Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which program do you prefer?
The Daily Show 22 64.71%
The Colbert Report 12 35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,966,491 times

Advertisements

I assume pretty much everyone is familiar with both programs, just looking to see which one people prefer. Go into any depth you like, compare and contrast them however you see fit, just answer these questions in your posts.

-Which program do you prefer and why?
-Which program is more successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 09:13 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,782 times
I like The Daily Show a bit more because of all the "senior correspondents." Colbert is funny, too, but there's no variety to his schtick. I wish he add some cast members to break it up a bit.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM

404 posts, read 904,233 times
I prefer the daily show because John Stuart seems to give better interviews and his jokes seem more on the spot. Colbert leads his interviewees into his jokes and often cuts them off to get the joke in. I also don't think Colbert is as funny as he and everyone else thinks he is.

I think the Colbert is more successful based on me asking my friends this same question. Almost everyone seems to prefer Colbert.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Colbert's humor appeals to me more. It seems more clever to me, although it's true that sometimes the jokes are so subtle they go over my head. He seems to go for wry humor rather than "in your face" and I like that. I enjoy Colbert's wit and how he plays with language and the meanings of words. He seems more interested in listening to guests. And there's something about his delivery that I find more appealing. Stewart has more interesting correspondents, but Stewart himself doesn't appeal all that much to me. More often than not I give the Daily Show a try, get annoyed by Stewart's delivery or jokes that go on too long, quit after ten minutes and decide to to go get some errands done, and then return to watch Colbert in entirety.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:11 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Can't choose, sort of like trying to pick Bill Murry over Chevy Chase, Mash over Seinfeld, sweet potatoes over regular mashed potatoes, moose icream over rocky road. But if you hold a gun to my head, Colbert. Colbert's humor is just so far off the radar that people don't get the chance to make up their mind if they should respond or even have a choice in the matter. I Adore them both

Old 11-05-2013, 11:19 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
Daily Show. Stewart doesn't play a character like Colbert, which makes him more watchable. The ego of the Colbert character gets a bit old.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Daily Show. Stewart doesn't play a character like Colbert, which makes him more watchable. The ego of the Colbert character gets a bit old.
Agreed plus I love Samatha Bee.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,286,352 times
I'll give the nod to Stewart, because you really have too pay attention to follow Colbert's sarcasm. Colbert was good this morning about corporations feeling requirements for birth control in Obamacare is wrong based on religious beliefs. He said East Indian's should be exempt from workplace safety laws then due to their belief in reincarnation. People would just come back as something else if killed at work. Bottom line is corporations cannot be exempted from anything due to personal beliefs.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:03 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Can't choose, sort of like trying to pick Bill Murry over Chevy Chase, Mash over Seinfeld, sweet potatoes over regular mashed potatoes, moose icream over rocky road.
LOL, true. But given the challenge.... I'll pick:

Bill Murry over Chevy Chase
Mash over Seinfeld
Sweet potatoes over regular mashed potatoes
Rocky road over moose

Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL, true. But given the challenge.... I'll pick:

Bill Murry over Chevy Chase
Mash over Seinfeld
Sweet potatoes over regular mashed potatoes
Rocky road over moose
LOL! Believe it or not, those life changing food choices, I've had to deal with more often than I care to remember. I've actually walked away from the freezer case or just picked something like vanilla marshmellow, at dinner one person orders the sweet the other orders the white and the twain do meet on my plate. Now for Murray/Chase, Mash/Seinfeld, can't do it. Pull the trigger. Wait, wait, I'm leaning toward Murray
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV