Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:31 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
One of my most favorite shows of all time. OP, I found that movie about four years ago, would love to own it. It makes me mad that only the 1st season was released. I know they had "ownership" problems, but come on.

I prefer the seasons with Bubba. I think Mama and Iola, were very Lucy & Ethel-ish. Wish they had played up on their chemistry more. Like when they broke into the locksmith store, screwball comedy fun like on I Love Lucy. I wish they'd have a reunion before more of the cast members pass.
I'm sure this isn't exactly what you meant, but just in case you've never seen it:

MAMA'S FAMILY REUNION ON "VICKI" - YouTube

Also, I hope this doesn't break any rules of the board, I'm not an employee of Time Life but they are selling the entire series on DVD, includes 130 episodes PLUS the Eunice movie

Mama's Family - The Complete Series - Time Life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,489 times
I found the Iola and Bubba seasons more enjoyable than the Sonja and Buzz seasons. I found a lot more laughs in those seasons.

However, I love all the episodes and I'm so glad they finally came out with the whole series on DVD.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:39 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
Well color me behind the times. But its Time Life? Does that mean higher prices? I have every episode, even the "lost" Aunt Gertie Rides Again on tapes. I hope I have the name right, Gertie, but without using google, does anyone know the reason that wasn't aired but a couple of times? I'll be back to see who wins, but no cheating!

Oh OP, not that kind of reunion. I mean do a real episode on where they are today. "Little Thelma" grown up. It made me mad we didn't get to see them raise a baby, they lost out on a lot of laughs.

Went and checked out TL, they're $199.00. They do have Gert Rides Again, so that's great. Was surprised they said that two original episodes were lost, but they have the syndicated. I better check my tapes, I might be holding on to a goldmine. lol

Last edited by breeinmo.; 12-23-2013 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: add

Old 12-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Mama's Family was one of the most underrated comedy/sitcoms of our time!
The dialog between Eunice and Mama felt real at times.
You are so right. Some think it was silly and fluff, but they did hit on sensitive subjects. Remember women's rights? I always felt Eunice had the middle child syndrome, which I believe in as I have it.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:56 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
You are so right. Some think it was silly and fluff, but they did hit on sensitive subjects. Remember women's rights? I always felt Eunice had the middle child syndrome, which I believe in as I have it.
Exactly!
The middle Child syndrome is real and does exist.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:06 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
Jan Brady, is that you?

Thanks to the ever-changing canon, we never knew just what place Eunice held in the birth order. The CB Show skits played fast and loose with just how many siblings and other relatives there were for the sake of guest stars and such, and of course they added and subtracted various Harpers once they went to a separate series.

Was Gert the one played by Imogene Coca? I always liked when we got to see loopy Aunt Effie (played by one of the show's writers, Dorothy Van), who was in the same mold as Cousin Gert.

One of my favorite aspects of this show was how they used every bizarre old-fashioned name they could come up with, like Thelma, Eulallie, Alberta, Gert, and Iola (among others) for comic effect.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:35 AM

Oh I'm way worse than Jan Brady. Actually, my older sister and both parents have passed, so that war is over. All I heard my whole life was "she gets it/to do that, because she's the oldest/youngest". Never heard because you're in the middle. uggg

Ok, I'm going by memory: Gert Rides Again had legal troubles because of the actress who played Gert's nurse. It was something like she didn't sign the contract for the show to be aired again. I cant recall if it had to do with her wanting more money or not.

Oh I forgot about aunt Effie, loved her and Imogene. Daniel, I cant think of any other siblings. Do you? Oh wait, wasn't there another brother on Carol's show? Why does Steven come to mind. Guess I could google, but I like picking others memories. As soon as the Holidays are over, I'm going to enjoy a Mama's Family marathon. I went and checked ebay, peeps are breaking down the Time Life sets if anyone's interested. I'd love to have the extras dvd, but $30ish!?!

Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Exactly!
The middle Child syndrome is real and does exist.

Especially when you have two sisters, one 7 years older and the other 7 years younger. I always wondered how a 4 sibling home worked out. Does that remove the middle child syndrome, or do both feel invisible? Nice thread topic if anyone wants to make one.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:46 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
Quote:
Daniel, I cant think of any other siblings. Do you?
Vint was a creation of the MF series, I'm fairly sure. Not sure about Ellen (Betty White); I know she was in the NBC version of MF and maybe one or two episodes of the syndicated version, but White may have created that role on the CB Show. It's been so many years since I've watched any amount of the CB Show reruns. I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:12 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
i remember some kind of skit they did about the topic of Mickey Hart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV