Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:43 AM

850 posts, read 1,024,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
MeTv is a gift from the TV gods

I get to watch all the shows I did as a kid in the 60's and 70's and they hold up to the test of time. There just isnt new stuff like that on TV anymore. Great character acting and storylines that are really good for the dramatic stuff like Gunsmoke and Hawaii 5.0, and real harmless, funny stuff from the Monkees and Lost in Space type shows. One of my faves on retro TV is It Takes a Thief. Robt Wagners playboy Al Mundy character is pretty funny but the scenes of 60's europe are what keeps me watching. Its sort of a window back in time to the culture of that era. For a hopeless 60's romantic, I really like that aspect of it
I'm with you. I'll often get annoyed with contemporary programming and then go see what is on MeTV or Cozi or the other back channels and be quite happy. I also adore BevHillBillys and Marred w/Children so I am not proud.

Last edited by jayway; 10-23-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I am into season 2 of "Burn Notice" and am totally in love with it.
I started watching BN just a couple of years ago and marathoned my way to catching up. I'd be curious if/when/which season you think it starts going downhill/gets annoying. For me it was when the Cylons attack Earth and Westen foils the invasion with a bunch of tinfoil, a bong, 2 turtle doves and cameos from McGuyver *and* the Hass & KITT from Knightrider via wormhole timetravel. Oh yeah, spoiler alert - sorry!

Old 10-23-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Emergency! Someone we know has Season One from 1972. Talk about a blast from the past! LA in the early 70s, emergencies straight out of the 70s (hang glider accidents, etc.) and Randy Mantooth. What's not to love!
My local library had a bunch of seasons on DVD. Fun times. "<BBRRUP BRRRAP BRRRITZ> Engine 51, Station 51..." And GIL3, for some reason the relative deadpan of Randolph Mantooth's character reminds me of Martin Milner's from Adam-12.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,657,184 times
"Foyle's War," _"George Gently," and "Wild, Wild West."
Hadn't seen WWW since I was a kid - it is fabulous.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,018,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
My local library had a bunch of seasons on DVD. Fun times. "<BBRRUP BRRRAP BRRRITZ> Engine 51, Station 51..." And GIL3, for some reason the relative deadpan of Randolph Mantooth's character reminds me of Martin Milner's from Adam-12.
Something about the cheesy and overly dramatic music really cracks me up--ever since I watched those DVDs I find myself singing the "Emergency" tune to add a touch of drama to dusting, vacuuming, etc. It would make a ringtone! And you gotta love all the LA people from the early 70s and all the drug references. Every episode seems to have some guy who's stoned or some guy who has an accident and they find drugs on him, things like that.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,535,280 times
Just started binge watching Breaking Bad this week.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:11 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,808,996 times
My wife started watching 24 a few weeks ago with the 2004 season. I would watch every now and then. Now I am hooked as well. We are currently viewing the 2009 season. Audience channel is broadcasting.

Have never seen 24 before this.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
On hulu.com

The I.T. Crowd/British comedy
Hotel Babylon/British dramedy
Psych
Matilda/British comedy
City Homicide/British drama

Old 10-24-2013, 08:04 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,982,076 times
I don't know how long the Hallmark channel has been showing it but we got into the habit of watching 'The Waltons'. Good old fashioned family show. I'm interested in the Great Depression so the Walton's clothes, cars, housewares, and everyday living fascinate me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
I've started to get into Bonanza and Gunsmoke
Ha! I just discovered "The Big Valley", another 1960s western show. I had no idea the Dynasty chick and the Six Million Dollar Man starred in it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I don't know how long the Hallmark channel has been showing it but we got into the habit of watching 'The Waltons'. Good old fashioned family show. I'm interested in the Great Depression so the Walton's clothes, cars, housewares, and everyday living fascinate me.

Ha! I just discovered "The Big Valley", another 1960s western show. I had no idea the Dynasty chick and the Six Million Dollar Man starred in it.
Lots of solid life values lessons in The Waltons that seem to be missing nowadays.
I love seeing actors early in their careers - I also saw Lee Majors in The Big Valley for the first time a few months ago. Some other sightings - James Caan in Combat, Col. Klink (Werhner Klemperer?) in Lost in Space. Shucks another B/W show with both Sgt. Schultz and the good Colonel - show name escapes me - internet would know. :-) Obviously loads of this sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV