Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:24 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times

Advertisements

It is irritating when someone announces they don't "even own a tv". They say they don't have the time to watch tv. Ok, whatever. I do not watch tv during the day most of the time. I watch tv at night and really enjoy it. I really don't care if someone owns a tv or not, just don't make it sound like I am some kind of idiot because I do. I ran into a woman that used to be a neighbor of mine. Her and her husband watched tv all the time. She lives on social security. Her husband died a number of years ago. I ran into her at the store and she proudly announced that she doesn't even own a tv, when the reality is probably broke and she doesn't want to/ or can't afford to fix or replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I don’t own a TV because there’s nothing to watch. I often wonder what the BMI and IQ levels are for people who watch Pawn Stars and Dog the Bounty Hunter.

There are some things to watch on TV, but it’s certainly not worth shelling out the money to get dozens of channels of crap. Maybe that's why Hulu and Netflix are popular.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I don’t own a TV because there’s nothing to watch. I often wonder what the BMI and IQ levels are for people who watch Pawn Stars and Dog the Bounty Hunter.

There are some things to watch on TV, but it’s certainly not worth shelling out the money to get dozens of channels of crap. Maybe that's why Hulu and Netflix are popular.
LMAO There's the guy you all have been talking about! (IOW, you must be fat and stupid if you own a tv. How about ugly too?)

I've never NOT owned a TV since my family moved off the farm in '58, but I've been without. This wouldn't happen today with cell phones and Dish TV, but in 1976 we bought one of the first new homes going up in a new subdivision. When we occupied ours it was the only finished house on the street, and there were no cable tv lines nor phone lines available!

What a wonderful summer that was. We were out nearly every night and all weekend long, hiking and picnicking, golfing, you name it. We talked about how we couldn't wait to get lines to our house, but secretly I loved it.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:40 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Pay no attention to the poor people. :shudders:

Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I know a few people who tell me this, some don't have the interweb or a cell phone either. They read books, meditate, chant to some goat or something.

Anyway, having a tv set doesn't mean you are required to sit and watch Honey Boo Boo. There are actually some great programming, you just have to look for them.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
people announce it because it was probably hard for them to give it up, so they have successfully given it up and now have vast amounts of time to discover life more...its a great feeling i would suggest it

Old 11-17-2013, 01:01 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I think this subject has been beaten to death on this forum so lets beat it a little more. Taking the previous threads on the topic, many people like to post on how TV is such a terrible thing blah, blah, blah but then go on to say they only watch shows like PBS or other learning or cultural channels so it's okay for them because their choices are educational. The implication being the rest of us poor slobs who watch TV for entertainment purposes only are cretins with IQ's of 36.

I always think of my brilliant psychologist cousin and loves all kinds of goofy sitcoms. I think he even watches "Duck Dynasty." My doctor loves the show "Grimm." As I posted in another thread about this subject, I read where John Lennon used to zone out on TV for days watching all kinds of shows, none of the the least bit educational. I have a theory that there are two kinds of people who watch the educational shows on TV. The first are those who watch to enjoy them and learn. The second are those who watch them in order brag they watch them and speak in scornful tones as to how low everyone else's IQ's who don't must be.

My philosophy is live and let live. I like TV. I will always like TV. I don't like everything on TV. I don't watch cop shows. I don't like them. But if others do, that's just fine. I don't criticize people for watching "Honey Boo Boo" whatever floats your boat.

Another thing is that I have never felt watching TV is an either-or situation. The shows I like are incorporated in my time just like everything I do. If I am busy at the time a show is on I can catch up later watching on the Internet. Most shows I like to watch are on there. Or if it is a series, like Mad Men, I can wait until a season is over and rent it on NetFlix since I don't have cable.

Of course, this does not apply to all non TV watchers. Some are just fine not having one and don't make a big deal about it. Live and let live. I have known some people like that. They don't look down their noses at people who like TV, they just don't care for it themselves. There was a period of time when I didn't have one because I couldn't afford a TV. I found other things to do but I was glad when I could buy one again.

So I have been with and without. I just like it better with.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
I have three TV's for me and my pet children to watch. I don't watch the one in my room anymore, but I used to need it to fall asleep. I now have a ceiling fan, so it's just the noise I needed. The on in the LR runs from the time I wake up until I go to bed, but for most of the time, it's for background noise, except in primetime and then I have my favorite shows I watch every night without fail. The third one is in my spare room and it's for guests, of which I have yet to have any. I don't have a stereo or or CD system or sound system of any kind, so I can't play music for background noise during the day, therefore, it's the TV.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:59 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Um, I can't get past posting about asking about people who do not watch tv, on a tv message board. And then getting responses who actually don't watch tv on said message board … if you don't watch/have tv, why come on a tv message board? Hmmmmm … makes me think that they are skirting watching tv by reading about tv.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:27 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
There's definitely a crowd of pretentious people who say it with their nose in the air.

"Breaking Bad? I don't even know what that is, I don't own a televison..hmmph"

Lame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV