U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-08-2014, 06:22 AM

18,571 posts, read 12,706,581 times
I thought they did a great job. It's not fair to compare to Beijing, since the Winter Olympics traditionally don't have the same level of spectacle for their opening ceremonies as the Summer Olympics do. Compared to Vancouver they did an impressive job. The idea is to pay tribute to a host country's history and culture, and I think they did that in a very colorful and imaginative way.

Favorite parts:

--The video introduction was stirring and gorgeous. Not sure if that's really part of the opening ceremony or considered part of the tv show, but whatever it was, it worked.
--Loved The War and Peace ballet sequence
--The onion dome cathedral balloons. I wish they had done a little bit more with them, but the idea was fun, and I liked how colorful that sequence was.
--The "Industrial Revolution" sequence with all the gears.
--The people marching through the maps and the ship--very effective use of projections.
--I rather liked the floating statues during the "Communist reign" sequence
--The video telling the story of the early settlers was interesting, especially because all the actors were apparently well known Russian celebrities. The bit raising the outpost wall was well done. I didn't get all the references and jokes since this video was intended for the Russian people, but it was obvious that people in the crowd got it, and appreciated it. And even though I was watching it "as an outsider" I found it interesting and I got most of the story.
--Parade of athletes. I thought they handled it well. One of the better ones I've seen, and the Russian entrance at the end was done well.
--Although I think the theme of the little girl floating through dream sequences was done a little too much, I'll give it a thumbs up because there were some cool moments with this idea. And that little girl was certainly brave to do those stunts.
--The speech. An English translation of a Russian speech written for the Russian people is bound to come out a bit quirky. I liked the quirks, though. "Our Olympics are hot because we have palm trees! Our Olympics are cool because we have snow!"
--The fireworks. Nicely done, and not overdone.

Not quite as good:

--The floating islands at the beginning. They obviously spent $$$$$ to create them, but they didn't really do much for me. And I didn't quite get the point of them. Here's an island with a cow. Here's an island with a hut and a dog. Ummm, ok. Maybe it looked cooler to people in the stadium.
--The people swirling around near the end while they played Swan Lake. The ones with the white tentacles (or were they ribbons?) Were they supposed to be jelly fish? The streamers were cool at first, but then it got boring.
--The Propaganda Train probably looked a lot more interesting to people in the stadium than it did on tv.
--The WWII sequence was, ummm, strange.
--The whole 20th century sequence had some good moments, but a lot of it had me rolling my eyes. Somehow I don't remember Soviet hipsters running around in bright outfits like that. And the car thing didn't seem all the Russian, either (even though it was a Russian car). Were they trying to claim they were like Americans during the 50s--and if so, why?
--Kinda wish they had done something much more spectacular to honor their achievements in space.

Last edited by Caladium; 02-08-2014 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-08-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I'm sorry there was an epic fail on the rings lighting, but I still enjoyed the tributes to the writers, musicians and history.
You know, a technical glitch like that doesn't hurt the production IMO. If anything it reminds you how tricky the whole production is. In an odd way it gave me a moment of awe because I was suddenly aware of how much was being done--and in a live show.

Unread 02-08-2014, 07:10 AM

7,959 posts, read 6,355,102 times
Whoever was in charge of the rings will be in a gulag very soon.

Unread 02-08-2014, 07:39 AM

1,990 posts, read 754,821 times
Recorded it last night so I could fast forward to the "actual" opening ceremonies. Good thing I did because the actual ceremonies didn't start for about an hour. I needed the commentary to understand the symbolism of the display. I did like the Swan Lake and the spinning ladies. Imagine my surprise when i went online this morning and discovered that NBC did not show all of the opening ceremonies' performances.

I did notice some of the Greek athletes were protesting via the rainbow gloves they were waiving. White gloves with each finger a different color. Was surprised by some of the nations competing in the winter olympics. Then it was explained that the athlete either went to school or was raised in America and allowed to compete for their home nation. Was pretty interesting to have Iran following Israel. I just hope these Olympics don't turn into another Munich. You have Israeli, American, and Russian athletes competing in an area close to a region that breeds Islamic terrorist. The muslim terrorist from Chechnya would love to target the Russians while all the other muslim terrorist would love to target the Americans and Israelis.

Unread 02-08-2014, 07:43 AM

11,588 posts, read 6,359,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I thought they did a great job. It's not fair to compare to Beijing, since the Winter Olympics traditionally don't have the same level of spectacle for their opening ceremonies as the Summer Olympics do. Compared to Vancouver they did an impressive job. The idea is to pay tribute to a host country's history and culture, and I think they did that in a very colorful and imaginative way.

Favorite parts:

--The video introduction was stirring and gorgeous. Not sure if that's really part of the opening ceremony or considered part of the tv show, but whatever it was, it worked.
--The onion dome cathedral balloons. I wish they had done a little bit more with them, but the idea was fun, and I liked how colorful that sequence was.
--The people marching through the maps and the ship--very effective use of projections.
--The video telling the story of the early settlers was interesting, especially because all the actors were apparently well known Russian celebrities. The bit raising the outpost wall was well done. I didn't get all the references and jokes since this video was intended for the Russian people, but it was obvious that people in the crowd got it, and appreciated it. And even though I was watching it "as an outsider" I found it interesting and I got most of the story.
--Parade of athletes. I thought they handled it well. One of the better ones I've seen, and the Russian entrance at the end was done well.
--Although I think the theme of the little girl floating through dream sequences was done a little too much, I'll give it a thumbs up because there were some cool moments with this idea. And that little girl was certainly brave to do those stunts.
--The speech. An English translation of a Russian speech written for the Russian people is bound to come out a bit quirky. I liked the quirks, though. "Our Olympics are hot because we have palm trees! Our Olympics are cool because we have snow!"

Not quite as good:

--The floating islands at the beginning. They obviously spent $$$$$ to create them, but they didn't really do much for me. And I didn't quite get the point of them. Here's an island with a cow. Here's an island with a hut and a dog. Ummm, ok. Maybe it looked cooler to people in the stadium.
--The people swirling around near the end while they played Swan Lake. The ones with the white tentacles (or were they ribbons?) Were they supposed to be jelly fish? The streamers were cool at first, but then it got boring.
--The Propaganda Train probably looked a lot more interesting to people in the stadium than it did on tv.
--The whole 20th century sequence had some good moments, but a lot of it had me rolling my eyes. Somehow I don't remember Soviet hipsters running around in bright outfits like that. And the car thing didn't seem all the Russian, either (even though it was a Russian car). Were they trying to claim they were like Americans during the 50s--and if so, why?
--Kinda wish they had done something much more spectacular to honor their achievements in space.
Wow, Caladium. What an exceptional synopsis.

I think the opening ceremonies were spectacular. It certainly presented the varied culture of the country to me. The propaganda train was scary in that I was taken back to the scenes in Dr. Z when Yuri was stopped and put on board the train (can't remember if it was the Whites or the Reds). I thought the islands sequence was clever in trying to show the vast size of Russia.

The music was so beautiful as was the ballet. I tend to forget that Russia has produced such magnificent composers, writers and dancers.

I do wish the announcers had not spoken over so much of it. The one who kept referring to Hungary and "Hungry" drove me to distraction. I know that is a minor thing but it still bothered me. I'm always happy to see our kids enjoying themselves. We are a bit boisterous, aren't we? I am looking forward to the events because the winter Olympics have always been my favorite. Let the games begin!

Unread 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM

4,754 posts, read 6,409,079 times
I enjoyed it more than Beijing, Vancouver, and London. The ballet really sealed it for me. Just so incredibly beautiful.

Unread 02-08-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

I do wish the announcers had not spoken over so much of it. The one who kept referring to Hungary and "Hungry" drove me to distraction. I know that is a minor thing but it still bothered me!
I totally agree. They were annoying. Some of the things they said were a bit snide, too. I watched to see the show and listen to the beautiful music, not them.

Unread 02-08-2014, 08:18 AM

5,127 posts, read 3,557,544 times
Those awful NBC announcers talking over the opening speeches telling us what the guy is saying when the guy is speaking in English! The self importance of those announcers amazes me. NO ONE wants to hear them. That said, still the opening ceremonies were awful. Putin sitting there scowling, oh yes Russian kids in the 50's dancing in brightly colored outfits? Always good to re-write history. And the twirling girls with the white tentacles? Where those supposed to be nuclear bombs?

Just awful.

Unread 02-08-2014, 08:39 AM

7,959 posts, read 6,355,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Those awful NBC announcers talking over the opening speeches telling us what the guy is saying when the guy is speaking in English! The self importance of those announcers amazes me. NO ONE wants to hear them. That said, still the opening ceremonies were awful. Putin sitting there scowling, oh yes Russian kids in the 50's dancing in brightly colored outfits? Always good to re-write history. And the twirling girls with the white tentacles? Where those supposed to be nuclear bombs?

Just awful.

Unread 02-08-2014, 10:00 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,673,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Favorite parts:

Not quite as good:

Boldfaced parts, could not agree more. I laughed at the "jellyfish" reference...that was my first thought too! At least it turned out to be beautiful,whatever it was. The ballet was lovely too.
I give props to all the volunteers who had to keep dancing for an hour! And that music during the parade of athletes was AWFUL!!! AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. I almost turned off the sound.
But most of it... meh. To be fair I didn't sit and watch every single moment so I may have missed some important intro or information. I guess Beijing will be the yardstick (fair or not) for decades to come and it wasn't even close. I don't remember one thing about Vancouver's OC. I will never forget all those Chinese drummers in perfect sync, and the "flying" torchlighter.

I did like the relative simplicity of lighting the torch -- nothing too Rube Goldberg-like! I used to live for the figure skating so it was nice to see Irina Rodnina as the final co-torch holder/lighter. Made me wonder where the Protopopovs were (though they may both be deceased...too lazy to look it up!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV