Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 AM

8,617 posts, read 10,146,663 times

Advertisements

Can't wait!! I'm looking forward to watching Meryl Davis and Charlie White in the Ice Dancing since they are perhaps our best chance at a gold medal in skating events. But it doesn't really matter to me who wins. I just enjoy watching all of the competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 03:22 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I enjoy the winter Olympics more than the summer although I'm sad Lindsey Vonn won't be competing.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:22 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
I really have very little interest in the winter Olympics. I am hoping, though, to see one or more competitors make a real issue of the bigoted anti-gay laws while they're there.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,793,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I really have very little interest in the winter Olympics. I am hoping, though, to see one or more competitors make a real issue of the bigoted anti-gay laws while they're there.

all the Olympians have spent most of their lives preparing for the competition and I feel they should be respectful of the countries they are visitors in. I'm sure not everyone agrees with all the U.S. represents; our country has serious issues.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
The problem is that there are so many great events, how does one choose which to watch.
That's easy: hockey, hockey and more hockey! Oh, and maybe some skiing and curling, too.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Same here, Im boycotting except when my feeds state a gay Olympian is competing. Ill inform in this thread when the ones who are already "out" are competing.
Bob Costas wants to speak to Putin about the issue during Olympics but some speculate Putin will decline.
I wonder if Rachael Madow will go
Canada wants a regular point of contact should one of its athletes be detained.

Out tennis player Billy Jean King and figure skater Brian Boitano at the games' opening ceremonies.
Two weeks later the US delegation will include out - speed skaters Bonnie Blair and Eric Heiden, as well as openly gay hockey player Caitlin Cahow.

For that I will watch, since they are about 12 hours ahead, my news feed will give me a heads up and I will drink Pepsi and avoid other sponsors.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
I had no idea about Bonnie Blair or Eric Heiden. I just enjoy Bonnie's midwestern accent.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:30 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times
I would bet that every country participating is going to have some gay and lesbian athletes, even if they're not 'out' yet. Russia is fooling itself if it thinks it can eradicate LGBT people in their country by making it illegal.

But, back to the games, there are some venues I don't like in the Winter games, and some I don't like in the Summer games, but on the whole, I like pretty much all of them. Winter, I love all the skating~~speed, dance, figure, all of it; not so big on the skiing, love the luge, for some odd reason~~curling, hockey, . Summer, I love gymnastics, swimming, diving, equestrian, but not so much the track and field. And I love the opening ceremonies, so I'm really looking forward to these games. I hope the athletes are safe. Russia's such a backward and forward country all at once, it's scary.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:17 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Will be interesting to see how NBC handles this. Sochi is 9 hours ahead of US Eastern Time, 12 hours for Pacific so its not ideal. Plus, they are always going to want to edit the major events to show what they want to in that 4 hour window between 8- midnight eastern, so I'm sure on the main NBC channel they will still be time shifting quite a bit. Only question is how much will run live on the other channels and what will they do with bottom line scrolls regarding results. We have a bar at home with multiple TVs so we will surely have some of the other channels up at the same time.

Also, they seem to be doing the phone and tablet apps different this time as they have a larger NBC sports app that seems like it will take over for the NBC Olympics app, as a special one has not appeared yet. I assume with the NBC Sports network in full swing they want to push us into using their app. Of course, last year, the Olympics App only became available a week or two prior and they had to update it every day due to multiple fails, so this could be better if it actually works.

Also, how much will the LGBT thing be an issue and will NBC cover it? They said something to the effect of that "they don't want to stick a fork in anyone's eye, but they will not shy away from covering a story"

I imagine they will have Sochi pretty well covered security-wise, even if they have to use brutal tactics to do it (like when the recent suicide bomber was found to be a woman and when the reports came out, they already said that her two ex husbands had been "eliminated" already.) Surrounding areas, however, may suffer as they will likely become easier targets than before.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:58 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Can't wait!! I'm looking forward to watching Meryl Davis and Charlie White in the Ice Dancing since they are perhaps our best chance at a gold medal in skating events. But it doesn't really matter to me who wins. I just enjoy watching all of the competition.
I love watching them, too! They look like a Disney prince and princess come to life, just lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV