Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times

Advertisements

Torchwood Children of Earth miniseries shown in the UK over 5 days in the summer of 2009 was brutal. Is British TV this emotional?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 04:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
How is its emotional content different from what we see on American television programs such as Sleeper Cell, The Wire, 24?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
How is its emotional content different from what we see on American television programs such as Sleeper Cell, The Wire, 24?
For starters, Sleeper Cell and The Wire were on premium cable channels. I never saw 24, but I wasn't aware if it dealt with themes that were that shocking.

I suppose I should have qualified my point by mentioning broadcast "over the air" or "terrestrial" television.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:44 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
For starters, Sleeper Cell and The Wire were on premium cable channels.
So? :shrug: If you prefer, The Shield, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.

Quote:
I never saw 24, but I wasn't aware if it dealt with themes that were that shocking.
A government agent deciding to let a nuclear bomb go off on American soil isn't shocking? A cop who loves his children like the best father on earth killing people under color of authority isn't shocking? Walter White's progression isn't shocking? Don Draper's?

Quote:
I suppose I should have qualified my point by mentioning broadcast "over the air" or "terrestrial" television.
Huh? BBC America is a cable channel here. It's not even on the basic or extended tier, but on an even higher tier.

Sorry, I'm just confused about the highlighting of Children of Earth. It seemed to be pretty-much standard stuff these days, on the better side of the scale.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
I think that much of the impact of COE came from the fact that it was shown on consecutive days, approximating "real time."
I agree that it was extremely emotional particularly because the focus was on children and dealt with questions of how they are valued in a first-world society.
It was also highly critical of government, much the same way as is "In the Loop" or "The Thick of It" but without the humor to take some of the edge off. What do generally good people do in such circumstances?

And of course, for those (like me) who were already highly vested in the characters, the loss of life and heart-breaking decisions raised the level to almost unbearable proportions.

As for whether this is "typical" of British TV, I think that in some ways, the Brits are much more ruthless, and/or perhaps more pragmatic, with regard to portrayals of their own failings.
We are starting to catch up, but, we have quite a ways to go yet.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I think that in some ways, the Brits are much more ruthless, and/or perhaps more pragmatic, with regard to portrayals of their own failings.
It seems that way sometimes, but conversely patriotism also seems very strong in the UK. I would go with pragmatic.

Despite the highly artificial chain of events in the TV show leading to the moral dilemmas, it is difficult not to believe that such decisions can arise in real life.

Hypothetically with Africa exploding from 1 to 2 billion in a little more than 30 years, there is a possibility of a catastrophe of such epic proportions that it will make all previous human catastrophes pale in comparison (black death, influenza of 1917, WWI, WWII, Chinese famine of 1960, Ukrainian famine, Biafra famine). How will people react once the gut wrenching cries are done? You could combine the death toll of all those historical events, and you still would hardly make a significant dent in African population growth.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:08 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Despite the highly artificial chain of events in the TV show leading to the moral dilemmas, it is difficult not to believe that such decisions can arise in real life.
I agree. I think it is very easy to imagine people in certain positions referring to their fellow country people as "units" and making decisions based on this sort of neutralized thinking.
On my worst days, I expect some already do.

While not executed nearly as well, "Miracle Day" also deals with some very difficult moral dilemmas.

Such is the power of a good science fiction story.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
On my worst days, I expect some already do.
Of course. I always remember a moral exercise given to us in 10th grade that was said to be based on a real life situation. We were given a three sentence bio of 10 people, and we could only save 2 of them from a fatal kidney disease. There were no monsters in the group. All the kids happily went about choosing the two people. We all presented our arguments, and when it was all done, we were told that in real life the 2 that were chosen were chosen by dice. None of us thought of that. None of the kids said that they didn't have the right to make such a decision based on superficial descriptions.

While you could say we were just kids, I don't think people would choose random selection given a choice like that.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:16 PM

I finally saw Torchwood, Miracle Day, the final season of Torchwood that they did as crossover with Starz (with more American stars). A lot of lame jokes about British slang ("cash point") and American acronyms ("ATM").

The British cast returns
  • John Barrowman: Captain Jack Harkness
  • Eve Myles: Gwen Cooper
  • Kai Owen: Rhys Williams

The American cast (2 good characters and 2 bad characters)
  • Mekhi Phifer ... Rex Matheson (10 episodes, 2011)
  • Alexa Havins ... Esther Drummond (10 episodes, 2011)
  • Bill Pullman ... Oswald Danes (8 episodes, 2011)
  • Lauren Ambrose ... Jilly Kitzinger (7 episodes, 2011)

It was a little "meh", but I still hope it returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV