Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2016, 12:03 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
I admit I tend to notice weird details in shows like this, but one thing I started to intentionally look for is the number of people on this show who sleep on bare mattresses. Or on top of bedspreads. Do they not own sheets that they can launder to get the stank off? I can only imagine the funk on those mattresses and bedspreads.
This is just another symptom of the lifestyles that got them fat. The same parent (s) who don't have a clue how cook healthy foods for their kids, also don't know how to make a bed, or see the importance of doing so.

In fairness, some of the subjects on the show have come from normal families, but that just makes their circumstances all the more puzzling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 04:39 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
I admit I tend to notice weird details in shows like this, but one thing I started to intentionally look for is the number of people on this show who sleep on bare mattresses. Or on top of bedspreads. Do they not own sheets that they can launder to get the stank off? I can only imagine the funk on those mattresses and bedspreads.
I agree...it's a good thing that with TV we can only see what's in there, not smell it....

Old 03-12-2016, 07:11 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is mind boggling, isn't it? It would seem to me that a person who starts to get a weird thing growing on their body would rush to the doctor to get it resolved before it weighs 80#. I guess it is the same thinking that makes the hoarders think that it's just fine to save your pee in a jar when the plumbing breaks.
There's no real resolution. Once you damage your lymph glands, there's no going back. I've seen this in women who have had lymph glands removed from breast cancer surgery. A lot of them end up wearing compression sleeves to prevent the build up to begin with. Knew one woman who had to spend at least two hours a day with her legs elevated to prevent lymphedema... which she didn't do, and ended up in the hospital.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
There is always so much wrong with the family dynamic. Nobody has ever cooked healthy food before, and nobody seems to have a clue what healthy food is. I think I said this before, but I'd like to see a show, in which they gave the family a full time cook, who taught the family members what to buy and how to cook. That is a show I would watch. Imagine learning to eat healthy, and delicious food, when you used to think McDonalds was delicious food.
Not only would I love to see that show, I'd love to be on that show! I often think about how much easier it would be to stay on a paleo diet if I had a cook. I feel so good on a paleo diet, but it is darn time consuming to make and shop for all the food. I end up shopping at 3 different stores/farmer's markets to get the ingredients, then there's all the chopping/prep, then the actual cooking, then the clean up. We literally spent 4 hours cooking yesterday to prepare for the week, and all that got us was breakfast for the week, that night's dinner and 2 lunches each. The food tastes way better than fast food though!

I wonder how much I'd have to win in the lottery to afford a personal chef...

As for 600 pound life, it is really sad how screwed up the families are. I think it's pretty clear that a dysfunctional family is the root cause (along with trauma caused by said dysfunctional family). It isn't just the 600 pound person who needs therapy on that show, their entire family could greatly benefit from it, IMO.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:27 AM

302 posts, read 580,410 times
Quote:
Good for you! Do you really have 11 children? If so, you are allowed to be cut some slack. I had 3, and the youngest is 33, so I have no excuse.

yup! 10 I gave birth to and one is my nephew that we got when he was seven. I only have 2 who are under 18 now.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:36 AM

302 posts, read 580,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Whenever someone gets over an addiction, they usually find another. Of my friends/co-workers who have had gastric bypass, almost all of them have either a drinking problem or a shopping problem. I can only think of one who doesn't fit in either category, and she had surgery about 6-7 months ago. Hopefully she won't succumb.

My daughter in law passed away 2 years ago from liver failure after a bypass ten years before. She subbed drinking and shopping for eating. Not only is it common to change addictions, but after gastric bypass the affect of the alcohol is so much worse.

The thing about the show that bugs me is that it seems the last resort is counseling. That should be the first thing that happens and should be continuous. Many of them have packed on the weight to hide from feelings. Unpacking that weight also leaves the feelings exposed.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:52 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
I am new to this thread. I have not watched the show, but have watched a few "Hoarders" episodes as well as some other shows that deal with the super obese.

I saw plenty of super obese home bound people when I was working as a home health aide. I had to go along to assist the visiting nurse, which, many of their patients were not even able to get out of bed.

I also have family members who are in the morbidly obese range, both sides of the family. I am the skinny one, having only ever got to 247 as my highest weight. That scared me into action. Sleep apnea, acid reflux, and other problems. I was that highest weight for 2 long weeks. Now, I am using myftnesspal site to keep tabs on my caloric daily intake, as well as my weight.

Now, I am at 182 and working to get off this plateau. I can understand that losing weight, making the correct food choices, is a focused mind trip. One needs to dedicated to the effort of losing weight, eating the right foods, getting up off of the couch and walking away from the tv, getting involved in activities that don't involve food.

I see the hoarder and overeater disorder going on in my family. There is no way to get their attention. They have to want to lose weight, or decide to part with their possessions...some of which should be tossed. The bug eaten magazines from the 80's, the ancient pillows they still put their heads on to sleep, their own unwillingness to attend to personal hygiene.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:00 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Moxie, I am so terribly, terribly sorry about the loss of your daughter.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:14 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Moxie, I am so terribly, terribly sorry about the loss of your daughter.
I am confused. I didn't say I had lost my daughter. Oh, post above mine...momof11.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:04 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I am confused. I didn't say I had lost my daughter. Oh, post above mine...momof11.
Oh, I'm really sorry about that. This forum is hard for me to read on my phone. I am sorry for your loss, momof11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV