Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,328 times

Advertisements

I like the show Hawaii Life. I saw an episode last week where a couple from Colorado bought a shipping store on Oahu like the ones they had in CO (I'm guessing UPS store) and they sold their 6000 sq ft home and were looking for at least a 3BR/2BA with an ocean view and either close to or on the beach. They were shocked at how small the houses were in their budget compared to the mainland and ended up with a home on a hill with a sliver of an ocean view and about 1/4 the size of their old house. Their dreams of beachfront living (a la Florida), surfing every day and living in the islands ended up being a bungalow in the mountains.

Like the other HGTV shows, people buying on Hawaii want ocean front or ocean view, granite counters, lots of windows, updated kitchens with stainless steel everything, and all the other bells and whistles for what they'd pay on the mainland. They are visibly disappointed at first when they realize that a house in their budget is a couple of miles from the ocean with a mountain view at best, and is 1/3 the size of their old house with no yard. Why don't they do their homework before they sell the mainland house, so they know what to expect???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
the problem with Love it or lit it is there are too many of them in a row. 6 episodes are way too many.
That's what drives me crazy. They do the same thing where an entire night is devoted to House Hunters.

Bryan Baumler is the bomb! He is so funny, always quick with the wit.

Here's an ideal night of HGTV from 8-11 pm.

Why can't they do something like this:

Property Virgins 8pm
Property Brothers 8:30
Income Property 9:00
Kitchen Cousins 9:30
Holmes on Homes 10:00
Curb Appeal 10:30

Last edited by NYTom; 01-16-2014 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
What happened to Paul James, the garden guy? I really liked his shows.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Actually I'll admit that while I enjoy the show, the property brothers are very nice eye candy too. And a double treat. I love the way you could tell they are brothers even if they didn't say.
They're not just brothers -- they're identical twins.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM

113 posts, read 136,625 times
I'm a big fan of HG network shows. I love House Hunters, Property Brothers, Buying and Selling, Love it or List it. I also will watch Property Virgins but the home buyers annoy me the most on that show. They have $100,000 to spend and they want all the bells and whistles like granite, stainless steel, etc.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
They're not just brothers -- they're identical twins.
Yep, double the eye candy. And I like the show too, how they actually show what you might encounter on an extensive rehab.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
They need to come to my town.....
No kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
That's what drives me crazy. They do the same thing where an entire night is devoted to House Hunters.

Bryan Baumler is the bomb! He is so funny, always quick with the wit.

Here's an ideal night of HGTV from 8-11 pm.

Why can't they do something like this:

Property Virgins 8pm
Property Brothers 8:30
Income Property 9:00
Kitchen Cousins 9:30
Holmes on Homes 10:00
Curb Appeal 10:30
It drives me nuts that they only show Rehab Addict only once a week (twice on same night, but still!). That's an awesome show and I like how it's different from the other HGTV shows.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
House Hunters always gives a city location. Just saw one set in Reno and Carson City NV.
That being said, HH is a total fake. We just watch it for laughs now.
Um...ALL of their shows are fake. Love It or List It, Property Virgins, etc.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Love It or List It particularly annoys me. Hillary Farr always makes promises without checking feasibility in the slightest. By this time, she should know some of the risks.

Both she and Visintin are overly dramatic and pretty annoying. I'd fire them pretty quickly.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,403 times
Yes, House Hunters can be hilariously fake at times, but I get the sense that the show is "in on the joke" the way pro wrestling producers treat their viewers. "Yes, we fake a lot of it but nobody's really being hurt by this, so let's all just pretend it's real and have a fun time."

The show/feature that makes me laugh the most, however, are those "Dream Home" events where they construct this lavish home and conduct video tours, etc. with the intention to give it away in a drawing. It's hilarious on several levels. First of all, it's usually constructed in the middle of nowhere, or at least someplace that is off the beaten path. Sure, the views are great, but the person who wins the house will likely have to uproot their lives/careers to move there, and how are they going to commute to work every day when they live on the side of a cliff in the mountains? Even when they do the "urban oasis" places in a big city, it might not be possible for the winner to relocate with their job.

The place is invariably overdone to the extreme, like having the ability to put up eighteen people at once in various bedrooms and guest quarters, having three kitchens and two master suites, etc. There are enough décor items to furnish eight houses. Sometimes they do condominium-type places and entire exterior walls are nothing but glass, which would un-nerve anyone who might want to walk around the house in their underwear.

Worst of all, the person who wins these things typically isn't financially able to keep it. Between property taxes, utilities and upkeep (heating and cooling such a huge space), paying HOA dues in one of those swanky condo buildings, and/or the aforementioned problems with finding a job near the location of your new home, you're likely to end up having to sell the darn thing anyway. I think in recent years they have tried to remedy that by letting the winner take a cash equivalent on a lot of it, but what a lot of trouble (the IRS will love you) for something that's supposed to be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV