Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 02:59 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
I was very surprised by Tim's confrontation. I don't think I've ever seen him do anything like that on any show he has been on. Certainly was a smack down for Gretchen though. And validating for the other team members who may have felt steam-rolled over by her. I will be curious to watch her behavior in the next episode.

In my experience, people who are very domineering like that never get confronted on it because most people are so intimidated by them. So they never really get a sense of how they affect others. I think this will be one of those moments in Gretchen's life where someone really held a mirror up for her. I doubt she will ever forget being called out by Tim Gunn like that.
I think it was more of a smack down for the idiot designers who failed to realize that this was a competition and at no point did the rules say "follow Gretchen." It's not her fault that they all followed her like mindless puppets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 05:12 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,259 times
Y'all have said everything that could've been said about Gretchen, so there's nothing I can really add. I will say, however, that I hope Tim has some more up his sleeve and rips Ivy a new one next. I thought I would actually like her. She's got just as much mouth as Gretchen does. How dare her team not win because they were the high and almighty!?! Get a grip, girl, and learn how to make better clothes.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:04 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Sorry I took so long to respond to this week's show. I missed it on Thursday due to work and just watched it tonight. I didn't want to know what happened before I watched it.

I agree with everyone who thought Ivy should have went home. Her design was dreadful. Gretchen is a manipulator, but she does have talent. She was so busy being a control freak until her own design, or lack of it, suffered accordingly. It was probably a good lesson for her, as well as the others who didn't stand up for themselves in an individual way.

Especially after watching the 'extended judging' portion on HGTV, I think Tim G. was not only within his rights to say what he did....but I believe he spoke for all the judges who were equally as frustrated.

Regarding the previous episode, I'm glad you liked the hats soda.....I guess I have no fashion sense. I didn't like them at all.

Last edited by GloryB; 08-29-2010 at 08:12 PM..

Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Sorry I took so long to respond to this week's show. I missed it on Thursday due to work and just watched it tonight. I didn't want to know what happened before I watched it.

I agree with everyone who thought Ivy should have went home. Her design was dreadful. Gretchen is a manipulator, but she does have talent. She was so busy being a control freak until her own design, or lack of it, suffered accordingly. It was probably a good lesson for her, as well as the others who didn't stand up for themselves in an individual way.

Especially after watching the 'extended judging' portion on HGTV, I think Tim G. was not only within his rights to say what he did....but I believe he spoke for all the judges who were equally as frustrated.

Regarding the previous episode, I'm glad you liked the hats soda.....I guess I have no fashion sense. I didn't like them at all.
yea, Ivy shoulda went then Gretchen. Look how much time they actually spend together then how much we actually see........I'm sure Gretchen is far more manipulative and bossy than we will ever know.
Rock on with yo bad self Tim Gunn!

Old 08-29-2010, 09:53 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,380 times
Did anyone catch the "we only judge on what we see here" by the judges? I wasn't sure if that's the way they always do judging or not.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Did anyone catch the "we only judge on what we see here" by the judges? I wasn't sure if that's the way they always do judging or not.
That's bull, I don't believe that! It seems like they are often judging on who makes for the best TV, and the producers have their say too.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:36 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
I don't even know why they said that. Season after season, we have heard them talk about "wanting to see more" of a designer or "this isn't characteristic of his/her work". In general I agree that someone shouldn't go home for their first/only dud. It does seem fair to look at a piece in relationship to the designers other work. If there is a pattern (no pun intended) of a problem like no taste, bad construction... that is different than if the designer struggled with a particular challenge.

And those are also my reasons why I think Ivy should have gone home over AJ. Nothing she had done has stood out as anything that I need to see more of. I don't think AJ had a snowball's chance, but it would have been better to see him go home for something that looked like his work.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:23 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,275 times
I think the only thing that saved Ivy was that she did complete her (vomitrocious) outfit. AJ only had 1 ugly piece up there which wasn't even finished. I feel sorry for him though.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
I've never seen it be a 'per show' judging basis....nor should it be. I think when Michael K. said it, it was his way of advising Gretchen that her previous good design work might not save her this time just BECAUSE the end result was so bad for the whole team and was obviously her fault. In the end though, I think this was the save factor for both her and Ivy. Maybe it shouldn't have been....but clearly it was since Ivy's design sucked and Gretchen actually bullied her whole team into a crappy concept with lousy execution.

I felt sorry for AJ too fruitlassie. He just seemed like such a sweet fun guy.

Did anyone else notice Casanova's elf shoes? Some of his stuff has really been off the wall, but he does have an interesting flair. Loved his outfit this week!

Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times
Tim Gunns smackdown of Gretchen was the single best moment of the season so far. Last weeks episode was the best of the season so far as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV