Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
It was a contest.She did work very hard winning it. They should disqualify her? Maybe they should look at the rules. But if they say you can only lose up to a certain percentage and 3 people hit that then what??
Strangely enough, the best analogy I can come up with is something like a hot dog eating contest. The winner is the person who eats the most hot dogs. Not the person who eats enough to be full, but stops before they make themselves sick. Add to it the problem of not knowing how many hot dogs the other competitors are eating, but thinking they can probably eat at least as many as you can.

If she abided by the rules that they presented her when she signed up, then she has earned the prize. The problem is that there appears to be an inherent flaw in the rules that allows and even encourages this sort of thing. It's kinda surprising that it took 15 seasons for someone to get to this point.

The good news is, all of this attention will hopefully place pressure on the show to get Rachel some help if the needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 02:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
It was a contest.She did work very hard winning it. They should disqualify her? Maybe they should look at the rules. But if they say you can only lose up to a certain percentage and 3 people hit that then what??

I think there should be something in the rules that prohibits people from going into the underweight range for their height.

I also think that viewers should vote on the winner from the final 3.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:02 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
She looks like a 55 years old

that what extreme weight loss can do to you i guess

i was shocked when i learned her real age! not even my grandmother has that much wrinkles

The one in the right looks like the mom of the one in the left

Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Strangely enough, the best analogy I can come up with is something like a hot dog eating contest. The winner is the person who eats the most hot dogs. Not the person who eats enough to be full, but stops before they make themselves sick. Add to it the problem of not knowing how many hot dogs the other competitors are eating, but thinking they can probably eat at least as many as you can.

If she abided by the rules that they presented her when she signed up, then she has earned the prize. The problem is that there appears to be an inherent flaw in the rules that allows and even encourages this sort of thing. It's kinda surprising that it took 15 seasons for someone to get to this point.

The good news is, all of this attention will hopefully place pressure on the show to get Rachel some help if the needs it.
I agree with this completely.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
She looks like a 55 years old

that what extreme weight loss can do to you i guess

i was shocked when i learned her real age! not even my grandmother has that much wrinkles

The one in the right looks like the mom of the one in the left
That's what happens when people gain extreme weight. It stretches out their skin that badly.

Her weight loss isn't to blame for how old she looks. Her weight gain is what did that to her.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's what happens when people gain extreme weight. It stretches out their skin that badly.

Her weight loss isn't to blame for how old she looks. Her weight gain is what did that to her.
Wrong. I was ten years older than she is now when I hit my lowest weight, and even MY face didn't look that bad. She has no fat under her skin. Her face looks like a skull with spandex stretched over it.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Wrong. I was ten years older than she is now when I hit my lowest weight, and even MY face didn't look that bad.
How tall are you? What was your highest weight prior to hitting your lowest weight, and what was your lowest weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
She has no fat under her skin. Her face looks like a skull with spandex stretched over it.
I don't see any skin stretched on her face now. I see folds of skin. Her skin looks very stretched in the heavier picture.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
How tall are you? What was your highest weight prior to hitting your lowest weight, and what was your lowest weight?
5'6" tall.
257 highest weight.
97 lowest weight.

So...I was skinnier than she is now. Current weight is 121 lbs.

Quote:
I don't see any skin stretched on her face now. I see folds of skin. Her skin looks very stretched in the heavier picture.
Figure of speech. Would you prefer I say "skull with skin loosely draped over it"?

My point is that she looks like crap.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:27 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
Quote:

No I disagree with this. I have never been overweight but have been underweight. When I get too low my face looks like this ladies. Not pretty at all.
In my opinion there were no rules for this current ladies group of contestants but for the future there should be guidelines one can't dip below a healthy bmi range. Lets say she dropped even lower weight before the end when would people say enough? Would people say if she was 95 that it went to far or it was ok because it was a contest? If there are no rules in place in the future this could happen. People don't understand how deadly eating disorders are. I know people who have not even been underweight but have lost their life because of their behaviors. Possibly she will see the light and find a healthy balance but the thing with anorexia is once you are trapped in the mindset it is very hard to get out.
On a side note the show probably got even more viewers because of this issue and though it is sad they are probably more concerned with amount of viewers then this ladies health

Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
DaniellaG -- so true and wise. I can't rep you again, so consider yourself repped.

I can't explain what I mean by this, but maybe I've worked with so many hospice people, I saw an alarming death glow in Rachel's eyes. It's a thing you sense, not quantified by her thin-ness. That may be what the finalists in the famous gif that's going around the internet were seeing.

I am very sure that Rachel is taken well in hand by professionals, so that her mom doesn't sue the ish out of this show and before Miss Rachel becomes really ill. I am just very concerned about the message her "win" has sent to people whose eating is disordered in any way.

Seeing Rachel like that has killed my interest in the show. I've followed TBL through the disaster that was Conda, that 31 year old Italian guy that cried for his mama, and lots of other drama, because I really like to see inspiring stories.

And also, I don't like how Bob and Jillian have thrown Dolvett under the bus in their public statements. They are just lucky this hasn't happened before to one of their team members, for instance Tara, who was crazy competitive like Rachel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV