Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:39 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

I am!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times
As everything on every one of the 100+ channels on my Favorites list are re-runs, I guess I will.

Although --- MeTV IS showing The Return of the Man From U.N.C.L.E.!!!!!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Worst opening ceremony ever. I wish those stupid NBC announcers would shut up.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:04 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Worst opening ceremony ever. I wish those stupid NBC announcers would shut up.
They did on my TV I switched it opening was boring & the announcers did get on my nerves but doesn't take long for Matt Lauer to do that.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:16 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
I thought the Opening Ceremony was great. Loved the Imperial segment. Didn't care too much for the very beginning and the cartoonish cathedrals. But the ballet part was beautiful. I also could have done without Putin and his pouty face.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
The constant chattering and interruptions from the commercials were irritating. They couldn't even pronounce Borodin's name correctly. I was wondering if they would pay homage to 19th century music and dance and they didn't disappoint. The computer generated images probably looked spectacular in person, but did not show off well on my old television set. The worst was the santization of the 20th century Russian history. Pretty girls dancing in flared 50s skirts to rock and roll? Really? When did that happen in Russia? 1999? And showing off their dismal Russian made car which was a failure. They could have paid homage to some of their other great authors besides Tolstoy. How about Pushkin, Chekhov, Dostoyevsky? Putin's mistress was a toch bearer. How very French.

Unlike the Canadian and London ceremonies, the Russians take themselves too seriously.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:19 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I thought that one announcer who had lived in Russia was too emotional describing the historical events depicted by the opening ceremonies. They aren't supposed to be an in depth history lesson or a political statement. Just a brief description of how the scene shows the progress of the host country. A little history without commentary.

I tried to just focus on the great music of Borodin, Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky. Also on those beautiful ballets and amazing graphics. The horses, sea and sun were amazing as was the train.

Politics and chatty announcers aside, I really enjoyed the opening ceremonies.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I thought that one announcer who had lived in Russia was too emotional describing the historical events depicted by the opening ceremonies. They aren't supposed to be an in depth history lesson or a political statement. Just a brief description of how the scene shows the progress of the host country. A little history without commentary.

I tried to just focus on the great music of Borodin, Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky. Also on those beautiful ballets and amazing graphics. The horses, sea and sun were amazing as was the train.

Politics and chatty announcers aside, I really enjoyed the opening ceremonies.
I loved the opening ceremonies. The ballet, especially, was incredible. I'm sorry there was an epic fail on the rings lighting, but I still enjoyed the tributes to the writers, musicians and history.

My only complaint was that Matt Lauer was there.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 AM

12 posts, read 13,738 times
Yesterday the opening ceremony was really cool! My expectation about sochi were not that great, should have not underestimated them .

Old 02-08-2014, 06:12 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
Least-boring opening ceremonies I've seen in awhile! I expected to be bored to tears. I felt like it went surprisingly fast and kept me entertained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV