Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times

Advertisements

Help me out here Survivor fans wasn't there a problem a few years ago with starvation so they started giving them more food rewards? I also think Dimples said the Philippines has the most ideal weather than other parts of the world. Still I'd like to see a little more natives & culture brought into the seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 08:33 PM

810 posts, read 1,025,293 times
The first thing that came to my mind was Erik last season who complained about starvation late in the season... and I came across of this reddit AMA (ask me anything) that he did. Lots of great information in there!

Erik Reichenbach of Survivor Fans vs. Favorites AMA! Former 2 time contestant, comic artist, Redditor, and former Hell Michigan Ice Cream Scooper. : survivor

This was apparently the reason:

Quote:
Yeah! This is great because so much good stuff gets left out.
One day we made wayyyy too much rice (this was a day or two after the merge). Malcolm, Andrea, Eddie, and myself made enough rice for like three tribes combined. That being said, once it got cooking we couldn't waste it so we all started chowing down, but trying to be as inconspicuous as possible because we were worried Corrine or Phillip would see us gorging and get mad.
Also, the rice was scalding hot, and we would just grab it out of the pot and try to eat it but it burned us. Imagine us four crowded around the pot shushing each other as we eat rice and cry out when someone drops it on our bare legs, feet, arms, etc. I can't believe they never showed this insane moment.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongyang View Post
The first thing that came to my mind was Erik last season who complained about starvation late in the season... and I came across of this reddit AMA (ask me anything) that he did. Lots of great information in there!

Erik Reichenbach of Survivor Fans vs. Favorites AMA! Former 2 time contestant, comic artist, Redditor, and former Hell Michigan Ice Cream Scooper. : survivor

This was apparently the reason:
I think the starvation problem was before Erik played perhaps. This season Cierra only lost 1 pound she told the medical staff "we had a lot of food out there".

That was a cool link found this statement about Dimples interesting so is he trying to manipulate for more drama?
Quote:
This season he literally said fewer then two words to me and gave me **** prior to the season for not "being erik-like". He has changed a lot. It has been 4 years in between though, and I am sure I have changed too.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:23 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Have worked on the camera crew on many seasons of Survivor. AMAA : IAmA

This Reddit thread is good, too. Lots of inside info on the ins and outs of every day and filming from a long time camera man...

Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
After reading the interview I have several thoughts

1) Probst, who rarely if ever seems to listen to fan input, says they are bringing back all new players because of fan input; despite those seasons rating the worst. I think its because if they don't occassionally have lots of new players - they won't have any returning players to use. Everyso often they have to recharge the deck for returnees. Just sayin.

2) Pretty people can, and usually are, just as smart and sometimes more so as everyone else and can also be athletic. Popular (pretty is most often popular) plus even average smarts usually trump really smart in social arenas.

3) I hope these aren't recruited reality show wanna be mactors, they are so annoying. If they are applicants it might not be so bad. Sometimes you can tell by the location they give although they will try to fool you by using their original state even if they've been living in California for a few years. I think the newbie seasons might have higher ratings if they were more selective in their casting.

4) I don't really like their rather simple idea loading the dice of the social experiment. I'd rather see a wide range of real people that you can identify with and then be surprised by the different outcomes. According to Jeff's interview the stereotypes all seem to be doing exactly what you'd think, acting like their stereotypes - and Probst? What exactly is so fascinating about that?

Old 12-22-2013, 04:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
After reading the interview I have several thoughts

1) Probst, who rarely if ever seems to listen to fan input, says they are bringing back all new players because of fan input; despite those seasons rating the worst. I think its because if they don't occassionally have lots of new players - they won't have any returning players to use. Everyso often they have to recharge the deck for returnees. Just sayin.

2) Pretty people can, and usually are, just as smart and sometimes more so as everyone else and can also be athletic. Popular (pretty is most often popular) plus even average smarts usually trump really smart in social arenas.

3) I hope these aren't recruited reality show wanna be mactors, they are so annoying. If they are applicants it might not be so bad. Sometimes you can tell by the location they give although they will try to fool you by using their original state even if they've been living in California for a few years. I think the newbie seasons might have higher ratings if they were more selective in their casting.

4) I don't really like their rather simple idea loading the dice of the social experiment. I'd rather see a wide range of real people that you can identify with and then be surprised by the different outcomes. According to Jeff's interview the stereotypes all seem to be doing exactly what you'd think, acting like their stereotypes - and Probst? What exactly is so fascinating about that?
I second all this and number four especially.

At one time, I remember Probst showed people's application video tapes and they were fun to watch. They were obviously homemade. Now I wonder if some of the contestants aren't just professional actors or models who are trying to get some face time who send in professionally done videos.

If they chose people from all over from all walks of life of all ages for "Survivor" we would get a group of different types of people who would behave unpredictably. That is way more interesting than the "types" they choose who act true to form.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 PM

While farting around on YouTube I found these 3 videos interesting they tell a lot about what happens to the players when they get voted out. If it is before jury they get nice lodging and $100 day to spend however they want. If you were the first person voted off that would be nice staying in a hotel, Burnett paying for you to go see local entertainment then profit $3,900.00 on a vacation.

Survivor Q&A with Yau-Man, Sonja, Sylvia & Chad - Part 1 of 3 (HD) - YouTube

Survivor Q&A with Yau-Man, Sonja, Sylvia & Chad - Part 2 of 3 (HD) - YouTube

Survivor Q&A with Yau-Man, Sonja, Sylvia & Chad - Part 3 of 3 - YouTube

The visual is poor but the sound is good.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:40 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Thanks for those, Jax. I found them very interesting.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:07 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Wow, amazing! So the moral of the story is: If you know you won't last until the jury, make sure you get voted off eary so you get a longer paid vacation in Australia than the others. Basically, you get the whole condo in Sydney to yourself for three days if you're voted off first? Then three days later someone else shows up, and so on until the 1st jury member goes to Ponderosa? I'll take Sydney for $100, Alex.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:03 AM

^^That about sums it up shoot I'd dig a get away like that for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV