Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times

Advertisements

I thought Mondo should have won.

While watching the finale, I was quietly thinking "Wow, Jessica Simpson is a fat cow now" but didnt say anything about it. That is, until the wife said "Jessica Simpson looks horrible and fat. How did she let herself turn into a fat cow dog? Does she have thyroid problems or something?" I was LMAO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I think one thing to always consider is the key advertiser. In this case it happens to be Piperlime. They not only supply the accessories, but also offer the winner a contract with them.
Shoes, handbags, apparel and jewelry: Your insider's guide to shoes, apparel, handbags and more | Piperlime
(scroll to the bottom to see how invested they are in the show)

With that in mind and looking at their sweaters/coats for this year, it is obvious that Mondo's designs would not have fit in. He's in a different category. Gretchen's designs will fit in wonderfully since most of their stuff has very muted colors and many have that Bohemian look.

I think this is what Michael Korrs was alluding to when he insisted that Gretchen is designing what women are wearing 'now'.

Even though it is a design competition, it still comes down to following the money and what is marketable in the avenue available to them. So, I did understand their decision. The only thing tht threw me off were those odd panty designs. I have no idea who would wear that....but maybe it will be the next new thing. Who knows? (Bet you won't see MY thunder thighs wearing them in public...LOL!)

Mono's phone is probably at a constant ring from lots of celebrities and big designer names. He has a great future. I think they did him a favor not limiting his fashion sense under the confines of Piperlime. He is good enough to have his own name brand....whereas Gretchen may design for them, or someone similar, through out her whole designing career.

Andy had my favorite collection. I still wonder if that blouse-design-copy thing ended up being part of the decision making process we didn't hear about.....and probably won't. He seemed to take the loss well and almost as though he expected it.

I don't expect Jessica Simpson or anyone else to stay a size 0 forever. She can be any size she wants to be. I do think it would have been nice if she had fixed her hair and put on more makeup. She has the capacity to look really beautiful and it looked more as if she made no effort. I do think she tried very hard to say something nice about all the designers and I liked her for that quality.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:27 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Looking at Andi's designs close up from the link, I cannot believe he was dismissed so quickly. If they knew he ripped off another designer I think they would have mentioned it.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:33 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Interesting commentary:

Project Runway: Congratulations! | T Lo Page Two - Fashion, Television, Pop Culture

Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
This is the first time I didn't even feel a little bit of happiness for the winner...even Irina & Jeffrey got me a little verklempt but I was just numb & ready to change the channel as soon as they announced Gretchen as the winner.

I don't understand how Annie Hall pants, grandma panties and safari prints are anything new or exciting...good grief. What was with all the people saying "every woman would want to wear these clothes"...no, they do NOT.

I do understand the criticism about Mondo's stuff looking a little junior (but you could say the same for Betsey Johnson) and Andy's was far too subtle after some of the things he did during the season. It's just sad that the outcome wasn't about awarding true creativity even if they try to make it seem that way through all the challenges. I'd be lying if I said I won't keep watching though...the question is whether the really creative upcoming designers will choose not to go on PR after this debacle.

Can't wait for Mondo & Michael C.'s tv show!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I enjoyed reading this....thanks for posting it.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,336,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Awesome article. Thank you!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:22 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
OK, I did not get to see the last episode, but i am guessing Gretchen won. I really thought Monda was going to take the winners seat..Oh well. I actually was nt crazy about any of gretchens clothing. It seemed very hipster, or something.

But enough about her, What was with michael crying like a frwaking 2 year old. It is one thing to lose, but jeez, he was taking it to the limit, kinda like making a fool out of himself. way too emotional to be in a career like that, they are all cut throat, he would not have lasted a moment.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:35 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't understand why Michael didn't make it to the competition for having a one-color color scheme. Andy and Gretchen BOTH had collections with one color.
Same thing I said. No variety whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
She was definitely looking "chunky" tonight, and it really seemed as though she couldn't open her mouth all the way when she was talking. Really odd and (yikes ) no WAY should she even be thinking about wearing that polka dot dress!
I noticed that too she was kinda talking out the side of her mouth. It was hard watching her last night.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
Just went back and looked at the pictures of Gretchen's collection and I'm just beyond baffled. There were maybe 2 dresses that were almost decent looking but they had these bizarre jagged hemlines that looked like a cutting mishap --I guess that's her trying to be "edgy," literally! And the Santa Fe style jewelry that looks like an arrow pointing to the crotch...oy vey.

Wonder if there's any chance of getting some new judges next time. I used to like Michael & Nina but their stubbornness about wanting something you could sell in a department store (by which they must mean JC Penney or Kohl's, I guess) does not bode well for the future.

edit - there is a poll on the Lifetime site as to who had the strongest collection - Mondo is at 94% and Gretchen & Andy are each at 3%...LOL

Last edited by fruitlassie; 10-29-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV