Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
If you really think about it...this is how many things in life work.

Fan bases ultimately decide which politicians get elected, which news anchors we watch on TV, which movies become blockbusters, which books become best sellers and on and on.

The most qualified candidate doesn't always get the job, the most effective sales person doesn't always get the promotion...also on and on.

That inspirational story, the charming personality, the feeling of a good fit can always outweigh the facts in decisions. It's just human nature.
I get all of that but this is portrayed as a competition. In any competition the number of fans has no bearing on anything (unless it is a competition to see who can get the most fans)

Full disclaimer: I completely get that reality shows arent completely real. DTWS seems to be getting more and more blatant about it.

And not to get all conspiracy theory about it, did anyone think ABC/Disney was going to let a Nickelodeon star (James Maslow) get farther than their own ABC/ABC Family darling (Candace)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 09:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
And not to get all conspiracy theory about it, did anyone think ABC/Disney was going to let a Nickelodeon star (James Maslow) get farther than their own ABC/ABC Family darling (Candace)?
Lol. You do realize you did get all conspiracy theory about it, don't you?

Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lol. You do realize you did get all conspiracy theory about it, don't you?
Well...yeah

Old 05-27-2014, 06:29 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Interesting video of Maks he finally found out his meaning with DWTS he took his eye off himself and realized it was about making the difference in his partner's lives. Hope he remembers that lesson and I am betting we see him in Len's chair next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaACE3HWrOc

Old 05-27-2014, 08:34 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,499 times
Nice find Jaxson It was interesting. I loved the little comment and scrunch-face he made at the very end.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Found it interesting to see news story yesterday that Cody Simpson graduated as Valedictorian of his class.....kudos to him!

I wonder if any of the students took issue with him not actually being 'in' class most of the time, yet being awarded the top achievement? Just a curious thought

Old 05-27-2014, 10:30 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Found it interesting to see news story yesterday that Cody Simpson graduated as Valedictorian of his class.....kudos to him!

I wonder if any of the students took issue with him not actually being 'in' class most of the time, yet being awarded the top achievement? Just a curious thought
I've wondered this, too, when I see situations like this. Depending on his situation, it may be a lot easier to get great grades when it's one-on-one teaching, can do things more on your own time, and the teacher/tutor is teaching towards your learning style. Would he have done so well if he was just one student out of 30 in a class, had to be to school by 7:30 am with a regimented schedule, and had to learn how the teacher teaches, instead of the teacher adapting to his learning style? But moreover, he's not really one of them - most of them probably don't know him on a personal level, and he probably doesn't know most of their names. I'm guessing it would feel like a stranger just swooped in and got top prize.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:28 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Good interview.

Dancing with the Stars' Maksim Chmerkovskiy: The Show Never Had a Couple Like Us - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

Quote:
Keep reading to see Chmerkovskiy speak at length about the win, those dating
rumors, his (sometimes rocky) tenure on the show, how he returned with a
different outlook, why he wants to apologize to fans, and if he's done with the
show for good.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:56 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Interesting video of Maks he finally found out his meaning with DWTS he took his eye off himself and realized it was about making the difference in his partner's lives. Hope he remembers that lesson and I am betting we see him in Len's chair next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaACE3HWrOc
I think he would add an interesting perspective as a judge but I wonder how controversial all his scoring would be seen considering his brother (Val) and BFF/business partner (Tony) are pros on the show.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:09 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Didn't want to be off topic so I started a thread on Mark Ballas in celebrities if any of you are interested if not OK too.

Mark Ballas from DWTS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV