Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2010, 12:23 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times

Advertisements

Lol, I didn't care for any of the clothes, some were okay at best (and by 'some' I mean a few, one or two. Actually I can't remember which one, so what I meant is none of it.) but overall it's a blah-fest; run over to project rungay's site to see the final looks walking down the runway.

Anyways, I'm out. I don't care who wins or loses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

I'd like to see a link to where you found this 'proof.'

Even if it was inspired by an existing Japanese pattern, many new designs are just old designs brought back with a twist.

Andy's shirt isn't identical. The 'tails' on his shirt are longer, thinner, and more pointy.

I have to say, that shirt is beautiful. I'd buy it.
What do you think I did, design and sew a nearly identical top, put it on a mannequin, take a picture of it, merge it with Andy's design and then upload it here?

Here you go. Scroll down.

I'm not sure why it matters that the tails appear thinner (it very well could be because his fabric is lighter weight, so they hang thinner than a stiffer cotton would). It's the same freaking design. Aside from color, it doesn't get any more identical than that.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
What do you think I did, design and sew a nearly identical top, put it on a mannequin, take a picture of it, merge it with Andy's design and then upload it here?

Here you go. Scroll down.
I wanted to see the source because sometimes items were created by other designers AFTER the show was filmed but before it aired.

Quote:
I'm not sure why it matters that the tails appear thinner (it very well could be because his fabric is lighter weight, so they hang thinner than a stiffer cotton would). It's the same freaking design. Aside from color, it doesn't get any more identical than that.
No. His tails are significantly longer and narrower. It's not the fabric. His remind me of a court jester.

It's clear his isn't even done in the picture, there are still pins in it. Until you see the finished design, you really can't judge it.

His finished design might have more 'weaves' than the design you found, or it could end up having no tails at all and a finished edge with a zipper side to get it on.

Regardless, I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing back an old design. Commonly, all that's changed is the type of fabric is updated.

I don't think this is as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I wanted to see the source because sometimes items were created by other designers AFTER the show was filmed but before it aired.

No. His tails are significantly longer and narrower. It's not the fabric. His remind me of a court jester.

It's clear his isn't even done in the picture, there are still pins in it. Until you see the finished design, you really can't judge it.

His finished design might have more 'weaves' than the design you found, or it could end up having no tails at all and a finished edge with a zipper side to get it on.

Regardless, I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing back an old design. Commonly, all that's changed is the type of fabric is updated.

I don't think this is as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.
I've seen the final design. You can, too, if you want to.

And regardless of how long the tails might be, it's the SAME DESIGN. You don't get to copy a design to the letter, but add a couple of inches to the tails and call it an original design.

And it's not the first time Andy has copied another designer's work, either. One of his pieces for the New Balance collection for Heidi was a ripoff of the lululemon logo and the design that they put on the front of a lot of their sweatshirts.

See here and here.

New Balance had to modify that design so they wouldn't get sued for infringement! Andy's a wannabe hack.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
I've seen the final design. You can, too, if you want to.

And regardless of how long the tails might be, it's the SAME DESIGN.
His is very different. It's longer and lose at the waist, flapping away on the sides. The white one is more tailored and fitted.

It's simply a new interpretation of an old design.

Quote:
And it's not the first time Andy has copied another designer's work, either. One of his pieces for the New Balance collection for Heidi was a ripoff of the lululemon logo and the design that they put on the front of a lot of their sweatshirts.

See here and here.

New Balance had to modify that design so they wouldn't get sued for infringement! Andy's a wannabe hack.
That's not true. Earlier in the thread, I already provided proof that Project Runway designs are stolen by designers before the show airs.

Michael Kors himself steals designs from the contestants. Go back and look for my post with links.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:

His is very different. It's longer and lose at the waist, flapping away on the sides. The white one is more tailored and fitted.

It's simply a new interpretation of an old design.
I have no idea how you can say that. If 10 people go to JoAnn, buy that pattern, but buy 10 different fabrics, and the only thing different about any of them is the length of the tails, they're all still using SOMEONE ELSE'S PATTERN and not creating a NEW DESIGN of their own. This is a DESIGN competition, not a "give an existing pattern that someone else designed, a new twist by making a very slight modification" competition.
Quote:

That's not true. Earlier in the thread, I already provided proof that Project Runway designs are stolen by designers before the show airs.

Michael Kors himself steals designs from the contestants. Go back and look for my post with links.
It IS true. Try following current links and not going backwards. It would be physically impossible for Lululemon to have gone back in time to 1998, when they were established, to copy Andy South's 2010 sweatshirt design and make it their logo. Or do you think they've invented a time machine we don't know about?
Quote:
Where did the lululemon name and logo come from?

The lululemon name and logo was created by lululemon founder Chip Wilson. The stylized "A" logo which appears on lululemon clothing has had its share of interesting interpretations: from a girl's flip hair-do to sensual parts of a woman's body (that's for you to guess!). The "A" originally stood for the first letter in "Athletically Hip". Athletically Hip was one of 20 names originally proposed to the original design team. The original design team like the stylized "A" but they preferred the name "lululemon".

lululemon athletica, yoga-inspired athletic apparel: FAQ

Old 10-23-2010, 07:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I was completely underwhelmed this season. I am shocked that they chose Gretchen...

Old 10-23-2010, 09:05 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Well, well, well. . .

Andy appears to have copied a pattern from a Japanese pattern book for one of his Fashion Week pieces.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...stant-andy.jpg

Shame on him. I wonder if the judges or the producers will find out and disqualify him.
Eh - I'd give him a pass on that. Both blouses are variations of old origami clothing designs that I've seen in Hawaii for years. Just as April's designs with all the cutouts look a whole lot like the cutout dresses and blouses that have been showing up on international runways for the last couple of years, Andy took a cue from a style he saw growing up in Hawaii. His certainly is better made and better designed than the ebay one. IMHO, many of them have done the weaving technique for their clothes, it's just a design style.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:47 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
well I missed the show on Thursday night so didn't visit this thread until I had watched it tonight.
I'm underwhelmed! Especially after what I've seen in previous seasons.
Gretchen's collection looks like things I've seen at Goodwill or something someone would wear to Bingo night. Ghastly!

Andy,Andy,Andy---so disappointed in Andy.

Michael had NO idea what a collection was. Too bad because he deserved a spot in the F3 -more so than anyone..........IMHO. I didn't think he was truly crying but was upset. Probably upset that he didn't make it more after seeing the chaos Gretchen and Andy created. Lordy, I would have been insulted too ,to think that his creations were worse than theirs
Gotta admit I had NO idea he was gay. Knock me over with a feather. I am dead serious!

Mondo--well duh! We know he is going to win
I'm not a Mondo fan-of him or his clothes. Nope.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
well I missed the show on Thursday night so didn't visit this thread until I had watched it tonight.
I'm underwhelmed! Especially after what I've seen in previous seasons.
Gretchen's collection looks like things I've seen at Goodwill or something someone would wear to Bingo night. Ghastly!

Andy,Andy,Andy---so disappointed in Andy.

Michael had NO idea what a collection was. Too bad because he deserved a spot in the F3 -more so than anyone..........IMHO. I didn't think he was truly crying but was upset. Probably upset that he didn't make it more after seeing the chaos Gretchen and Andy created. Lordy, I would have been insulted too ,to think that his creations were worse than theirs
Gotta admit I had NO idea he was gay. Knock me over with a feather. I am dead serious!

Mondo--well duh! We know he is going to win
I'm not a Mondo fan-of him or his clothes. Nope.
Underwhelmed is a good word for it.

I think Michael should have been in the final 3. He talked about being married in the past and having a child so it wasn't totally obvious that he was gay, I can't remember if he specifically mentioned it or not.

I did not like Gretchen's clothes at all. I don't like Mondo's either, but I can see why others would. Overall, this season was not impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV