Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
He has time to write about his fantasy football picks and NFL predictions however...
I think the problem may be that Mr. Martin enjoys "being a writer" more than he enjoys writing. He admits he can't write while he's on the road, but if you check his schedule, he's traveling to cons and interviews all over the world dozens of times a year. He's really enjoying the celebrity status. It's no small wonder he takes 5 years to finish a book.

I'm concerned he's just plain tired of the story though. He's been writing this series for almost 20 years now. I sometimes wonder if he falls out of bed in the morning, thinking: No, please don't make me go write Westeros today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
After the skewering South Park gave " Game Of Thrones" and George R. R. Martin, how can anybody not laugh at it?

Old 12-10-2013, 01:35 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Everything I have seen said that Martin has at least given Benioff and the writers his outline of the rest of the series just in case something were to happen to him. I imagine they could use that to continue the series even if he were alive and not able to finish in time.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:03 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Everything I have seen said that Martin has at least given Benioff and the writers his outline of the rest of the series just in case something were to happen to him. I imagine they could use that to continue the series even if he were alive and not able to finish in time.
I hope so--but he also seems adamant that he doesn't want anyone to take over the writing of the series, or do spin-offs:

George R.R. Martin promises Westeros won't end with 'Game of Thrones' - Zap2it

Quote:
Don't expect Martin to let someone else write in his world either. He's been very vocal about the tales of Westeros ending with him, and says he respects J.R.R. Tokien's son Christopher Tolkien preserving the world of Middle-Earth in the same way. "
"History has shown us is that eventually these literary rights pass to grandchildren or collateral descendants or people who didn't actually know the writer or his wishes and it's just a cash cow to them and then we get abominations to my mind like 'Scarlett,'" he says. "I hope I never see 'Sauron Strikes Back' written by some third-rate writer who leaps in at the opportunity."
He wants to do prequels--I just wish he'd finish off vol.7 before he allows himself to get distracted by more novellas...

By the way, did you know there's a real Westeros? I may have mentioned that way back on the Season 3 thread. There is a town in Sweden called Västerås, pronounced Vesteros. Wonder if Martin has been there...

Old 01-10-2014, 01:19 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
The Game of Thrones premier is now set for Sunday, April 6, 2014.

BREAKING: Game of Thrones Season 4 premieres April 6 at 9PM
Game of Thrones Season 4 Premiere Date Revealed; Boardwalk Empire to End After Season 5 | E! Online

Also, the trailer for Season 4 debuts this coming Sunday night at 8:58pm EST on HBO, which means it should make YouTube by 9:05PM EST.

Good move by HBO having the premiere 1 week after the walking dead finale.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:26 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Can't wait for season 4 of Game of Thrones! I'm currently reading the third book "A Feast of Crows" so need to watch seasons 1 -3 so I can remember where the show left off. It's confusing to read ahead of the series, but I couldn't put the books down once I started.

So disappointed that they are ending Boardwalk Empire, though. They've even cut the episodes from the usual 10 to only 8.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Can't wait for season 4 of Game of Thrones! I'm currently reading the third book "A Feast of Crows" so need to watch seasons 1 -3 so I can remember where the show left off. It's confusing to read ahead of the series, but I couldn't put the books down once I started.

So disappointed that they are ending Boardwalk Empire, though. They've even cut the episodes from the usual 10 to only 8.
A Feast for Crows is the 4th book? Good book overall, but is the weakest of the series, IMHO.

A Game of Thrones is the first
A Clash of Kings is book two
A Storm of Swords is book three
A Feast for Crows is book four
A Dance with Dragons is book five
The Winds of Winter is book six (to be released)
A Dream of Spring is book seven (to be released - hopefully the last book)

Old 01-10-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think the problem may be that Mr. Martin enjoys "being a writer" more than he enjoys writing. He admits he can't write while he's on the road, but if you check his schedule, he's traveling to cons and interviews all over the world dozens of times a year. He's really enjoying the celebrity status. It's no small wonder he takes 5 years to finish a book.

I'm concerned he's just plain tired of the story though. He's been writing this series for almost 20 years now. I sometimes wonder if he falls out of bed in the morning, thinking: No, please don't make me go write Westeros today!
well, he finished the first three books in five years - 1996, 1998 and 2000. He supposedly had a five year gap planned between books 3 and 4, but when he started writing book four, he realized it wouldn't work, so started book 4 over again. Then, he had to retool book five when he broke it up into regions, but made it longer.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:28 PM

This "vine" released by HBO today looks awesome! Potential spoilers for non-book readers.

[vine]h3j0E330FvQ[/vine]https://vine.co/v/h3j0E330FvQ[/url]

Old 01-10-2014, 06:32 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Oh, I know what that trailer's about. The Red Viper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV