, not who is best vocally.
Simliar to what happens on AI.

I'm bored with the singers on AI but will watch to see Harry and Keith.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:22 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
When I am home, I watch both American Idol and The Voice. I prefer The Voice. The chemistry between the judges is one of the reasons I like it. Also, I disagree about the talent on the show. I think they have some really talented singers. American Idol does not have anyone that stands out this year as much as in the past. Also, I do like the contestants from Alabama...being Southern is one reason I do like them, but I am not sure they deserve to win. If I had to pick a winner right now on AI, it would probably be Caleb or Jena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV