Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 10:19 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,248,316 times

Advertisements

or a better question is why am I watching Sex And The City?

I'm watching a scene where Carrie has an affair with a married man and the wife comes home and sees her. Carrie runs and the wife chases her, falls, and her mouth busts open full of blood.

I'm watching because I usually love all shows/movies based in New York City.

But I'm bewildered; I'm not sure why people love this show. Is because of Carrie's outfits?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
Because it was entertaining, a bit soapy, sometimes very funny, and the characters were flawed and got into interesting situations. Why do people like any tv show?

Old 12-27-2013, 01:46 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

I'm watching a scene where Carrie has an affair with a married man and the wife comes home and sees her. Carrie runs and the wife chases her, falls, and her mouth busts open full of blood.

But I'm bewildered; I'm not sure why people love this show. Is because of Carrie's outfits?

You have to see it from the beginning. That situation was out of character even for Carrie. She was regretful and learned from it.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:54 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
I think the first season was quite different from anything else on TV and was considered quite exciting. Then it actually morphs into something quite different and just a bunch of women obsessing about men and marriage. But if you watched the first season you probably stuck around and watched the rest just because. At least thats the way I feel. I've not read the book but I've read that the book is quite different from series which is more mainstream. But....season 1 came the closest to the book.
Season 1 is the season I like best. Carrie becomes my absolute least favorite character after that. Viewed in its entirety its easy to see how it turns from women not living life by societal rules to standard stereotypical bs. Gack. Personally I think that was Sarah Jessica Parker's influence, she may be socially liberal but is personally quite conservative.
The best part I think of all the seasons and the reason I watched is the idea of women maintaining their friendships over a long term and changing life circumstance. That's hard to do and watching it was somehow comforting.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,600 times
FreshFresh,

As said above, it really does have to be watched from the beginning. The married man in the episode you mentioned is not just a random man. IMO, it also makes a difference if you are watching on Esquire/Style, or on DVD. I don't think it currently plays on HBO but since I no longer have it, I can't say for sure.

My introduction to it was on HBO and it was destination tv for my husband and me. As a former NYer the location gave it a boost for me. I didn't like every character and every romantic choice every minute but would rank the series in my top at least ten.

I did not read the Candace Bushnell (sp) book either, but enjoyed the "picture book" for lack of a better word, with all the trivia. It seems that SJP has some kind of ownership in the show. She also had it in her contract that she would never appear topless.

While the first movie seems to play often, I have not seen the second one on tv at all.

From Giesela: "The best part I think of all the seasons and the reason I watched is the idea of women maintaining their friendships over a long term and changing life circumstance. That's hard to do and watching it was somehow comforting" I so agree.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:00 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
It has everything, characters that you can relate too, attitudes, sex, love, clothes, dilemmas, fantasy, reality, men, and life happenings.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:00 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Because everyone can see something of themselves in each one of the four main characters

It's fun to see what the women are up to in each episode

It's set in Manhattan

Who wouldn't love to be a part of a group of friends like that?

Old 12-28-2013, 06:18 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

I think mostly because you could count on Kim Cattrell getting naked. Cynthia Nixon was the bonus pick for that.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think mostly because you could count on Kim Cattrell getting naked. Cynthia Nixon was the bonus pick for that.

Maybe when the show first came out on HBO. I never watched it back then. I've only started watching it within the last year or so when they show repeats on E!, Style Network (now Esquire), and sometimes on some other stations (can't remember which). The block out all the bad language and nudity. They even blur out behinds so there's no nudity whatsoever.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:11 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Maybe when the show first came out on HBO. I never watched it back then. I've only started watching it within the last year or so when they show repeats on E!, Style Network (now Esquire), and sometimes on some other stations (can't remember which). The block out all the bad language and nudity. They even blur out behinds so there's no nudity whatsoever.
The blocked-out versions suck! It doesn't do the show justice.

Watch it on DVD if that is the only way to get the original shows. Maybe you can find a friend who has the whole DVD set since a lot of people bought it. I borrowed my niece's set. Heck, even my local library had it in its original format. And definitely watch the series from the beginning. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV