Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydnor3 View Post
Greetings, Group! Reading your posts is oddly cathartic and navigating all these words/feelings of everybody is almost as complicated as Vicki (OK, nothing is that complicated). I'm just oddly fixated on Vicki right now and want to know if she has always been this possessive about tangibles/intangibles or is this a quality that seems to be growing as the show progresses? Also, sorry, but I have some "new to the show questions" that I need to get out of the way (burning questions). The interior of Vicki's, Jeana's, Lauri's and Tamra's (Tamara's?) homes all seem to have been decorated by the same designer (or designing firm). Do you all think that the show does some "set design" inside of the homes? I notice that Gretchen's and Lynn's homes are much more personalized -- perhaps because they're new to the show. If they stay on in the show, it will interesting to see if their homes become more like the others as far as decorating goes. Also, all of the homes are always so orderly and clean. Do you all think that the show has people come in and do a thorough cleaning prior to filming? I did note Tamra quickly cleaning something on her floor prior to her dinner party -- but she was in a party dress and heels and seemed to be doing some sort of spot cleaning. Oops! Just a couple more questions and this stuff will (hopefully) be out of my system. Do you all think that when the show's characters dine out (while being filmed) -- that the show is paying for the meals? (I do understand that the show has a stylist for the women.) I wonder if they get to keep the clothes .... Finally, what does IMO mean? Promise, will definitely notch down my questions in the future -- but if anyone can answer some of these, it would certainly be appreciated. Thanks
I think it's cute that you're asking questions...it shows that you care! I'll try to answer some to the best of my ability.

Vicki has been possessive and has had a control issue from day one. You should've seen her a few seasons ago when all hell broke loose because the taxi service sent the wrong kind of vehicle for her family to ride in to the airport before they flew off into paradise (I can't remember exactly where they were going...Hawaii maybe?) That's the funny thing about her though...love her or hate her, she has some very entertaining mood swings.

IMO=in my opinion...sometimes people throw H in there too, so it translates to "In my honest opinion".

I am sure that Bravo pays for all their things. I noticed that on many reality shows, all the participants eat either catered food or lots of to go stuff, which to me means that the producers are paying. But I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure they keep their clothes too. That's free advertising for the makers

My take on last night's episode:

I know many of y'all don't like Gretchen, but I have to make two points. I totally agree that we've only seen bits and snippets of these women's lives. Bravo is milking any little scene for all it's worth for the sake of ratings, popularity, etc. We only see the "interesting" stuff, but I'd bet that Gretchen is at the hospital much more than they show. While I'm on the subject, some of you have talked about making judgments. We can't knock one another for doing so; we judge strangers on the street everyday. However, the phrase, "Don't judge a book by its cover," is wise to use...even on reality shows. The editors are trying to make bank. They're turning whoever they want into villains. In real life, I may be the nicest person in the world, but if they want to turn me into an ignorant, sexist, ageist, racist jerk, they can manipulate the scenes in order to do so. Having said that, I can no longer judge ANY of these women in real life--only what I see every Tuesday night (or in this case, Wed night b/c I just watched the episode).

...and for Pete's sake, stop the arguing! This is a place to relax, have a martini, and respectfully disagree....if y'all don't stop, we're making a bonfire and we're eating s'mores and we're going to sing songs and hug, damnit! Don't you guys hate it that there's a BIG time peacemaker in this forum?

Now, for GRETCHEN--I do think she's a little gullible, but man...she's had a crash course on growing up. Whether she loves Jeff or not, she's done a lot for him. I feel that if she didn't really love him, she would've left him a while ago. Was he diagnosed with leukemia before or after they became a couple?

LYNNE got some cool points in my book, but then I feel like she's the pot calling the kettle black. She's playing peacemaker--which I respect--but her daughter's boasting about being a 17-year old drunk who can't bowl without getting wasted. If I were Lynne, I would leave the show. She really has a good heart, but her priorities are not in the right place, and Raquel is only hurting her image as a classy housewife...if that's what she's trying to persuade people that she is.

JEANA--what can you say about her? She's like the momma of the group...keeps everyone as grounded as possible. I don't like the fact that she seems to defend Vicki in next week's episode. Poor Lynne is just trying to be a part of the group and they are just being childish!

What can I say about TAMRA that y'all haven't said already? Good job, team! Beat me to it. There's nothing that could be said to justify her behavior...I still think RYAN is at least bisexual. And his cool points are in the negatives now...he couldn't be man enough to hit on Gretchen while sober...had to take the easy route and wait until she was trashed. I think it's cool that SIMON is from England...I had no idea, though I picked up on the fact that he did talk a little differently a while ago.

I think karma hit VICKI....she treats Don the way she does, but her own mother won't tell her she loves her. But Vicki is still funny to watch.

That's all I gotta say about that for now...can't wait for next week...despite the fact that the show is a trainwreck, this could be the best season yet...I love drama, can't help it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,968,632 times
I am new here, since I just found out there is a thread about THOC.

All I can say is, I can't wait for the New York City Housewives to come back in Feb.!
The OC housewives are so trashy, well, with the exception of Jeana.
After last nights show, I have lost all respect, which wasn't that much, for Gretchen.
What a bunch of classless women.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,772,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
And so in your mind... everyone should act the way you did???

I had a close loved one who passed away and it was touch and go every day.... for 4 years. Think I should'a done the same thing you did and if I didn't I get no sympathy from you?

Wow. Just wow.
I really do not give a cat's ass what you think.

I made my choice to go the hospital and be near my husband while he was in a life threatening coma. I did not choose to go out and get wasted, and hang all over a kid 8 years younger than I. I ACTED like I really did give a damn if my husband lived or died. That was my choice, and yeah, I felt it was right: FOR ME. And yes, I feel that Gretchen made some damn **** poor choices, that will come back to haunt her.

DO have a nice day now.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,931,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post

I made my choice to go the hospital and be near my husband while he was in a life threatening coma. I did not choose to go out and get wasted, and hang all over a kid 8 years younger than I. I ACTED like I really did give a damn if my husband lived or died. That was my choice, and yeah, I felt it was right: FOR ME. And yes, I feel that Gretchen made some damn **** poor choices, that will come back to haunt her.

DO have a nice day now.

Wow... you're a work of art. So nice of you to take the time to elaborate so eloquently.

And if you truly don't care what other people think, then perhaps you could save yourself some time in posting up and trying to defend your judgmental position on how someone else choses to deal with a situation in their life. (Pssst.... Now's when you post up with that snappy (albeit overused) comeback that "this is the internet and a free country and I can post wherever I want and say whatever I want, it's my opinion and it's always right". Just thought I'd save ya the time in trying to figure out where that goes.)

Thanks for answering the question, btw. You did answer it, right? Eh... never mind.

And, FTR, the key word you used was "your choice" in handling the situation you were in... yet you feel the great need to condem anyone who doesn't make your choice, as if fire and brimstone will get them in the long run for not doing things the way you chose to and they'll live forever with regret.

Life really doesn't work that way but I'm sure you knew that already.

Different choices for different people and many different scenario's to go along with it all. Put your husband in the hospital for as long as Gretchen's.... well, that's not fair 'cuz you can't even imagine that. But I can tell ya, things would'a been different. And that's not saying you would love your husband any less. It's simply saying, things would have been different. Nothing complicated about it. They would have. And someone would'a seen you at the grocery store, you'd have smiled and said 'hi' and they'd run home to post on the internet what a horrible a person you were for not being in the hospital 24/7 and the fact that you were smiling while your hubby was struggling... blah, blah, blah.

Sometimes I feel karma visits those who judge too much a little more than it visits those who can give the benefit of the doubt and make an attempt to put themselves in that other persons shoes. And that's a scary thought.. even though you don't give... whatever animals behind you referenced, about anyone's thoughts.

And I had yet another excellent day... and tomorrow looks even more promising! Can't beat 83 degrees in January! Everything else is just a cherry on the cake of the day! Thanks so much!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
whoa peeps.............you guys know I can be very hard headed and outspoken but come on......I enjoy posts by almost everyone here until it takes a turn toward the personal nature. Let us all take a deep breath, relax..........remember we're all here because we love to hate these self-absorbed OC women. They put themselves out there knowing full well we-the viewers are gonna critique everything they do. I would expect the same if I were dumb enough to go on a reality show.
But here we should "try" to avoid personal attacks in the open forums and "try" to follow TOS--right?
Now let's bash and trash the ones we came here to talk about.
~~~~~~peace~~~~~~

Old 01-15-2009, 07:14 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I enjoy posts by almost everyone here until it takes a turn toward the personal nature. Let us all take a deep breath, relax...
But here we should "try" to avoid personal attacks in the open forums and "try" to follow TOS--right?
Now let's bash and trash the ones we came here to talk about.
~~~~~~peace~~~~~~
You're right of course. But, that's a lot easier to do when people like sweetie over there aren't judging you and your ideas on one hand and then attempting to condemn you for doing the same w/ someone (on tv for goodness sakes) on the other.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkadellia View Post

DO have a nice day now.
Come on, ladies! No need to snark on each other when we have a veritable FEAST with the 'ladies' of the OC.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Clearly it's time I resume my cocktail service!

Ladies? I'll start with your past standing order of 3 martinis-2 dirty, 4 Chardonnays and 3 Merlots. I'll throw in a free order of edamame and a basket of poppers to try and restore civility

Old 01-15-2009, 11:39 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,931,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
You're right of course. But, that's a lot easier to do when people like sweetie over there aren't judging you and your ideas on one hand and then attempting to condemn you for doing the same w/ someone (on tv for goodness sakes) on the other.

Let it go.

Everyone else has.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM

658 posts, read 1,784,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Come on, ladies! No need to snark on each other when we have a veritable FEAST with the 'ladies' of the OC.
Agreed. As much as dislike the Real Housewives franchise they've provided quality snark-worthy material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV