Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

I meant to mention - if you go to Project Rungay, the boys do a recap of Fashion week - look for Front Row at Fashion week. Once you see that, every single design we've seen on Project Runway makes sense. The off center angled necklines, the combo of stripes and designs, the flowing weird hemlines. All there. And not all of it's on the runway - it's being worn by the fashionistas.
I guess it is hard coming up with a unique enough designs every year to make people feel like they have to go out and buy new stuff. These people consider themselves 'artists' when really all they are in the end is a means to catapult people into feeling they have to update their clothes/shoes/accessories. It is the same thing they do with car designs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 03:20 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,803 times
Actually they are artists. If they didn't come up with new designs they wouldn't make any money. I don't think anyone complains when a painter comes out with a few new pieces every year. Similarly, musicians may not come out with new albums every year, but they do have new ideas floating around in their head.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:56 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Actually they are artists. If they didn't come up with new designs they wouldn't make any money. I don't think anyone complains when a painter comes out with a few new pieces every year. Similarly, musicians may not come out with new albums every year, but they do have new ideas floating around in their head.
I should have worded my post differently. I know they are 'artist', and I respect that, but at the end of the day, it is about making money on a product....regardless of what that product may be. People say it is only about their art, but obviously it isn't or they would paint, sing, design and act without it being for sale. Did that make sense?

Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
None of the designers give me that "I can't wait to see what they made" feeling.
The last one that I got that feeling with was Seth Aaron.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:46 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I should have worded my post differently. I know they are 'artist', and I respect that, but at the end of the day, it is about making money on a product....regardless of what that product may be. People say it is only about their art, but obviously it isn't or they would paint, sing, design and act without it being for sale. Did that make sense?
I understand your point better now. That said, if you have a passion for the arts, you still need to make money, so why not make it your vocation and get paid for it? If you don't do that, how are you going to pursue your art to the degree it really needs to be pursued?

When you are making a living, you can't separate the financial, but I think creative energy is a very big part of it and hopefully artistic authenticity is a big part of it too.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Spoiler
The judges thought Gretchen's "high fashion" dress was GOOD? Seriously???

If it looks like a caftan worn by Rue McClanahan on the Golden Girls, it is NOT avant garde .....

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Spoiler
The judges thought Gretchen's "high fashion" dress was GOOD? Seriously???

If it looks like a caftan worn by Rue McClanahan on the Golden Girls, it is NOT avant garde .....
no kidding!!!!!
and the winner's mess of a dress???

and once again I thought Andy should have won. He was robbed--again.

~sigh~ I must be so fashion backward.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,529 times
Dark, Gretch was channeling Mother Earth. She is after all from Oregon. I was waiting for the model to break out tarot cards and a crystal ball.

I didn't care for any of the outfits, well except for Mondo's ready-to-wear, whatever it's called. Seriously though, his stuff is very urbanoutfitter-ish. Guys, go google it "Urban Outfitters", you'll see. The judging are kind of wacky this season. And who's the guess judge? So much lackluster tonight, in general for the entire show actually. A whole lot of BLAH and yet I keep watching.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I understand what you are saying, and it really says a lot about some people's attitudes about money. Why WOULDN'T we want to make a living doing what we are good at? I mean, if you love architecture, and you are good at it, why wouldn't you want to learn to be a great architect and make a living at it. IMHO That is the reason we were given that gift - to use it. The world needs all different kinds of people, and we are all hardwired to do different parts of the world's work.

Yet people who are good at some of the arts feel if they get paid for it, it makes it dirty or less valuable. "Oh, I just do this for the art" is disingenuous and is also why we hear about starving artists. There's often some sense of moral superiority about "not wanting to make money at this." I always want to slap'em and say - Knock it off! The world is better when people do what they love and get paid for it. (yes, within reason... I heard that )

As Reverend Ike once said, "The best thing you can do for the poor is not be one of them."

Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I can't believe Gretchen was in the top 3 with that...thing. Ugly, ill fitting and the colors? Yawn. Oh...and WTH with her supposedly having permanent dibs on certain colors?

I liked Andy's and Mondo's looks the best. I though Mondo's fit was off in the front but he used those stripes really well. His RTW was very flattering. I also really liked Andy's RTW.

Michael C? Eh...I agreed his HF look had too much train but I thought it was better than Christopher's mess of a dress. I also thought his RTW look fit like a glove. Was HEIDI of all people saying the dress was too short?? Seriously? I've seen some pretty short dresses come down that runway, I didn't think Michael C's was that short.<shrugs>.

April..enough of the black. Show you can do something different.

Both Ivy and Valerie deserved to go home. Horrible. Those blue dresses looked like something off the clearance rack at Dave's Bridal. The white dress was just ...boring and ill fitting. That RTW had no relationship to the HF look at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV