Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 05:04 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I don't watch the show anymore but I always found it funny when he grabs her at the end of the show and she struggles to keep up with him when he runs out. Like a dad pulling his child behind.
LOL, I always thought she was going to break her neck and fall off her heels while trying to keep up with her. She should be promoting Nike sneakers or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:30 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
He's not a doctor, he's an entertainer*. He's in show business. It's all about promotion.

He's a circus clown. Don't be surprised that in between his shticks and antics, he touts himself. That's what circus clowns do.

You might consider turning the channel to something that isn't so stupefyingly inane.

* - No, I don't care about his Ph.D. On television, he is not practicing clinical psychology - he is entertaining (for those entertained by such things, anyway).

Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
I've watched, stopped watching, and started watching again.

I get through the first 20 minutes (thank you TiVo and the FF) and give up. It all ends up the same no matter who and what the issue is of "the day".

Dr. Schill talking about pancakes, rolling his eyes and hamming it up for the camera EVERY DARN SHOW.

I think the studio audience is more than stupid 99% of the time because they just "giggle" every time Dr. Phil says something that he should be slapped upside his bald head for.

Now we have Robin and Philip shilling Robin's skin products, at only $60 for 7.7 ounces (over 3 products to be used in conjunction with one another) and they use women on the show who can't afford to get out of a bad marriage to showcase it all.

And let's not forget Robin is giving someone a make-over, because the way domestic violence/abuse ends is with a new dress and a cut/color/waxing.

If happiness were only found in a great smelling skin care regiment or new dress, because it's all about looking "good"...no matter the cost.

This is why he didn't bring back anyone who failed on his 2000th show.

Alexandra from the "Dr. Phil Family" is useless. Where was she? And he even bought her a car....

Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,432 times
Like most things in America, we can blame Oprah for this.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:21 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Since many posts stated that they quit watching, I will relay what I have seen while watching.

• Robin was on once and told the audience that she chose to be in the audience daily and that SHE is the one that is a fast walker and he has to keep up with her. That's what she said.

• Her skin care profits, 100% I believe, pays the bill for her foundation that is for abused women. The skin care is not for the abused women, the app and the help is for the abused women. The skin care funds it.

• He doesn't actually do the counseling if you have noticed, he sends all the guests that accept his offers to accredited counselors and doctors. His opinion is for the 40 or less minutes while on stage.

• I don't always agree with him, but his religious beliefs are his own, tolerance for those you don't agree with is in short supply sometimes.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:07 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
Robin is devoutly Evangelical Christian and has been a keynote speaker at many women of faith's empowerment conferences around the country. She uses her religious beliefs as the basis for her empowerment. Phil is also a Christian, but not as devout as Robin. Both he and Robin had abusive, alcoholic fathers (although his father was also a Ph.D. psychologist), and that has shaped their lives together. Neither one drinks, and they're very much involved in their children's lives. When their son Jay got married, they had an over-the-top wedding for them in their mega-mansion; then went all out when Jay and his wife had their first child, but toned it down (publicly anyway) for their second child. It's no wonder Jordan stays out of the limelight as much as possible.

Ironically, Dr. Phil's first wife has claimed over the years that he was abusive during their short marriage, and early in Phil and Robin's marriage, there were allegations that he was abusive to her, as well. I don't know if it was physical abuse or emotional or psychological abuse, but it's interesting that in his younger, pre-famous days, he wasn't as wonderful as he prides himself in being now.

From Wikipedia:
Personal life

McGraw married his first wife, an ex-cheerleader and homecoming queen named Debbie Higgins McCall, in 1970, when he was 20 years old.[11] According to her, McGraw was domineering and would not allow her to participate in the family business. She claimed that she was confined to domestic duties, which included lifting weights to improve her bustline.[63]

During the process of annulling the marriage in 1973, McGraw began dating Robin Jo Jameson (born December 28, 1953).[64] The couple had two children, Jay, born in 1979, and Jordan, born 1986.[65]

Old 04-25-2014, 07:46 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Watched the View today, do a few times/week and Dr. Phil was on. He said he grew up in a religion that believed women should be "submissive." He didn't knock his religion, still what he practices from what he said. "And oh," he continued, "Submissive isn't meant to be construed in a negative way, but in an unconditional love type way." Whatever that garbage means! Now we know why their marriage works...for him anyways!
I have the feeling Dr. Phil feels everyone should submit to him. He clearly feels there's one set of rules for him, and another for everyone else. Look at the things/advice he says and how he runs his own life. I remember catching an episode where there was a woman on his show who stole a baby. She was claiming his montage of her was edited to make her look worse. He got nasty with her and said something along the lines of "This is the DR. PHIL SHOW. I don't need YOU. People would be watching any way". What sort of doctor says that to a mentally ill person? Second, he's the not the one putting the clips together. How does he know they're not edited to look worse, like most shows do?

Old 04-25-2014, 07:51 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Robin is devoutly Evangelical Christian and has been a keynote speaker at many women of faith's empowerment conferences around the country. She uses her religious beliefs as the basis for her empowerment. Phil is also a Christian, but not as devout as Robin. Both he and Robin had abusive, alcoholic fathers (although his father was also a Ph.D. psychologist), and that has shaped their lives together. Neither one drinks, and they're very much involved in their children's lives. When their son Jay got married, they had an over-the-top wedding for them in their mega-mansion; then went all out when Jay and his wife had their first child, but toned it down (publicly anyway) for their second child. It's no wonder Jordan stays out of the limelight as much as possible.

Ironically, Dr. Phil's first wife has claimed over the years that he was abusive during their short marriage, and early in Phil and Robin's marriage, there were allegations that he was abusive to her, as well. I don't know if it was physical abuse or emotional or psychological abuse, but it's interesting that in his younger, pre-famous days, he wasn't as wonderful as he prides himself in being now.

From Wikipedia:
Personal life

McGraw married his first wife, an ex-cheerleader and homecoming queen named Debbie Higgins McCall, in 1970, when he was 20 years old.[11] According to her, McGraw was domineering and would not allow her to participate in the family business. She claimed that she was confined to domestic duties, which included lifting weights to improve her bustline.[63]

During the process of annulling the marriage in 1973, McGraw began dating Robin Jo Jameson (born December 28, 1953).[64] The couple had two children, Jay, born in 1979, and Jordan, born 1986.[65]
To the bolded, I believe it. Dr. Phil has the traits of an abuser. He's controlling and manipulative. He does it to probably mask his own flaws. He's not a handsome man. Notice how beauty is important to him. That's classic sign of an abuser to be one way, nicer, to the public and another at home. Robin acts like a wife who is abused. You can tell she's afraid of him.

Either way, Dr. Phil is a hypocrite. Notice if someone else did the things he did for his children, and he's had a few guests who were well to do, he would flip out. Everything he does is ok.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:55 AM

670 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
To the bolded, I believe it. Dr. Phil has the traits of an abuser. He's controlling and manipulative. He does it to probably mask his own flaws. He's not a handsome man. Notice how beauty is important to him. That's classic sign of an abuser to be one way, nicer, to the public and another at home. Robin acts like a wife who is abused. You can tell she's afraid of him.
Either way, Dr. Phil is a hypocrite.

Based on firsthand accounts from the person I know who worked for him, he was verbally abusive to his employees. He would berate and publicly humiliate them in front of the other employees. Men and women alike were reduced to tears. He's a bully and a jerk.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I have the feeling Dr. Phil feels everyone should submit to him. He clearly feels there's one set of rules for him, and another for everyone else. Look at the things/advice he says and how he runs his own life. I remember catching an episode where there was a woman on his show who stole a baby. She was claiming his montage of her was edited to make her look worse. He got nasty with her and said something along the lines of "This is the DR. PHIL SHOW. I don't need YOU. People would be watching any way". What sort of doctor says that to a mentally ill person? Second, he's the not the one putting the clips together. How does he know they're not edited to look worse, like most shows do?
I remember early, early on with his show. I always knew there was abuse in his background cuz he was abusive. It was very clear to me and probably from the father's side. Males commonly imitate male role models. See post above saying he was abused by alcoholic father.
I agree you don't talk to mentally ill people with disdain or contempt. My gosh, shock therapy I guess. He has a few of his own problems to work out. Crazy Oprah didn't see that?! Whatever, we're all living & learning so we all make mistakes , but thankfully not on TV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV