U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,624,202 times
Default HGTV Shows

My wife and I watch a lot of the house shows on HGTV like Property Brothers, Property Virgins, etc. The funny thing is we noticed they never give the location of where the houses are. They will say things like "the couple wants a home near the city" but they never actually say what "city" it is. My wife thinks it's because most of the shows are filmed in Canada and they don't want it to be offputting to US viewers. Just curious if anyone knows more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 PM

9,900 posts, read 10,927,367 times
I have not seen Property Brothers, but Love It Or List It and 2 are filmed in different parts of Canada. Property Virgins with Egypt is now filmed in the Atlanta area, but she has also filmed in the New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut areas. Sandra was mostly in Canada, but she did travel into the U.S. and filmed in Florida, Texas, and a few others.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 PM

9,800 posts, read 7,179,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I have not seen Property Brothers, but Love It Or List It and 2 are filmed in different parts of Canada. Property Virgins with Egypt is now filmed in the Atlanta area, but she has also filmed in the New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut areas. Sandra was mostly in Canada, but she did travel into the U.S. and filmed in Florida, Texas, and a few others.
I like Property Brothers, in that they are straight forward about the options, and quickly sink the buyers expectation of a mansion for the price of a two bedroom from the fifties. The renovatin parts are interesting, including stuff that was never done right from the start. Makes me glad the plumming and electric were stipped out when I got it, so I know its not 1930's plumming.

They do mention the location of the houses most of the time. A number have been in Los Angeles, and I could recognize the area in the San Fernando valley.

I don't mind the ones filmed in Canada. I do wish when it its a reno show and a code issue they'd say this is the code IN CANADA.

Love it or List it is getting to be too contrived, and I'd be looking for a different realator with him showing mostly stuff at or above budget.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:05 PM

2,883 posts, read 779,427 times
One thing you should also keep in mind is that the producers likely want to maintain a certain amount of anonymity for the folks who appear in their shows. They rarely give the last names of the prospective homeowners, they "fuzz out" the tag numbers on cars, and occasionally fuzz out the phone numbers of realty signs or nearby businesses. Though we see their homes, they don't explicitly say "X and Y live at 453 Oak Street" or give too much identifiable info about them. You never know if some psycho out there might decide to latch onto the people they see on TV, so keeping them relatively anonymous is a good idea. Frankly it bothers me sometimes when they allow the shows to take footage of their children, since many people draw the line at such things in this day and age.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 AM

12,136 posts, read 11,325,881 times
the problem with Love it or lit it is there are too many of them in a row. 6 episodes are way too many.

Property Virgins is by far the best. Sandra was the greatest, but Egypt is very likeable as well.

Propert bros, sorry, Im shallow, they are 2 ugly ass men.

I miss Bryan Brauer or soemthing, he had a dry sense on humor and liked him.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:14 PM

2,883 posts, read 779,427 times
Quote:
Bryan Baeumler (sp?) is the best. I could watch him all day (as long as they leave his annoying wife in another room).

His shows end up on HGTV's sister channel, DIY, more than HGTV.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:55 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,200,313 times
House Hunters always gives a city location. Just saw one set in Reno and Carson City NV.
That being said, HH is a total fake. We just watch it for laughs now.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:17 PM

9,800 posts, read 7,179,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
the problem with Love it or lit it is there are too many of them in a row. 6 episodes are way too many.

Property Virgins is by far the best. Sandra was the greatest, but Egypt is very likeable as well.

Propert bros, sorry, Im shallow, they are 2 ugly ass men.

Actually I'll admit that while I enjoy the show, the property brothers are very nice eye candy too. And a double treat. I love the way you could tell they are brothers even if they didn't say.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:07 PM

5,516 posts, read 6,202,524 times
The Property Brothers location changes each season. They're filming Atlanta for the upcoming season and the last season was in their hometown of Vancouver. Other seasons are Austin, San Antonio and Toronto. You can sorta tell by what locations they're at by the setting.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:31 AM

17,694 posts, read 16,899,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The Property Brothers location changes each season. They're filming Atlanta for the upcoming season and the last season was in their hometown of Vancouver. Other seasons are Austin, San Antonio and Toronto. You can sorta tell by what locations they're at by the setting.
They need to come to my town.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV