Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

This just popped up on my Facebook feed: Why Duck Dynasty Is A Fraud - Likes

Quote:
Are they a real family? Sure. Do they run a Duck calling business? Absolutely. Are they a little rough around the edges? Well, that depends on what time frame you're working with. The pre-Duck Dynasty clan was much more yuppie American wholesome, much less haute trailer chic. But if the cameras are rolling, and so is the money, wouldn't you dress up your family in ridiculous costumes?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:41 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This just popped up on my Facebook feed: Why Duck Dynasty Is A Fraud - Likes
Funny--Phil always refers to the grandkids and younger people as "yuppies" lol

Old 12-19-2013, 11:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
It's on TV, of course it's fake.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
One of the conditions of Duck Dynasty was that Phil Robertson was allowed to openly display his Christian faith. For example, at the end of each episode the entire family gathers around the dinner table for a word of grace. The media knows his stance, and GQ knowingly put him in an awkward position. First it was Paula Deen's insensitive racial remarks (from two decades ago) that got her off the air from the Food Network, and now the future of Duck Dynasty is in jeopardy because Phil Robertson stuck to his guns, said he disagreed with the GLBT lifestyle (he never said anything about having problems with them as PEOPLE), and quoted Scripture to back his argument, when he could have just as easily lied to the interviewer and said he fully supported the GLBT lifestyle. Either way, his reputation would take a hit, but at least he took the honest route.

The media is liberal, so having one less conservative Christian off the air means less competition for them. The sad thing is, Phil doesn't even really care about the show. All he needed was one good reason to walk away, and GQ interview and subsequent suspension by A&E is just that. Yes, it'll be a disappointment for millions of viewers, but I think DD is done.

At the end of the day, it's little more than a cultural conflict between the South and the rest of the country. These Southern stars are being vilified because of their faith and the era they grew up in. They're not bad people. They're humans too, and just like everyone else, are far from perfect.
Aren't there are a bunch of religious channels? Why don't they just air the show for the audience looking for religion? Frankly, I have never watched it because these people are in the duck-killing business (god's creatures and all). But they have bigger problems--Sarah Palin is defending them. That's a real buzz kill for any show.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:52 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I think he's referring only from a sin perspective, and again, only in his opinion.
This is my point. The original post that I was commenting on was saying that this was a view of the Christian faith, it is not. It his view and he's welcome to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
He sees all of that as a sin. A sin is a sin--I don't think they have a ranking LOL
Which is why I find it so frustrating when some people who do actually believe that homosexuality is a sin, seem to think that sin is some how worse than all of the others. But that is off the point of the thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:37 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
The Duck Commander would make an interesting 10 minute feature on "How They Make That".

But, I have no idea why anyone would be interested in watching the owners of the company act like hillbillies and Jesus Freaks.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:55 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
So what is going to happen to all the "Duck Dynasty" merchandise - say, at Wal-Mart? My God, there is a LOT of it. I even saw stickers in the gum machine. Are they going to haul it all up and put it on clearance to get rid of it, like they did to Paula Deen's products when she fell from PC'ness favor?

Is "Duck Dynasty" going to be the next Paula Deen?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:56 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,318,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
So what is going to happen to all the "Duck Dynasty" merchandise - say, at Wal-Mart? My God, there is a LOT of it. Are they going to haul it all up and put it on clearance to get rid of it, like they did to Paula Deen's products?

Is "Duck Dynasty" going to be the next Paula Deen?
No, this is just a clickbait story. Gays are even saying it's stupid. Because it is.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:18 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,093,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
A&E needs the Duck Dynasty show much worse than the stars of the show need A&E. I predict that all the stars will decide to walk away from the show. I'm hoping that something in their contract prevents A&E from running the shows that have already been done, but I doubt there is. Lastly, I'm hoping that A&E is sued for mega millions based on A&E preventing freedom of speech...when the FOS wasn't even made on, or about, A&E.
Here is the idiotic line that has been repeated about this incident over and over, including by people who should know better like Sarah Palin (who wanted to be Vice President) and Ted Cruz (a CONSTITUTIONAL lawyer, Senator, and wants to be President). The Constitution and freedom of speech have absolutely NOTHING to do with the relationship between an employer and employee. Thanks to anti-labor policies instituted by guess who, the Republican Party over decades, you can basically be fired for any reason at any time. The First Amendment means that you can't be thrown in jail because of what you say, but it doesn't mean you are free from any consequences whatsoever in your personal or professional life. He had every right to say what he said, just as A&E has every right to respond how they see fit. I bet the same exact people weren't defending Martin Bashir and Alec Baldwin.

Last edited by Grsz11; 12-19-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Yea!
How can you be suspended from a reality T.V show
I think one of the producers is gay. Not looking good for dear old Dad
That's it.It is a reality show. Those are comments from a redneck which should have been no surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV