Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,173,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I've read the entire GQ interview, and it is somewhat of a hack job, so please read it.
I think Phil's comments about blacks had more to do with our society turning them into welfare victims, and sharing his memories of how happy and god loving they were when he was a child. His comments about LGBT's were strictly based of biblical beliefs that he cares for so deeply.

Fox news has a way of taking things out of context to gain influence for their agenda, and I see the left using this same tactic over this issue. While I may not hold the same values as Phil, I admire him for his love of family, and convictions to his beliefs.
Are you saying that Fox news would slant something and blow it up out of proportion to suit their views??

Old 12-21-2013, 10:17 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,672,233 times
From a random FB posting:

Quote:
Two men, both from West Monroe, LA.

Phil Robertson says, "I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field .... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word! ... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

But, NBA-legend Bill Russell, remembers it quite differently...
"West Monroe was strictly segregated, and the Russells often struggled with racism. Once, Russell's father was refused service at a gasoline station until the staff had taken care of all the white customers. When his father attempted to leave and find a different station, the attendant stuck a shotgun in his face, threatening to kill him unless he stayed and waited his turn. At another time, Russell's mother was walking outside in a fancy dress when a policeman accosted her. He told her to go home and remove the dress, which he described as 'white woman's clothing'."
Phil is a pig.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:28 AM

9,806 posts, read 11,502,455 times
I wonder how the people of Monroe LA feel about Phil and his family?
Truth be told people from southern Louisiana view people from northern Louisiana as inbreeds and Crazies

Old 12-21-2013, 12:21 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,327,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I've read the entire GQ interview, and it is somewhat of a hack job, so please read it.
I think Phil's comments about blacks had more to do with our society turning them into welfare victims, and sharing his memories of how happy and god loving they were when he was a child. His comments about LGBT's were strictly based of biblical beliefs that he cares for so deeply.

Fox news has a way of taking things out of context to gain influence for their agenda, and I see the left using this same tactic over this issue. While I may not hold the same values as Phil, I admire him for his love of family, and convictions to his beliefs.
absolutely I agree, people seem to want to see the bad instead of the truth.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:15 PM

8,753 posts, read 9,445,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
absolutely I agree, people seem to want to see the bad instead of the truth.
No, I would love to see the good, as I stated, I really enjoyed the family unity and how the boys interacted with one another, the family antics and love for each other kept me coming back. I want nothing more then that there to be nothing to what so far can't be covered up no matter how one wants to dress it up. I looked and looked for something to tell me different. I love all people regardless of their skin color, or orientation, so, I can't in my heart just shoo this one over, most of the people that will do that, not always, but, often times, are the people that generally don't care about human rights one way or the other unless it affects them in some direct way.

My great grandfathers were remarkable men, one nearly would have been hanged due to some of the ways the south was run just because he defended his wife, he left the south, became a lawyer way before the Jim Crow laws were abolished, the other a proud man has a statued dedicated for by a county in NC and a family legacy that in no way resembles any of what Phil seems to be saying blacks subscribe to. there are the people and images portrayed in the media and then there are the people I mostly grew up around that don't resemble most of what I hear discussed so often. When those kinds of statements go unchallenged, it perpetuates people's beliefs and excuses for harmful behaviors they may choose to act out upon those they consider to be less than human. It doesn't become an issue till it does and then everyone starts taking notice.

Mostly this just saddens me more than anything.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,163,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Truly shocking news. At least there is still one real reality show, Operation Repo. </sarcasm>
Wrestling is real. So is MSNBC.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:52 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,173,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Wrestling is real. So is MSNBC.
Well I am sure you are at least 1/2 right there. But I am not too sure about MSNBC.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,327,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Mostly this just saddens me more than anything.
It's nothing to worry or be sad about, he stated his opinion and belief, it didn't change anything in this world. the entertainment news is having a field day upsetting people over nothing. people are dying in unjust wars, who cares what a TV character says.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:30 PM

8,753 posts, read 9,445,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's nothing to worry or be sad about, he stated his opinion and belief, it didn't change anything in this world. the entertainment news is having a field day upsetting people over nothing. people are dying in unjust wars, who cares what a TV character says.
You do understand, it is those little words and beliefs that wars evolve from I hope. It all starts from someones words. One mans opinion can have a tremedous affect an entire generation. You better redneckconize. j/k, couldn't help myself.

And evedently a whole heck of a lot of people care what some tv character has to say and too many of them have guns. . Hope they don't be a drinkin and reminicing about the good ole days.

Don't you worry, I won't be worrying, but I am still sad I won't be able to enjoy the show anymore as it did make me smile more often than not.

Oh and I'm just stating my opinion.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,217,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrubin View Post
Oh my, is this what they teach in Ivy League Constitutional Law these days? The First Amendment prevents the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT from restricting free speech. Contractual relationships between private parties have nothing to do with the First Amendment.
Contractually speaking nothing has changed since Annette was required to wear a one piece instead of a bikinii in the beach party movies. She was under contract with Disney and it was deemed inappropriate for her to go two piece with the Disney image. Celebraties (won't call the duck people 'stars') accept a code of conduct when they sign a contact and if he had just kept his mouth shut it would be fine. AnE can fire him if they want. Just as Annette knew if she went past the Disney image she'd lose Disney.

Personally I hope a lot of those who watch thinking of the family as sort of warm and fuzzy and folksy will see past the image. There is NO excuse for the remarks today, most especially the racial ones. I'm sure things weren't rosy for Phil and his family either since the white poor weren't looked upon with much of a good light either, but he should be intelligent enough to see that their fellow workers would always be on their guard. And as far as his private religious views, maybe they should stay that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV