Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:46 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

I agree, a good start.

I was amazed at how huge that city of China is that they visited (a name I had not heard of).

I will note that in November 2008 my wife and I took a tour of China and our guide informed us that China had (at that time) 30 cities with populations of 8 million-plus.

It is a sobering thought. I well recall when President Nixon visited China, then a very poor country of 1 billion people (the vast majority living in the countryside). People were thrilled to see new photos of The Great Wall and such (for the country had been pretty well closed off from the West for decades).

Anyway, during our stop at Beijing (Peking!) I spoke to a US businessman who had first visited that city in 1980 or 1981, just when our trade with China began in earnest. He talked of how, during his first visit to Beijing, the city shut down at sundown; how there were no street lights, no restaurants, and very few hotels (we actually stayed at the first 'western' styled hotel that had opened in Beijing in 1980). He also said that the only cars were owned by Chinese officials. Few private homes at that time had electricity or plumbing.

What a different in 34 years! That city we saw last night was, no doubt, a small fishing village (if even that) in 1980.

Indeed, when we visited Shanghai the number of construction cranes one could see numbered in the hundreds. Our guide told us that in Beijing alone, 1,000 new drivers hit the city streets every single day of the year. He also noted that driving lessons were not mandatory, which did not set us totally at ease as we drove about.

I will finally note that when we visited Beijing the Olympics had concluded a few months earlier, and that the pollution had returned in full strength. Our first day was amazingly clear, due to storms and rain the night before we landed. When we returned to the city some 10 days later, and visited the Birds Nest at the Olympic site, you could barely make it out while standing 100 yards away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:17 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Would rep if I could.
I repped for you!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree, a good start.

I was amazed at how huge that city of China is that they visited (a name I had not heard of).
I believe they said they were in Guangzhou, formerly known as Canton. It's in that huge "economic zone" in the southern tip of China, near Hong Kong. I remember when I was there, it was growing enormously due to a government change allowing open foreign investment.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,146 times
The start of the race at UCLA - it's an omen. Isn't that the school Brendon attended? He even stopped to participate in the "Fight, Fight, Fight Song". Go Brendon and Rachel!!

Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Yes that 1st stop was in the city of Guangzhou (Canton), China.

Previews show Mallory left her bag somewhere, but...as said above, editing.

My top favorites at the present are the Cowboys, the Globetrotters, the Kentuckians, the Father/son team. The rest can be eliminated as we go along with Brendon and crybaby Rachel being next.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post

My top favorites at the present are the Cowboys, the Globetrotters, the Kentuckians, the Father/son team. The rest can be eliminated as we go along with Brendon and crybaby Rachel being next.

you are my mind reader

Old 02-24-2014, 12:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:

I don't have any favorites yet... I am with you on hoping the professional contestants Brendon and Rachel go next.. I like Brendon but can't stand old boo hoo.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
you are my mind reader

Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Why did this pretty girl get engaged to this knucklehead? He looks like some brat that sits in the back of class and shoot spit balls.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Why did this pretty girl get engaged to this knucklehead? He looks like some brat that sits in the back of class and shoot spit balls.
Probably love someone more than what is visual in your eyes. John is witty, intellectual, adventurous and they seem to compensate each other personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV