Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:59 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
The value doesn't "disappear" but it is usually over inflated and just doesn't take comps into account which is SO dangerous
In Fixer Upper, some of those homes might be right for their clients but I would hazard a guess that they have really been over improved for the market and if existing homeowners don't put the same amount of monies into improving their homes, then I think the new buyers aren't going to hit their mark on resale...
I was just thinking that last night - someone bought a house for I think 262K and put almost 200K of renovation into it. Sure it looked great, and it was a large home on a big lot so the house itself could handle that much renovation. But they never ever talk about the comps. If houses in the area are selling for mid 260s, even unrenovated, you are never going to sell that house for the 485K or whatever pretend number they claimed it was now worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:52 AM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
^^^^ Glad I'm not the only one. The tag line "Now with all the improvements your house is worth $XXX!!" on all these shows is such a joke. Just like a new car, all that "value" disappears immediately if you actually go on to live in the place.

And I'm getting so sick of the way the scripts have been playing up the cute lovey-dovey interaction between Chip and Joanna that I fast-forward through all of those interludes. I watch the show to voyeurize all those weird old houses, dammit! I've noticed that claims of being "made for each other" and "soul mates" by many of my acquaintances foreshadowed a breakup in near future. Protesting too much.

I agree, that is annoying and not interested in their kids either, I have my own.
They did a mid century modern, actually it looked really nice. I did like it a lot.
Did they buy the Silo? That was the last episode I saw.

I like them, but I like "Tarek and Christina" ten times better. I also like Nicole Curtis show as well.

I don't understnad when they say, for instance, remodel a kitchen at 25K, then they say the house is worth 60K more....??? why, the new kitchen was only 25K, what warrants the 60K figure???? where di it come from? if the kitchen cost 25K the house will be 25K more....one of my pet peeves of the day

Old 04-01-2015, 12:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,755,733 times
Yes, they bought the silos.

I can't for the life of me remember where I read it but it gave more detail of how they do the show and the costs that it entails. I always wondered things like why don't they do the rest of the house, where are the owners previous furniture, cost factors, etc. and the article explained ALOT. If I can find it, I will post it.

On another note, they live not too far from where I live and my parents live even closer. They see the Gainses frequently coming and going from their home. They are HUGE in Waco, and I'm glad, but I would never move there just to have them do a home for me, as I have heard some of friends say they would do. That is crazy. I don't mind the way they are. It's corny but cute.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:33 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I want to know how they can build a new kitchen for $8K-$11K. We are looking to remodel the kitchen in our home and it will be minimum $25K.
none of these shows seems to take into account labor. love it or list it is the same way. I think their budgets are not reality based.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:01 AM

867 posts, read 1,371,306 times
Where do most of you live? Just curious because it seems that most of you have an unreasonable idea as to how much renovations could run.

I'm in Chicago and purchased my home 2 years ago fully remodeled. Before we found this home we were exploring a 203k option to find a fixer upper. I had three contractors on call and was never quoted over 35-40k for a gut rehab that included 40 inch cabinets, granite counters and refinished floors. In each estimate, both labor and materials were included in the final price.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 24,822 times
I don't think their budgets are too far fetched. Chip and Joanna get 30,000 from each client on the show. That's their fee and every other dollar noted is actual renovation cost.

I love the show, but I have very similar tastes to Joanna. Besides Sarah Richardson, Fixer Upper is on the only show worth watching for me. Nicole Curtis and that voice of hers makes me want to scream. I also feel like Nicole just has crappy taste. I applaud her for fixing up the old homes though and wish more people could see them for what they once were.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't know where you live, and I am not familiar with Waco, but I know that very inexpensive houses still exist in most of flyover country, and I enjoy watching shows with realistic prices.

Imagine if someone always lived in Toronto, California and the Northeast, and only got their real estate reality from HGTV.
I live in a small town in Ok. The majority of the housing is older homes, and by that I mean twenties and thirties. My house, which is quite a nice solid small house, is from 1930. We bought it for less than a down payment to hold the house in California.

I'd LOVE to see someone who took older houses and fixed them up and sold them as still small houses. At most, add a room. A lot of people who live in expensive apartments live in less sf than I do, but could buy most of the neighborhood for what they paid.

Yes I know, location location. But some of us do NOT want to live in a busy urban place and I'm sure there's people who'd like the idea. I'd really like to see diversity in housing over a bunch of couples who have swallowed the 'large room, open concept, nothing old' pill. It gets boring.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:47 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree, that is annoying and not interested in their kids either, I have my own.
They did a mid century modern, actually it looked really nice. I did like it a lot.
Did they buy the Silo? That was the last episode I saw.

I like them, but I like "Tarek and Christina" ten times better. ...

I thought I was the only one who got very tired, very quickly, of all the lovey-dovey-ness (to the point where it appeared to be phony) in every episode of Fixer-Upper.

And I, too, love, love, love Tarek and Christina's show Flip or Flop. It's pretty much the only show I watch on HGTV any more.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:23 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasThree View Post
I don't think their budgets are too far fetched. Chip and Joanna get 30,000 from each client on the show. That's their fee and every other dollar noted is actual renovation cost.

I love the show, but I have very similar tastes to Joanna. Besides Sarah Richardson, Fixer Upper is on the only show worth watching for me. Nicole Curtis and that voice of hers makes me want to scream. I also feel like Nicole just has crappy taste. I applaud her for fixing up the old homes though and wish more people could see them for what they once were.
This!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 PM

426 posts, read 505,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was just thinking that last night - someone bought a house for I think 262K and put almost 200K of renovation into it. Sure it looked great, and it was a large home on a big lot so the house itself could handle that much renovation. But they never ever talk about the comps. If houses in the area are selling for mid 260s, even unrenovated, you are never going to sell that house for the 485K or whatever pretend number they claimed it was now worth.
No, they seem to just spend to the level of the clients budget. That client had a $450,000.00 budget, which I think is the largest I have seen on Fixer Upper. I was totally in love with this show, but now, a bunch of things have begun to get on my nerves. Even this week- Joanna and Chip must have a new advertiser- Home Goods, so they went shopping there. She picked out 2 lamps and 2 wing back chairs. Now, I shop at Home Goods, and have bought some items for home decor, but it really bugged me that a "major purchase", like 2 club chairs, had to be bought there- not because they were quality, stylish, comfy etc. but because Home Goods is an advertiser. If I was giving a designer X amount of money for furnishings, I don't want them to buy someplace based on the TV show sponsor.

I agree with other posters that her use of Words, all around the house has been overdone and gets on my nerves. But, overall, I think she is an excellent designer and her overall design aesthetic appeals to me. I love that you could buy a house for way below your budget and then Chip and Joanna do all these amazing things to the exterior, the windows, doors, floors that make it a true standout. In "real life", you buy a house, and maybe you are able to tackle some of these areas, but the complete exterior/interior makeover makes this show unique. The settings of the homes seem to be lovely, but I guess the cameramen can compensate and only shoot stuff a certain way.

On the other hand, I love that Nicole Curtis has respect for the old and tries to reuse and remodel instead of tear up and replace. But, Nicole usually starts with a home with character and just brings it back to life. Most of the other shows just rip out and start over. I think, though, that Joanna, did say the cabinets were going to Habitat for Humanity, so that is better than the dumpster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV