Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:05 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times

Advertisements

Nah on the remakes, but I'd love to see reunion shows. I posted this on the Mama's Family thread, I'd love for them to bring back the original actors and show us what they're up too today. Every time we lose a great actor, I say to myself that I wish they'd have made a reunion before they passed.

They did one or two with Knots Landing, and I loved them. Imagine if they'd done one with I Love Lucy. The Golden Girls after "Sofia" passed would have been a good one.

The big wigs in tv don't get that we get attached to characters, and when a good series ends we miss them. I for one, would love to see Peg Bundy as a grandma, or the Malcolm In The Middle bunch married with kids. I don't want to see new actors play the parts, IF one wont return, don't replace them. Say they died or they're traveling. Roseanne would be another I'd enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 04:06 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
The remake of Knight Rider failed dismally. Hawaii Five-O seems to be successful, but I didn't like it and don't watch it. I thought the hybrid of the new version of Dallas was done extremely well, but it's for a niche audience. Can you imagine if they tried to make a remake of Mr. Ed?

Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Remake Green Acres? Why?

I think Duck Dynasty is already pretty close.

The shows of decades ago died because they got old and languished.

I recently saw an old Mary Tyler Moore show, and I couldn't believe how the cast shouted their lines. They projected as if they were in a big theater. It was almost unwatchable.

But if they wanted to remake something, how about All in the Family?

And they are remaking Murder She Wrote starring Octavia Spencer. I would so watch a show with Olivia Spencer, who has the most expressive face of almost anyone I've ever seen.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:12 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Okay why don't they remake these timeless classic sitcoms instead of churning out boring comedies and endless reincarnations or murder and police shows.
Bat Man. The old Adam West show was just fun. Every week brought a new actor playing a villain and the cameos were fascinating. But who could play Bruce Wayne/Batman? Bat Man can be fun, its gotten so dark and melodramatic that the franchise is rapidly getting STALE.
Green Acres. This was a surreal comedy and hillbilly/cornpone antics seem to be in right now.
Maybe Tim Daly could be Oliver Douglas, Lisa Douglas would be a little harder to cast.
So whats everybodys take on it? Any other classic shows worth revisiting and updating?
Remakes are always putrid, just think back on some of the old comedies that have been redone. Green Acres would be awful and I doubt it would do well in the ratings. Next you'll be suggesting they remake Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy. They may be desperate for ideas but I hope they leave the old shows alone.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:28 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
FWIW, I am toying with screenplay scripts for a Green Acres show that I am writing for my own enjoyment, and when I thin they are polished enough, I will go through whatever legal steps to protect my work. I have held white collar professional jobs all my life but when the recession hit, I stumbled on a wonderful job helping a farmer raise poultry, and sadly the money was pretty decent compared to office work. But being a Green Acres fan, and working here for 6 years and with the colorful folk of my local town, I am inspired to write more of a Green Acres 2014 update version. I will share this, in my version Eb is a fake name for a wall street Ponzi scheme artist "a young Gordon Gekko" type living on the lam that came with the farm when MRS Douglas bought the place. Mr. Haney points out a loft above the back of the barn where Eb lives, as they go around the back to the entry steps to the loft, Ebs's cars a Lotus and an Escalade are parked at the bottom. And nobody in town ever has questioned this.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Okay why don't they remake these timeless classic sitcoms instead of churning out boring comedies and endless reincarnations or murder and police shows.
Bat Man. The old Adam West show was just fun. Every week brought a new actor playing a villain and the cameos were fascinating. But who could play Bruce Wayne/Batman? Bat Man can be fun, its gotten so dark and melodramatic that the franchise is rapidly getting STALE.
Green Acres. This was a surreal comedy and hillbilly/cornpone antics seem to be in right now.
Maybe Tim Daly could be Oliver Douglas, Lisa Douglas would be a little harder to cast.
So whats everybodys take on it? Any other classic shows worth revisiting and updating?
I am just shocked that you would call Green Acres a classic.

If they remade it, I would not watch it. I didn't watch it when it was popular, and I wouldn't waste my time with it now.

I wouldn't mind seeing an updated version of The Defenders though.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,724 times
A more realistic Gilligan's Island might be interesting. It would be great if they took a clue from all the survival shows on TV.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:41 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Most shows arent worth remaking. That is not to say they werent good - they were classics - but there is no need. "Green Acres" for example is the classic "fish out of water" theme that is prevalent all over tv today. Why make another "Green Acres" that will beheld up to scrutiny because "the original was better" when you can make your own "fish out of water" show that stands on its own merits

Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Well, let's see how it's gone so far. How many remakes (movie or otherwise) of TV shows have actually been better than the originals?

I was certainly pleasantly surprised by "Battlestar Galactica," which was more properly a "re-imagination" than simply a remake.

Bringing Batman to the movies was actually going back to the dark roots of the original comics (which had already been done by graphic novels), so that was an improvement over the television series.

But what others?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Why do remakes? We have so many "OLDIES " channels on cable tv? With a little searching I can see the ed.originals unchanged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV