Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,889 times

Advertisements

Just a little venting from over the weekend.... Having watched all the Wild Card NFL matchups, they showed that terrible Verizon commercial hundreds of times. There's the guy taking seemingly red laser things out of a box.... first a watch as he looks like a spy, then a helmet cam or light or something because now he's a snowboarder! Then, I think they are portable speakers of some sort, as he "rocks out" like a complete air guitar playing douche bag...

What is the commercial for??? Having watched it in confusion and disgust every commercial break, I still don't get what they are selling. Just implant Verizon in your head, or are they selling their seemingly unindentifiable products he's pulling out of the bag? Are they trying to be like Radio Shack?

Alternatively, we'll show a guy slow-mo dancing and making shapes with red lasers... explains it all perfectly....

Let's move on... Chevy Silverado.... If I ever want to go dirt bike racing in the desert, or rescue a lost calf in a monsoon, I now know what truck to buy, thank you. Could they relate to people less? All I know from that commercial is I can fit 1 dirt bike in the back, but I still have to freaking tow the rest of them. Can't any pickup truck do that?

Speaking of not relating to regular people, IPAD Air. Don't get me wrong, we have 4 IPAD's in my house, but the commercial is so stupid. If I want to film my hang-gliding experience, I probably not taking my IPAD up there with me. Or perhaps scuba-diving with it, or composing an original ballad... no. They should show somebody checking their email, watching YouTube, playing Angry Birds and browsing the web, that's what 99% of people use it for.

Does anyone not know McDonalds exists? They still feel the need to spend 1 billion dollars in advertising just to make sure I guess. Maybe it's just me, but commercials are so stupid and pointless. Perhaps I'm overly cynical... Excuse me, I gotta go, I have a hankerin for a Big Mac for some reason!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Do what I do- hit the mute and walk away during the brain washing, I mean advertising, breaks.

Or get one of those devices where you can fast forward through them.

I share your complete and utter disdain for this pervasive stuff.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
It's like the old geezer playing basket ball telling you about the new heart medicine or the elephant walking on the beach.
So many commercials theses days.. I think cooperate American thinks every one has a I.Q. of a turnip..

Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
And yet Verizon, Chevy, iPad, McDonalds, etc. are still on your mind.

Looks like they got you to remember their brand names.

Now, whether you are upset enough to boycott them because you feel they were wasting their money remains to be seen.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
And yet Verizon, Chevy, iPad, McDonalds, etc. are still on your mind.

Looks like they got you to remember their brand names.

Now, whether you are upset enough to boycott them because you feel they were wasting their money remains to be seen.
Yeah sometimes I forget the names of those billion dollar companies. I know there's Sprint, AT&T, and what's that other one.... hmmm.... damn, I forget!

I base buying products and/or services on which one fits my needs the best, not which one has the wackiest commercial otherwise I would be drinking Dr. Pepper all the time and own 10 Toyotas, because both have been known to cause dancing in the streets, hot girls to appear randomly, and fire hydrants to explode with no notice!

Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Simple solution, leave the television turned off.
I haven't watched television in about 15 years and haven't seen one commercial in all that time, who knew.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 PM

511 posts, read 491,439 times
Yes...all these companies have proven, year after year, that they just like to spend money on advertising that generates no sales whatsoever.
How silly of them.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I haven't watched television in about 15 years and haven't seen one commercial in all that time, who knew.
Now that's even more silly than the commercials!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:19 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
The one commercial that just chaps my mule.... is the Red & Blue bears and the toilet paper and "Klingons"

Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

What no Honey Boo Boo We just DVR everything and fast forward through the commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV