Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 11:25 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,018 times

Advertisements

Netflix adds some movies

I've got about 7 seasons of Dexter left so I should be good for at least a week or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:46 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
If I can go rent the DVD for $1.29 at Redbox (a physical copy that requires money to create the copy and pay for machines and for people to fill them) why does it cost $4 to rent a digital copy that costs pennies for the content provider?
You're getting a bit off-topic. Netflix charges $7.95 per MONTH for streaming, not $4 per MOVIE. This thread is about Netflix (not Amazon, and not Redbox). Also, streaming affords convenience that even DVD delivery by mail does not afford, and for the vast majority of people a DVD of a specific movie affords no advantages over streaming that specific movie.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:19 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,263,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If someone's employer doesn't pay them enough, then it's okay for them to shoplift?
I didn't say anything about it being ok. I just said that's the main reason it happens and the ways the studios try to prevent piracy, by locking up titles and limiting streaming licenses, actually help increase piracy. I feel pretty confident that if everything were available to stream on Netflix, even for $15 a month, piracy would go down. There's no need for content providers to create this constant carousel of titles on Netflix.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about it being ok. I just said that's the main reason it happens and the ways the studios try to prevent piracy, by locking up titles and limiting streaming licenses, actually help increase piracy. I feel pretty confident that if everything were available to stream on Netflix, even for $15 a month, piracy would go down. There's no need for content providers to create this constant carousel of titles on Netflix.

This is the way i see it too.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,103,467 times
People who complain there's nothing on Neflix must have nothing to do but watch TV. How anyone could have seen anything they offer is beyond me. I never run out of things to watch.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
People who complain there's nothing on Neflix must have nothing to do but watch TV. How anyone could have seen anything they offer is beyond me. I never run out of things to watch.
I never quite understand posts like this. Are they a backhanded comment about us losers who don't have a life and watch too much tv?

Or

Are they a brag about themselves, about having a life (which is of course wonderful) and not having to watch too much tv?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times
Quote:
If I can go rent the DVD for $1.29 at Redbox (a physical copy that requires money to create the copy and pay for machines and for people to fill them) why does it cost $4 to rent a digital copy that costs pennies for the content provider?
Yep, excellent post. Hopefully as the market matures we will see a correction but it must be consumer driven.

---

Question for y'all - is there a website that keeps track of the content of tall the major providers or do I need to check each one individually? Often I will think of a movie I want to see and then have to search through Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc., and even then I often don't find it.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I never quite understand posts like this. Are they a backhanded comment about us losers who don't have a life and watch too much tv?

Or

Are they a brag about themselves, about having a life (which is of course wonderful) and not having to watch too much tv?
I didn't call anyone a loser - you did. Sensitive much? There are TONS of TV shows...Dexter, Scandal, American Horror Story, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, How I Met Your Mother, Walking Dead, and so many more. There are documentaries, reality shows, classic movies, new releases, etc. I honestly don't get how anyone could say they can't find anything to watch. And it's 8 bucks a month. For 8 bucks a month if there was even one show I wanted to watch it would be worth it. I honestly don't understand how anyone could say there's nothing to watch unless they spend every minute of their life watching everything there is to watch on there and even then I don't see how you could run out of things. And anything you want that's not instant you can get through their DVD service for an additional 8 bucks a month. Heaven forbid someone have to do something terrible like wait a couple days to watch something they want to see.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Yep, excellent post. Hopefully as the market matures we will see a correction but it must be consumer driven.

---

Question for y'all - is there a website that keeps track of the content of tall the major providers or do I need to check each one individually? Often I will think of a movie I want to see and then have to search through Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc., and even then I often don't find it.
I have a Roku and it has a search feature that looks through all of those to see if any of them offer a specific title. I don't know if there is another way.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,228 times
I love Netflix. They've taken away some stuff that I've been annoyed about, but then I've also been introduced to new/old shows and movies. It's the best $8 I spend per month, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV