Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 05:53 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiderotsGhost View Post
This is spot-on.

Of the survival shows I've seen, "Survivorman" and "Man Woman Wild" are the best, followed by "Dual Survival". All three are good in my view (and I'd keep away from Bear Gryllis). "Survivorman" is my favorite to watch (a bit more philosophical) while "Man Woman Wild" is probably the best at teaching the audience survival skills. "Dual Survival" is good, but has its bouts of phony drama created by the producers, as well.

I found Dave Canterbury to be a good source of knowledge. In spite of the fact that Cody is theoretically a bigger "survival expert" than Dave, I learned a lot more from Dave, who has a great way of explaining things, and doesn't do quite as stupid stuff like going shoeless in Montana in the winter while climbing down mountains. Cody is interesting, but tough to take him seriously at times due to his impracticality.

Haven't seen the 3rd season with the new guy yet, though. (Have to wait till it hits Netflix.)
The 3rd season did not do much for me. The new guy, Joe Teti, is decent but the show just was not as interesting to me without Dave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 AM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times
A Heads Up for any Dual Survival fans - In the middle February, Cody Lundin blogged that he was fired by Discovery over differences on health and safety concerns. Apparently in an effort to make things seem more dangerous (and grab better ratings) Discovery producers wanted to push the envelope past the point where Cody felt comfortable.

Anybody who has watched the show knows that Cody was no wimp, so you can only imagine what kind of things they were pushing the guys to do. Kudos for Cody in drawing a line in the sand and a big penalty on Discovery for putting ratings ahead of safety.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
^^^^ Oh no, he was fired??? Cody basically WAS the show. I haven't seen it recently, I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 episodes with the new guy but I loved that show. I don't know, I see no reason to watch it now if Cody is no longer on it. I'd love to go to his camp for a couple of weeks, pretty expensive though.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:59 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
A Heads Up for any Dual Survival fans - In the middle February, Cody Lundin blogged that he was fired by Discovery over differences on health and safety concerns. Apparently in an effort to make things seem more dangerous (and grab better ratings) Discovery producers wanted to push the envelope past the point where Cody felt comfortable.

Anybody who has watched the show knows that Cody was no wimp, so you can only imagine what kind of things they were pushing the guys to do. Kudos for Cody in drawing a line in the sand and a big penalty on Discovery for putting ratings ahead of safety.
Just to point out something, your opinion that Cody "was no wimp" is debatable. He argued a LOT with both Dave and Joe any time they wanted to do anything that he considered "unacceptable," including checking traps at night, hunting animals, and drinking water that hadn't been boiled. Now, you may say "that makes sense, I agree with him," but the reality is he wasn't exactly the most daring survivalist. I'm not saying he was wrong, but his threshold isn't exactly the last word in daring-do.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Yes Cody marches to the beat of some odd and unknown drum.

Just read that Dual Survival has been renewed. Cody I'm sure will be replaced by some shoe wear'in survivalist.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
In the Chicago area, the first show of the season is this Friday. They are showing commercials for it now.

In the commercials, Joe is heard arguing and then yelling at Cody.

I am surprised that they would fire Cody but he really seems to be getting uncomfortable with direction of the show. Personally, I had thought that some of the disagreements were somewhat staged to create some drama on the show. Sometimes Cody objected to pretty reasonable moves (carrying firewood, hiking to get ice).

If Dual Survivor turns into a Bear X 2 type show, with lots of stupid, dangerous stunts, I will quit watching.

However, if they bring in another solid survival expert and continue to contrast the different approaches, I will still watch.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:10 PM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Just to point out something, your opinion that Cody "was no wimp" is debatable. He argued a LOT with both Dave and Joe any time they wanted to do anything that he considered "unacceptable," including checking traps at night, hunting animals, and drinking water that hadn't been boiled. Now, you may say "that makes sense, I agree with him," but the reality is he wasn't exactly the most daring survivalist. I'm not saying he was wrong, but his threshold isn't exactly the last word in daring-do.
Survival under adverse conditions can be a matter of life and death. Of course in TV land, daring do and dangerous risks are rating grabbers. However, in real life, a "daring survivalist" isn't just an oxymoron, it's a synonym for dead man.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 AM

1,136 posts, read 941,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Survival under adverse conditions can be a matter of life and death. Of course in TV land, daring do and dangerous risks are rating grabbers. However, in real life, a "daring survivalist" isn't just an oxymoron, it's a synonym for dead man.
Absolutely, but the benchmark for what is "daring" isn't set by Cody Lundin. It's not "what Cody decides is sensible and anything more is dangerous and foolhardy." Everyone has their comfort zone and abilities and part of the show was demonstrating how different people have different survival opinions. People fall into this a lot, in all areas of life, where they think there's only one "right" way to do something. Like, Cody is doing it "right" and everyone else is a wild man. No, Cody is doing it right for him and the others were doing it right for them. Cody might also die doing it his way -- there's no guarantee, is there?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
I have to agree Cody was always in dispute with Joe as to what's safe or not. One episode in Africa, they had the perfect shelter in a huge carved out tree and Cody didn't want to inhale bat poo, so they ended up using something else.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:50 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
Shoes were invented for a reason AND it does feel good to kick them off. Too bad Cody doesn't know what that's like. On the other hand he sure saves a whole lot of money at the Shoe store.

How does Cody shop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV