Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 10:30 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times

Advertisements

I have noticed this trend where they stopped focusing on the price of the vehicle. The commercials used to always end with an MSRP and/or lease price. But now they have gone away from that. Some of them dont even have the MSRP or lease price in the fine print anymore.

I know being the internet age and all its easily accessible info. But it still doesn't seem prudent to advertise a commodity that can range from 15-35k+ without even mentioning what it costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 02:40 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I have noticed this trend where they stopped focusing on the price of the vehicle. The commercials used to always end with an MSRP and/or lease price. But now they have gone away from that. Some of them dont even have the MSRP or lease price in the fine print anymore.

I know being the internet age and all its easily accessible info. But it still doesn't seem prudent to advertise a commodity that can range from 15-35k+ without even mentioning what it costs.
car commercials are about selling cars.its all about how fun it is to drive and great gas mileage.if car commercials reflected reality, we would see people getting speeding tickets ,paying outrageous repair bills getting flats, putting up with traffic ,aggressive drivers, trying to find parking spots, feeding parking meters.
of course they're not going to show the price, not when a cheap car now is $15k and a typical price is $25k.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:53 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
The car commercials here all have the price, either buy or lease, displayed.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:17 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I have noticed this trend where they stopped focusing on the price of the vehicle.
I think by law they would be required to give "price as shown". Since they are obviously going to show a car on TV with every option, it would be difficult to give the MSRP of the car, and then state that is not the car in the commercial.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I see commercials advertising the manufacturer lease price (monthly) sometimes
but we have many local dealerships that advertise sale prices on specific models all the time. Just in the last couple of hours I saw one for the Jeep Patriot and another for Kia that showed prices.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
If the commercial is aired nationally, it would be difficult to display the price, since prices vary by region of the country. The MSRP is uniform, of course, but the further you are from the port of entry or manufacture, the more money has to be tacked onto the price in order to offset the shipping costs. There's also those pesky "extra costs" that some dealers tack on, which can vary by dealer. If you see "15,000" advertised in a national ad but your local dealer charges 15,500, you're going to be sore at the dealer for "bait and switch" and false advertising, and the dealer's going to be sore at the manufacturer for advertising a price that the dealer can't deliver. Better to let the local dealer provide the price.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:09 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
You don't see a purchase price too often because the prices are getting so high. But monthly lease prices are shown all the time. But even lease amounts are getting pricey, so they now say 'JUST $499 a month' or 'ONLY $349 a month' to make you think you're getting a super deal.
The words ''just' and 'only' are being used for many other services and products.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
If the commercial is aired nationally, it would be difficult to display the price, since prices vary by region of the country. The MSRP is uniform, of course, but the further you are from the port of entry or manufacture, the more money has to be tacked onto the price in order to offset the shipping costs. There's also those pesky "extra costs" that some dealers tack on, which can vary by dealer. If you see "15,000" advertised in a national ad but your local dealer charges 15,500, you're going to be sore at the dealer for "bait and switch" and false advertising, and the dealer's going to be sore at the manufacturer for advertising a price that the dealer can't deliver. Better to let the local dealer provide the price.
This is the answer. Cars are have so many options these days. So the prices vary wildly. The manufacturers also dont want to cut into the accessory or "pesky add on" business of its dealers so it usualky refrains from pricing unless it is a loss leader or special ad car with a lease payment or msrp.

Manufacturers sometimes raise prices based on the price of raw materials or fuel even if nothing else about the car changes.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:07 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
Quote:
You don't see a purchase price too often because the prices are getting so high.
Showing my age:
It was kind of annoying when the majority of cars went over $10,000, because car ads began saying the prices in a new way: "Ten-nine-nine-nine" rather than "ten thousand, nine hundred, ninety nine". Now they just say numbers without the word "thousand" or even the "hundred" in it, trying to obscure or otherwise make the number sound lower than it is.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:22 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I have to laugh at how old I'm getting. The truck commercials now show things like "$3000 in savings!"

So I'm thinking, "wow! three brand for a Chevy Silverado. Sounds about right."

Then I remember I'm referencing 1960s prices. A damn base 2015 Silverado starts at about thirty-five grand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV