Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 12:41 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times

Advertisements

I had high hopes for this show, particularly because I'm a Wendy McClendon-Covey (did I get the name right?) fan (since Reno 911). Unfortunately, they did the whole dad is dumb thing, and the comedy in general seems a bit like slapstick. Did not enjoy it much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 02:19 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
OMG, I thought it was awful. one thing that got to me was they used a LOT of new Millennium vocabulary that we would have never used in the 80's

No one ever said a$$bag back then, and we didn't know about "eating our feelings". There were many many other glaring examples.

And they were not countered by anything particularly relevant to the 80s. Dad bought the kid an REO Speedwagon cassette for his birthday. Okay, they threw in a lot of 80s references, but what was funny about that They could have put the same joke in a modern day sit-com using a Justin Timberlake CD.

All the acting was overacting and the jokes were just not funny, regardless of the time setting.

The makers of The Wonder Years are rolling over in their graves. The Wonder Years brought back a time people were nostalgic for. NO ONE is nostalgic for the 80s.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
NO ONE is nostalgic for the 80s.
I am! Which is why I was soooo disappointed. The only thing that was nostalgic to me were the mom's jumpsuits! I wore those back then...fuschia and black! LOL

Old 09-25-2013, 05:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
"The Goldbergs" was TV's first sitcom.

"The Goldbergs" was a vaudeville show that premiered in the Catskills in 1925. The show revolved around the lives of Jewish immigrants, Molly and Jake Goldberg, and their two children. It became a radio hit and one of the earliest shows on TV. The first episode on IMDB is listed as 1949, but there were shows before that whose records have been lost.

Aug. 29, 1949
The Distinguished Guest
The Goldbergs, just back from their vacation in the Catskills, invite a new acquaintance to dinner. Jake would like to go into a partnership with their "distinguished guest," and expects the dinner to be a turning point in his life.

Oct. 15. 1951 (first episode of I love Lucy)
The Girls Want to Go to the Nightclub
It's Fred and Ethel's 18th wedding anniversary, Ethel wants to go to the Copa Cabana and Fred wants to go to the fights.

Gertrude Berg was popular enough that several other networks lured radio stars to the new medium. "The Aldrich Family," "The Life of Riley" and "Lum and Abner" all premiered in 1949. In 1950, CBS program executive Harry Ackerman decided to repurpose the radio show "My Favorite Husband" for television. He approached the show's female lead, Lucille Ball, about creating a television version. She agreed to do the program if it also featured her real-life husband, Desi Arnaz. Although three of the most popular programs at the time were ethnic sitcoms ("The Goldbergs," "Mama" and "Amos and Andy"), studio executives balked at the idea of showing a Cuban band-leader as a typical American woman's husband.
My family used to watch those shows on TV. I wondered if this would be an updated version but it was nothing like it. I don't know if the name was a coincidence or the producers thought it was supposed to be some sort of tie but if they did, they were way off the mark.

Gertrude Berg was a pioneer in sitcoms being one of if not the first woman to produce and write her show. You can rent some of the original "Goldbergs" on DVD from NetFlix.

Regarding the popularity of ethnic shows at the time, there was one other on TV. "I Remember Mama" which began in 1949. It was based on the book (1943), play 1944, and movie (1948) "Mama's Bank Account" about a first generation Norwegian couple and their children. The TV Momma was Peggy Wood and the eldest son was Dick Van Patten. The movie mama was Irene Dunne.

Last edited by Minervah; 09-25-2013 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: adding dates

Old 09-26-2013, 11:50 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
The middle son was the most annoying, poorly acted role ... he is the primary reason that I'm done with it. I can't wait for when it's cancelled and then Garlin can let loose on what a horrible show it was!

Old 09-26-2013, 01:28 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,489 times
I DVR'd and tried a bunch of the new comedies this season (Dads, Brooklyn 99, Mom, Trophy Wife, and The Goldbergs) and everyone of them was awful. I couldn't make it through a single episode of any of them, except for Brooklyn 99 which I got through 1 and half way through the 2nd.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
I tuned in for the nostalgia but was very disappointed. The yelling was funny at first but then became grating and annoying.
All in all, it just wasn't very funny.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
It was pretty awful. So was Trophy Wife.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:26 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I DVR'd and tried a bunch of the new comedies this season (Dads, Brooklyn 99, Mom, Trophy Wife, and The Goldbergs) and everyone of them was awful. I couldn't make it through a single episode of any of them, except for Brooklyn 99 which I got through 1 and half way through the 2nd.
I guess I dont have a good sense of comedy. I found humor in (and will continue to watch) Mom, The Goldbergs and Back In The Game. We have Trophy Wife recorded but I havent seen it yet.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:01 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I wanted to love it (as a child of the 80s), but it was so nonsensically and predictably terrible, we turned it off after grandpa ran into the drive-thru restaurant.
Lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV