Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:15 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,954,746 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else watch Ghost Hunters on the Sci-Fi Channel like me? They call their company "TAPS" and the two lead guys are actually licensed plumbers from New England who go out with a team to reputedly haunted houses and buildings and try to disprove the hauntings. I usually find the reenactment type of shows boring and don't watch, but I found myself watching Ghost Hunters when they did that assignment at a lighthouse and found myself hooked. They actually filmed a "something" looking over the railing at the top of the tower down at them...I got goose bumps. Then I watched the episode where they went all the way to Tombstone, Arizona to investigate The Bird Cage Theater... when I saw the replayed film of their electric cable being lifted into the air by an invisible force...I got chill bumps! And that one investigation of that house where there was something in the room that freaked everyone out and that one guy got "stung" by an invisible something that left a huge red welt about six inches in circu****ence on his lower back...chill bumps. I became a believer! I'm not convinced that the hauntings are actually dead people though because the bible tells us there's a veil between the dead and living...but I wouldn't be surprised, especially since many of the encounters seem evil, that the entities behind them are demonic of some kind. In any event, I find the show fascinating. Do you know it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 07:17 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,617,317 times
OMG thats my 2nd favorite show, I am so going to Tombstone now!!!! I live in AZ. Love it!! love it!! I have seen every episode and I became a believer along time ago with my own experience, thats why i love the show they dont try to prove but disprove, I love the lighthouse one, freaked me out, and the other light house one from last season also where the chair moved twice when it was alone!!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
OMG thats my 2nd favorite show, I am so going to Tombstone now!!!! I live in AZ. Love it!! love it!! I have seen every episode and I became a believer along time ago with my own experience, thats why i love the show they dont try to prove but disprove, I love the lighthouse one, freaked me out, and the other light house one from last season also where the chair moved twice when it was alone!!!!
Yeah, it's different than any other show because they film what they do and what you see is what they actually did, no reenactments. And, most of the time they debunk the haunting and find practical and logical reasons for what was assumed to be a haunting...but sometimes...like the OK Corral in Tombstone at that hotel where a "Julia" has a reputation of pulling the comforter off of people's feet as they sleep and tickling their feet...and that one TAPS guy is in bed totally out asleep, his legs don't move, and you see the bedspread suddenly bunch up and get pulled off his feet but there's no other motion from him sleeping in bed, just the comforter moves...!!! I too had my own experience. Mine was in San Francisco at an old apartment I lived in. I roll up stiffer paper into balls for the cats to play with because they love to bat them around. I was sitting on the floor with my cat Alex in my lap back in 1989 watching TV with the blinds on the windows pulled because it was night. One of those paper balls came whizzing in the air from behind me, over me, and struck the window blind in front of me about 10 ft away above the TV I was watching, and then some silverware that we'd washed and had drying on the counter in the kitchen fell onto the floor. I FREAKED!! I checked out the apartment totally, I was the only one there. The front door was locked, etc. What creeped me out was that such an event seemed intentional, like it was trying to get my attention. When I told my roommate when she got home, she didn't believe me which pissed me off. And my sister had an experience when we were small kids living in the attic of an old house in Canyonville, Oregon. She woke up with her toys levitating she said. That house was creepy. We lived there in 1969-1970 when my dad was a deputy sheriff in Myrtle Creek. The old lady who'd lived there before was a Mrs. Bell who died we were told because she fell into the blackberry vines. That was a weird house!!!

Last edited by MoMark; 10-18-2006 at 08:45 PM..

Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 PM

Yea mine was in an old abandoned house in coos bay oregon, we were on vaction, I was about 14 I saw this old man sitting in a chair in the house and it was rocking, I could even see his hat!!! I turned to yell for my brother and he was gone, freaked me out cuz the chair was still rocking!!! Must have been a residual haunting. My older son wants to go to cemetaries at night and try to do evp's I told him I would go, but would watch from the car!!lol

Old 10-18-2006, 07:51 PM

There's a stone "castle" here in Springfield, Missouri called Pythian Castle. It's privately owned and actually certified (not sure who does the certification) as being haunted. They offer ghosthunting nights twice a year and you attend a two hour workshop first where everything is explained, what you're doing, the techniques, etc. That starts at 7pm I think. Then at 9pm you are let loose into the building which is huge with turrets and halls and staircases and nooks and crannies, basements, etc. The hunting takes place all through the night into the early morning. I've seen pictures of things that have been seen there and they look like what TAPS has filmed, spherical balls of light zipping around and sometimes actual figures, along with sounds, etc. My mom and I want to do it together. She's always up for an adventure. We can mix up a thermos of Grey Goose Vodka martinis, throw in a few pimento green olives, then nip throughout the night as we go around with our cameras taking pictures! She makes mean martinis and I can see us now slightly lit ghost hunting
Picture of the castle as it looked in 1920's:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/Pythian_Castle_1920s_copy.jpg (broken link)
Outside the front entrance to the castle, a light orb seen just to the top-left of the entry:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/pythiancastleorb.jpg (broken link)
Inside the castle dining room, an orb of light captured against a pillar:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r199/MoMark/pythiancastleindoororb.jpg (broken link)
What a way to spend an evening/night huh?

Last edited by MoMark; 10-18-2006 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 PM

That would be way cool!!!!
I love doing scary things, I love horror movies that scare me, like halloween still freaks me out!!! I love to watch all those supernatural based shows even the tv series like Ghost whisperer and Supernatural.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:48 AM

169 posts, read 676,567 times
I love Ghost Hunters, have watched it since day one. What I love about the show is the fact that they try to debunk everything. That way what they do find and can't explain seems that much more credible. The only thing I didn't like about last night's episode was that they didn't try to recreate the bed scene. I think they should have tried to debunk it by having him move his legs in a few different ways to see if the movement could have been seen or not. Also this season if you've noticed, they've taken to trying to make things look 'spooky' with their camera work- zooming in to certain objects in b&w while playing some creepy music etc. That irritates me because if I wanted to see a fake 'haunting' show I'd flip over to Most Haunted. I think they should stick to the basics because that's what really makes the show. We don't need the extra theatrics! At any rate it's a great show and I never miss it.

I've had several experiences after moving to Galveston. My house has some strange happenings at times and my neighbors upon moving in promptly informed me that I'd moved into "the haunted house". I guess previous owners reported poltergeist activity and seeing something try to materialize on the stairs. We've had things move about, cans fall out of a closed cabinet and roll with a bit of force across the floor. Bathroom doors have rattled like someone was trying to get in but windows were shut so we couldn't explain that one away. My daughter refuses to sleep upstairs because she said she heard whispering one night and everyone was asleep where she could see them. I could go on lol but I'll refrain. We've just grown used to it and try to make light of it since it doesn't seem to be anything negative. Sometimes that's what you get for moving into an 80 year old house.

Last edited by txgrl; 10-19-2006 at 08:13 AM..

Old 10-19-2006, 07:13 AM

338 posts, read 1,440,639 times
Question Mo-Mark- you mentioned the Bible....

I have a question..I too am very interested in this show and other forms of haunting- like some cool web sites with stories and such- but I feel like I am inviting evil spirits into my life or something when I know I shouldn't look for spirits ect...but I'm drawn to their history-why there are obvious areas that really seem haunted...do you know what I'm saying...like I don't want to believe but I do and I don't want to look for sinful issues (demonic) but I'm still interested...I know that the Bible speaks against sooth sayers and I have never been to one-my sister went to one after my mother died...I completely refused...but I wonder if the Bible says anything about being interested in spirits...

Old 10-19-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
I have a question..I too am very interested in this show and other forms of haunting- like some cool web sites with stories and such- but I feel like I am inviting evil spirits into my life or something when I know I shouldn't look for spirits ect...but I'm drawn to their history-why there are obvious areas that really seem haunted...do you know what I'm saying...like I don't want to believe but I do and I don't want to look for sinful issues (demonic) but I'm still interested...I know that the Bible speaks against sooth sayers and I have never been to one-my sister went to one after my mother died...I completely refused...but I wonder if the Bible says anything about being interested in spirits...
I wouldnt be worried most are not evil they are just trapped, some people are trying to help them move on, others like us are just trying to figure it out. I personally love the idea of spirits, it means to me that it doesnt end at death, tome it somewhat validates the bible, that we all have souls that move on ( sometimes not) after death. Mediums may exist or may not, I have never been into that, just the spirits. I believe you can only "Invite evil" when you are open to it, I am not as I am sure you are not as well, just curious.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:24 AM

338 posts, read 1,440,639 times
Yeah, sounds right--I will not invite evil in- enough in the world as there is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV