Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 09:31 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,263,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I read the books long before I watched Season 1. The books are long and I'm not a fast reader. But the series on HBO seems to drag on and on.
I think the books are the same way. Book 1 was very tightly and expertly paced. Book 2 was good, though some fluff began to creep in. Book 3 was my favorite of the series, though again, quite a few unnecessary characters got looooong chapters all to themselves. Book 4 began the turgidity. I haven't read Book 5.

Quite honestly, I think Martin is tired of the whole thing. He's obviously enjoying the celebrity, but if the quality of the books is any indication, he hasn't been excited about the story in years.

I fully expect the TV show to pass him by. The TV show will be long over before Martin publishes the last book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Loved the premiere last night!

You know, Arya is shaping up to be a ruthless little girl. I haven't read the book but I cheated and read all the synopsis (and spoilers) on Wiki so I kinda know what's going to happen to the Hound. I feel bad now because he treated Arya pretty decently. Especially considering what could have happened to Arya in the gruesome GOT world.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:49 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think the series is going slow because the writer of the books only puts one out every five years or so. This episode developed characters (like Arya), showed us where Jaime now stands in the scheme of things (he should've taken his father's offer) and introduced the prince who intends to take his revenge.
The series, I think, is moving faster than the books. The books have exponentially more characters in them, and each Point of View character often thinks, dreams or flashes back a lot in their chapter. If you go back to the first book, every single Ned chapter has a flashback to "Promise me, Ned," and then an extended flashback to the Tower of Joy when he's in the Black Cells. Zero of that was covered in the show.

Another example - there is only Loras Tyrell on the show. However, in the books there is Lora Tyrell, as well as Garlan Tyrell and Willas Tyrell for brothers. Sansa was not going to be wed to Ser Loras in the books before the Lannisters married her to Tyrion, it was the handicapped Willas Tyrell, the eldest brother and heir to Highgarden.

Also, Martin wrote the first 3 books over five years. 1996, 1998 and 2000 were the release dates for the first three books. Unfortunately, he's had trouble with the last two books, and they took 11 years combined to release.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
"The Hound" & "Arya" are getting to be the quite skilled, proficient "Extermination Team" ......heehee............en garde.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think the series is going slow because the writer of the books only puts one out every five years or so. This episode developed characters (like Arya), showed us where Jaime now stands in the scheme of things (he should've taken his father's offer) and introduced the prince who intends to take his revenge.
Why? Jaime has no interest in being a lord and never wanted to be lord of Casterly Rock. Tywin only wanted it because it's expected of the elder son (and he wants heirs that preferably aren't coming from Tyrion). A big reason Jaime didn't want to be lord is because of Cersei - he didn't want to marry anyone who wasn't her and he would've had to marry if he was lord of Casterly Rock. Plus, Cersei would stay in Kings Landing while he was at Casterly Rock and he does not want to be away from her.

Now Tyrion actually wants to be lord and he would be a great one, but Tywin would never allow that to happen because he hates him. Sigh.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:05 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,830 times
This is a really good recap of last night's show:

'Game of Thrones' season 4 premiere recap: Two Swords | Season 4 Episode 01 | EW.com

Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Loved the premiere last night!

You know, Arya is shaping up to be a ruthless little girl. I haven't read the book but I cheated and read all the synopsis (and spoilers) on Wiki so I kinda know what's going to happen to the Hound. I feel bad now because he treated Arya pretty decently. Especially considering what could have happened to Arya in the gruesome GOT world.
I don't think we can count on anything happening to anybody exactly like it happens in the books! A good way to keep GoT readers at the edge of their seats while watching the show even if they/we think we know the story.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Why? Jaime has no interest in being a lord and never wanted to be lord of Casterly Rock. Tywin only wanted it because it's expected of the elder son (and he wants heirs that preferably aren't coming from Tyrion). A big reason Jaime didn't want to be lord is because of Cersei - he didn't want to marry anyone who wasn't her and he would've had to marry if he was lord of Casterly Rock. Plus, Cersei would stay in Kings Landing while he was at Casterly Rock and he does not want to be away from her.

Now Tyrion actually wants to be lord and he would be a great one, but Tywin would never allow that to happen because he hates him. Sigh.
I said that because Cersei no longer wants anything to do with him, which of course he couldn't have foreseen, but now may make him wish he had taken his father's offer (command) after all. I suppose if he were the type who would be willing to abstain forever just knowing he was in the presence of his love, etc, that would be enough, but given his overall personality, I don't see much for him left at King's Landing. However, I do think he will stay not for Cersei, but out of obligation for Sansa. I think he and his brother will develop a camaraderie this season, as fellow handicaps with a mutual interest, and may hatch a plan for her release at some point (all speculation, not having read the books).

Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
After watching some of the shows from previous seasons again during the marathon leading up to S4's premiere, I have decided to DVR each episode and watch it again a couple days later. I seem to have gotten much more out of the previous seasons watching them again.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
wow, I didn't think it started until this Sunday, I'll have to look for it OnDemand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV