Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:24 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,354 times

Advertisements

This Monday on the USA Network WWE is going to present their third (?) Old School Raw, featuring the return of the legends of pro wrestling.

Scheduled to appear: Ric Flair, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ted Dibiase, Bob Backlund, Mike "IRS" Rotunda, Rikishi, "Mean" Gene Okerlund, Diamond Dallas Page and others.

Old School Raw - Monday at 8/7 CT on USA Network | WWE.com

Anyone planning to tune in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
This Monday on the USA Network WWE is going to present their third (?) Old School Raw, featuring the return of the legends of pro wrestling.

Scheduled to appear: Ric Flair, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Ted Dibiase, Bob Backlund, Mike "IRS" Rotunda, Rikishi, "Mean" Gene Okerlund, Diamond Dallas Page and others.

Old School Raw - Monday at 8/7 CT on USA Network | WWE.com

Anyone planning to tune in?
Sounds pretty good. I grew up with Ric Flair. I was a kid in the 70s and watched "Mid Atlantic Wrestling" from Raleigh NC.
Some of the guys who wrestled in the Mid Atlantic you mentioned above included Flair, Piper and Rotunda. Ted Dibiase was on "Georgia Championship Wrestling". I didn't see Backlund much since he mostly wrestled in the WWF/WWE but he was a great technical wrestler.There are some clips of GCW on youtube.

Here is a clip with Ric Flair from 1977.I watched this on TV back then.

A Star is Born: Steamboat Flair for the TV title from 1977 - YouTube

There are a lot of Mid Atlantic Wrestling clips on youtube .

Old 01-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Sounds pretty good. I grew up with Ric Flair. I was a kid in the 70s and watched "Mid Atlantic Wrestling" from Raleigh NC.
Some of the guys who wrestled in the Mid Atlantic you mentioned above included Flair, Piper and Rotunda. Ted Dibiase was on "Georgia Championship Wrestling". There are some clips of GCW on youtube.

Here is a clip with Ric Flair from 1977.I watched this on TV back then.

A Star is Born: Steamboat Flair for the TV title from 1977 - YouTube

There is a lot of Mid Atlantic Wrestling clips on youtube .
I grew up on the west coast but from the mid-80's on I was very aware of what was going on in the Mid-Atlantic, Georgia and Jim Crockett Promotions. Some of the absolute best wrestling programs came from that area.
I always loved the wrestling shows that took place in the TV Studios, I always thought it had a cooler feel for TV when you could actually hear what the audience members were saying a lot of times.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I grew up on the west coast but from the mid-80's on I was very aware of what was going on in the Mid-Atlantic, Georgia and Jim Crockett Promotions. Some of the absolute best wrestling programs came from that area.
I always loved the wrestling shows that took place in the TV Studios, I always thought it had a cooler feel for TV when you could actually hear what the audience members were saying a lot of times.
Jim Crockett knew his stuff-he just didn't have the money Vince McMahon had. I am from Upstate SC not too far from one of the great arenas of Mid Atlantic Wrestling in the 70s and 80s which was the Greenville Memorial Auditorium. Ole Anderson was stabbed there!This area was much more rural in the 70s so wrestling was something to do and it was big. Every Monday night at the auditorium. Ric Flair and Wahoo McDaniel about killed each other there. One thing you wouldn't believe is how small some of the towns were that they would go to on a weekly basis. They would wrestle in high school gyms besides auditoriums all across Virginia ,North Carolina , South Carolina and Georgia. I can't remember the exact town but once in the late 70's they had a world title change in someplace like Rome Georgia and back then a title change was a big deal! I think it was Harley race who dropped the belt but then he regained it a few days later. Still to see a title change was a bit of history.LOL .

BTW I miss those studio shows too.Those were done at WRAL in Raleigh. The clip above with Ric Flair is from WRAL. Later on they were done at different auditoriums around Virginia and the Carolinas.

This is not as clear as it used to be but its a great example of an old school world title change. Harley Race vrs Dusty Rhodes from 1981.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dkxAXmHSto

The really cool thing that you don't see on this clip is that after the match was over, with everyone going nuts at the Omni in Atlanta over Dusty Rhodes winning the title ,Harley Race goes over to Rhodes and shakes his hand and then walks back to the dressing room alone to what was supposed to be his retirement. Ric Flair and Harley Race beat the hell out of each other but they were very close. Ric called Harley "the toughest man walking".

A great promo from Harley race when wrestlers knew how to do promos! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XBbdh1HHKc

Last edited by senecaman; 01-02-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Jim Crockett knew his stuff-he just didn't have the money Vince McMahon had. I am from Upstate SC not too far from one of the great arenas of Mid Atlantic Wrestling in the 70s and 80s which was the Greenville Memorial Auditorium. Ole Anderson was stabbed there!This area was much more rural in the 70s so wrestling was something to do and it was big. Every Monday night at the auditorium. Ric Flair and Wahoo McDaniel about killed each other there. One thing you wouldn't believe is how small some of the towns were that they would go to on a weekly basis. They would wrestle in high school gyms besides auditoriums all across Virginia ,North Carolina , South Carolina and Georgia. I can't remember the exact town but once in the late 70's they had a world title change in someplace like Rome Georgia and back then a title change was a big deal! I think it was Harley race who dropped the belt but then he regained it a few days later. Still to see a title change was a bit of history.LOL .

BTW I miss those studio shows too.Those were done at WRAL in Raleigh. The clip above with Ric Flair is from WRAL. Later on they were done at different auditoriums around Virginia and the Carolinas.

This is not as clear as it used to be but its a great example of an old school world title change. Harley Race vrs Dusty Rhoades from 1981.

Dusty Rhodes vs Harley Race - NWA World Title Change - YouTube

and a great promo from Harley race when wrestlers knew how to do promos! lol

Harley Race delivers the best damn promo - YouTube
Are you perhaps talking about Tommy Rich in the upset of the 80's beating Race in Augusta?

"when wrestlers knew how to do promos" It was a totally different business when you had to talk people into leaving their homes, braving traffic, standing in line, laying their hard earned money down for tickets once a week instead of just remembering to tune in on Monday Nights.

Oh, and if Doc Brown ever gets that flux capacitor up and running I'll be heading back to see Wahoo & Flair, and maybe take a few trips back to even earlier for Wahoo & Johnny Valentine!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Are you perhaps talking about Tommy Rich in the upset of the 80's beating Race in Augusta?

"when wrestlers knew how to do promos" It was a totally different business when you had to talk people into leaving their homes, braving traffic, standing in line, laying their hard earned money down for tickets once a week instead of just remembering to tune in on Monday Nights.

Oh, and if Doc Brown ever gets that flux capacitor up and running I'll be heading back to see Wahoo & Flair, and maybe take a few trips back to even earlier for Wahoo & Johnny Valentine!
I think your right about that match being the one where Tommy Rich beat race in Augusta. Thanks ! You know this stuff better than I do .Great memories too! !My nephew is 23 so he wasn't around then but even he knows that Tommy Rich had the shortest NWA title reign. LOL

So did you get Mid Atlantic Wrestling on TV? I watched it on my local NBC station on Saturdays at 1 PM during the 1970s and 80s. I didn't have cable being out in the boonies at the time so I didn't get to see Georgia Championship Wrestling nearly as much unless I went to my brothers' place in town where he had cable.

I found the Race-Rich match .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXGOhFOPoz0

Last edited by senecaman; 01-02-2014 at 04:56 PM..

Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 PM

Just to show you what it looked like this was our Madison Square Garden at the time in Greenville SC. The old Memorial Auditorium. It was imploded and a 15000 seat arena was built to replace it in the late 90s, but we don't have wrestling there like we did at the auditorium.

http://www.cardcow.com/images/set328/card00322_fr.jpg

A site about the auditorium from Jim Crockett Promotions.

http://www.midatlanticgateway.com/re...nville/gma.htm

Old 01-02-2014, 05:01 PM

Awesome, I didn't think it was online!

No, I became a wrestling fan in 1986, was 8 years old and was (shamefully) introduced through Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling cartoon, lol. I watched WWF TV for a few weeks and then one night the JCP syndicated show World Wide Wrestling came on afterwards and I was hooked. I started getting all the magazines, all the books I could find (back then there weren't a lot) and I just tried to learn as much as I could. I became a collector of magazines and buying old back issues (the oldest one I have to date is an old Wrestling Revue mag from 1966 with Freddie Blassie on the cover) And through all of that I grew to have a great appreciation for the Mid-Atlantic region and all of the wrestling that happened there.
It truly was a mecca for wrestling. Of course every area of the country had their own territories that were huge for them. I have family in Portland Oregon and sometimes when the subject of wrestling comes up with the older members or people in the area the first names they jump to are Dutch Savage, Lonnie Mayne and Playboy Buddy Rose.
I have a nephew who is 14 and he's playing football now, and he's always asking me about former pro football players who became wrestlers. Just the other night I was telling him about Wahoo.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Just to show you what it looked like this was our Madison Square Garden at the time in Greenville SC. The old Memorial Auditorium. It was imploded and a 15000 seat arena was built to replace it in the late 90s, but we don't have wrestling there like we did at the auditorium.

http://www.cardcow.com/images/set328/card00322_fr.jpg

A site about the auditorium from Jim Crockett Promotions.

Mid-Atlantic Wrestling Gateway: Classic Venues
Man, that Memorial Auditorium has a great look! I love the old buildings, hate when they get tore down. Such living history in those things.

I love the Midatlantic Gateway website.

Have you seen this documentary (or the trailer for it)?

Bob Caudle Introduces Mid-Atlantic Memories Project - YouTube

Old 01-02-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Awesome, I didn't think it was online!

No, I became a wrestling fan in 1986, was 8 years old and was (shamefully) introduced through Hulk Hogan's Rock N Wrestling cartoon, lol. I watched WWF TV for a few weeks and then one night the JCP syndicated show World Wide Wrestling came on afterwards and I was hooked. I started getting all the magazines, all the books I could find (back then there weren't a lot) and I just tried to learn as much as I could. I became a collector of magazines and buying old back issues (the oldest one I have to date is an old Wrestling Revue mag from 1966 with Freddie Blassie on the cover) And through all of that I grew to have a great appreciation for the Mid-Atlantic region and all of the wrestling that happened there.
It truly was a mecca for wrestling. Of course every area of the country had their own territories that were huge for them. I have family in Portland Oregon and sometimes when the subject of wrestling comes up with the older members or people in the area the first names they jump to are Dutch Savage, Lonnie Mayne and Playboy Buddy Rose.
I have a nephew who is 14 and he's playing football now, and he's always asking me about former pro football players who became wrestlers. Just the other night I was telling him about Wahoo.
Wow you have impressed me! You know your stuff and I live here in the Mid Atlantic Area ! LOL

In our area Mid Atlantic Wrestling came on at 1 pm on Saturday and World Wide Wrestling came on at night at 11 and then later when they moved out of the studios Mid Atlantic was renamed World Wide Wrestling and then latter on WCW before it was sold to Ted Turner and later on Vince McMahon who basically imo ruined everything.

Playboy Buddy Rose was in this area for awhile. As for football players who became wrestlers there were a lot of them .I cant name them all but they included Wahoo , Blackjack Mulligan (Barry Windham's father), the big cat Earnie Ladd and a lot of others. I met Wahoo at a card at my high school gym back in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV