Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 03:35 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times

Advertisements

I liked episode 5 pretty well. The first 3 were the best so far. I was obsessed and watched those 3 several times. Episode 4 really took the wind out of my sails, I just didn't care for it at all now I'm not quite as excited anymore.
Still think its great and Woody and MM are amazing together. But episode 4 and the direction they took just took it down some notches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm surprised people are falling for the "Cohle did it" theory. I think he's still investigating the murder and I also think he might still be working with Hart.
I'm not falling for it. I'm saying I'll be disappointed if it's him and they didn't do more to make it a mystery.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:02 PM

6,966 posts, read 4,807,617 times
Agreed. I'm not "falling for it", either. Just the way it's laid out makes me think and doubt and think some more.

Really good show.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I liked episode 5 pretty well. The first 3 were the best so far. I was obsessed and watched those 3 several times. Episode 4 really took the wind out of my sails, I just didn't care for it at all now I'm not quite as excited anymore.
Still think its great and Woody and MM are amazing together. But episode 4 and the direction they took just took it down some notches.
What didn't you like about episode 5? It was intense, had a six minute scene at the end with no breaks (nice touch) and showed us how easy it is for Cohle to go undercover and interact with hard criminals in order to solve the crime. Which makes me think that's what he's been doing from 2002 when he disappeared and reappeared in 2010. Suddenly he appears and Tuttle's dead?

About the six minute shot: Seitz on True Detective

Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
I don't really care how its shot. That's not why I watch. Obviously good film making enhances and allows the story to be felt more which TD has been great at with or without long shots and other techniques I know or care very little about. It felt indulgent to have such a long fight scene, like they had to have such a long fight scene just so he could show off or practice his long shots. Like the director, who said he was looking for a place in the script to do a long shot, did it because he wanted to, not that it needed to be done.
I thought it was too long and unrealistic (but then I'm not of the young gaming generation who seem to think that if a movie is at least half CGI blowing things up repetitively its not a good movie). At least 2 times I saw places where all the black dudes run right by him all looking extremely conventiently in the other direction. Right, big firefight in neighborhood and you don't have your head on a swivel? The two guys he fought off with the fancy roll over the back move.. IDK the whole thing just seemed a little stupid especially because going undercover seemed stupid to me. How about surveillance? How about a wire tap? How about checking to see if there was already someone undercover who could help? I assume that other undercover agents took Chole's place. Supposedly he spent two weeks working his way back undercover at GREAT RISK with only the slight possiblity of reward. Seems like plenty of time to do it another way where he didn't have to do mega amounts of drugs which oh by the way didn't affect him so much that he could still fight his way out of that neighborhood firefight? Whatever.
A lot of time spent on stuff that just seemed egregious.
I know everyone got all caught up in the oooo a long shot. So? I'm on more than one TD forum and there were less posts about episode 4 than any other. Cause the long shot was just about all there was to talk about. Is this some sort of directors film making class?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,105,948 times
I wonder if the falling out between woody and matthew was staged, so that Matthew could go back under cover to work the case. that's why he was "missing" for several years, and maybe his storage unit he refused to let the detectives see is full of evidence...

just a thought

Old 02-18-2014, 10:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
IDK the whole thing just seemed a little stupid especially because going undercover seemed stupid to me. How about surveillance? How about a wire tap? How about checking to see if there was already someone undercover who could help? I assume that other undercover agents took Chole's place. Supposedly he spent two weeks working his way back undercover at GREAT RISK with only the slight possiblity of reward. Seems like plenty of time to do it another way where he didn't have to do mega amounts of drugs which oh by the way didn't affect him so much that he could still fight his way out of that neighborhood firefight? Whatever.
His being an undercover cop has been a big part of the story and his character. It seems to me that everything has been building up to him going back undercover. After all, what was the point in giving us that background information about him if it wasn't gong to be relevant to the story later. I also agree it's very likely he is back undercover on his own now. That's the only explanation for him being in a photograph at a crime scene without being the killer himself.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
This show is so good, its starting to make me angry LOL.

Mconaughey is crushing his role, possible Emmy award.
I have got to admit you are right, but Woody is also giving an astounding performance, isn't he?

Old 02-18-2014, 11:24 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
What didn't you like about episode 5? It was intense, had a six minute scene at the end with no breaks (nice touch) and showed us how easy it is for Cohle to go undercover and interact with hard criminals in order to solve the crime. Which makes me think that's what he's been doing from 2002 when he disappeared and reappeared in 2010. Suddenly he appears and Tuttle's dead?

About the six minute shot: Seitz on True Detective
I was mesmorized...and believe you me, my heart was pounding, I could hear it....I don't ever remember a show ever making me feel that way, completely lost in this one.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:55 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,105,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I have got to admit you are right, but Woody is also giving an astounding performance, isn't he?
yup, he sure is.

I'm a tv junkie, especially premium channel shows, and True Detective is one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's right up there with Sopranos, Shameless, The Wire, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV