Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 AM

358 posts, read 886,537 times

Advertisements

Did anyone watch this abomination all the way through to the end? What were they thinking? "Lets get some performers who can neither act nor sing on key and perform one of the best classic musicals of all time live without rehearsing adequately. Oh, and we should hire a terrible director who knows nothing about making a show visually interesting so we ensure we create the appearance of a bad high school performance." The costumes were clearly made in a fifth grade home economic class using leftovers from a sofa factory.

They should be jailed.

At least the sets were spectacular and the Nuns were mostly decent singers and performers. Some of the children were not awful either, but no where near as good as the classic movie, nor even as good as most decent armature performances.

It amazes me the network did not just kill the power switch half way through rather than continuing with that disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 08:47 AM

863 posts, read 1,196,301 times
Horrible. Though it's not fair to compare the screen version to the stage version, I thought the casting was horrible. The guy playing Max was way too young, the Captain looked like the only thing he could have commanded was an office chair and casting a black woman........in Austria.......as a Mother Abbess........in the 1930's, was blatant tokenism. They might as well cast her as Maria....at least she could act.

I my brain cried to turn it off but I couldn't........it was like watching a train wreck. Horrific but you can't look away.

The whole time watching, I kept expecting Carrie Underwood to exclaim (in a valley girl accent) "Like Oh-my-God Captain, you are like sooooo totally unfair!"

If Underwood wants to act maybe she should have gotten a few Hallmark Xmas movies or some bad Syfy movies under her belt before attempting a classic role like Maria...........Breathe Carrie, Breathe...........On second thought - don't.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:44 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
The score is iconic. Some things just need to be left alone. There is just no way to top the original movie and the Broadway Show.

But, they tried. Why? I guess we found that out with all of the Wal-Mart commercials. The things was like a Wal-Mart infomercial. sadly, I don't think it was done for it's 'art' content.

Underwood...she CAN sing. Act? Maybe not so much.

The Captain? Weak little runt who had no presence, and less voice. How can you do THAT to that role?

The Nuns? Pretty much nailed it.

The ending? Seemed weak to me.....

Overall? Meh. I watched it. Probably not better off for it. Will take some time to get Julie Andrews back in the focus of my mind when I think Sound Of Music, rather than....the Wal- Mart-infomercial-sound-of-music-commercial.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:53 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I watched. I wasn't that impressed with the acting but I applaud them for carrying off three hours of live performance. I'm a live theater buff so I can appreciate what they did. They must have practiced for weeks. I didn't see any flaws in their performances. And the songs were great. Made me want to watch the movie again this weekend.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:02 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Default "The Sound of Music" with Carrie Underwood on NBC

What did you think of this broadcast? I like Carrie Underwood, but I am tainted by the movie with Julie Andrews and the great locations in the movie.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Default The Sound of Music on NBC

Did anyone watch it?

I was thrilled that NBC went retro and brought back this type of entertainment. What a refreshing change from what is on TV these days. I used to love when there were annual re-runs of the Broadway versions of Peter Pan with Mary Martin and Cinderella on TV.

I loved it except that Carrie Underwood scarred it. All of the other performers were excellent. The children were wonderful. I wanted Captain Von Trapp to marry Elsa because Carrie was so bad. Her acting belonged on a high school stage. She kept crying and tearing up. All of the other cast members were TV show people with strong theater and Broadway backgrounds, including the kids. Carrie just didn't have the experience to keep up. She was in over her head. I've heard her sing live, so I know she has a big range and can sing. But here, without back-up singers and with an orchestra to accompany her, instead of a band or even a solo accousitc guitar, her voice was not suited for the Richard Rogers score. She belted the low tones and had trouble switching registers, sometimes sounding screechy. Then, if she had spoken words immediately following her song, she was breathless. Carrie's country music concerts take stamina, but theater requires a different type of stamina. Her name was the draw, but sorry, she just couldn't hack it, not without a few years of training and experience. But everyone else was very good, especially the Mother Superior.

I hope that NBC would do this again. Even though there are road tours of Broadway musicals, most people don't see them. And tickets are expensive. Showing a production on TV is a great way to for more people to see live theater and it's an opportunity to introduce children to this original American part of culture. It was also nice that this was something you can watch with the whole family. I would love for them to broadcast a live version of Wicked.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
I didn't see it, but it's a little difficult to imagine Carrie Underwood playing a believable nun. Especially one raised in a nunnery in post depression Austria.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Watch it again. You will see them forget their lines and ad lib for a bit until rescued. Pretty much all of them sing off key at times, but the captain is especially bad.

I mostly fault the director. This was an extremely low energy performance. The blocking was horrid to the extent there was any. Mostly they stood in one place and sang or recited lines with little expression. I think if you saw it with the screen dimmed and the sound turned off it may have been worthwhile. There was one song she nailed. Most of the rest - she would not have gotten the part if she was auditioning at most community theaters. I would have cast the Black nun as Maria. She could sing quite well and act somewhat. The girlfriend was reasonably good as well. What is amazing is somehow they did not realize how incredibly bad it was. Surely they could have plugged in a recorded NASCAR race or something to replace it so they did not have to be embarrassed.

I understand she is very good in her normal genre (country/western). Hopefully this flop does not hurt he reputation or her self confidence.

Wonder whether they had teleprompters.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 PM

As I posted elsewhere, it was horrific. Ms. Underwood cannot act at all and did not really try. Most of the singing was beyond her talent, but there was one song she really nailed. The Captain could not have been much worse cast if they advertised for a year looking for the worst possible choice. Costumes - atrocious. Directing- worse. The token Black nun was talented. She should have been Maria. Ms. Underwood would have made a fine person in the crowd at the theater performance at the end of the story. Otherwise, she should stick with selling cat food or whatever she normally does with her time.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
You'd think with the number of actors out there with theater experience and training that the casting people/network could do better than an American Idol and That Guy from True Blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV