Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 12:30 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I saw that Where Are They Now update with Melissa, too, and was surprised at her weight gain, as she'd been one of the success stories. She'd gotten down to 160, then ballooned to 290. And I noticed her acquiring that misshapen appearance again, with fat settling in odd places.

Again, it was the "cravings," as if they're some type of medical condition, and using feeding a bunch of kids as an excuse to overeat. And... no therapy for Melissa? I cannot imagine continuing to overeat after a gastric bypass being good for one's health.

I guess they're not kidding when they say only 5% have long-term success.
Sorry to see that Melissa was putting on weight, since she says it's because she's feeding kids all
day, well that won't stop. I see she had another baby with that husband she doesn't like...she didn't
trust him when she had Alana with him, then she had 2 more (plus the niece and nephew are living
there) I sure wouldn't have wanted to have my 3 kids with my husband if we didn't get along well.
Anyway she finally says something about it not working out with him in the last episode so I hope
the best for her in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 01:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Sorry to see that Melissa was putting on weight, since she says it's because she's feeding kids all
day
, well that won't stop. I see she had another baby with that husband she doesn't like...she didn't
trust him when she had Alana with him, then she had 2 more (plus the niece and nephew are living
there) I sure wouldn't have wanted to have my 3 kids with my husband if we didn't get along well.
Anyway she finally says something about it not working out with him in the last episode so I hope
the best for her in the future.
Does she really want to be feeding the kids all day long? Aren't they going to wind up with weight issues too?

NO child over the age of infancy absolutely must eat 5+ times a day (on top of "deserts" after every meal, NO lunch could possibly exclude a Snack Pack pudding or whatever, and of course after dinner or everybody might just drop dead)...IMO. I find this whole "constant snacking" trend to be a huge (no pun intended) part of child obesity issues now. We are all terrified that Little Savvanuagh will faint dead away because it's been 90 minutes since she stuffed her face. No she won't, LOL, unless she's six weeks old.

In the 70s and 80s we ate 3 meals a day, snacks would "ruin our appetites," snackers were basically the kids who had a VERY physical extracurricular activity after school. And amazingly, we didn't die...or have weight problems...go figure.

Back to Melissa. Now if she's talking about wanting to eat all day because of the new infant, who IS I'm assuming eating multiple times a day (because he's an infant!!), I'm assuming he's just on breast milk or formula, correct? I don't know about the rest of you, but smelling gross formula never made me starving and wanting to go running for the fridge. Nor did mashed peas on a plastic spoon. I'm not buying it, either way...whether she means the infant or the older kids.

These are excuses and just as Melissa is trying to be healthier, the kids should be healthier too and their own eating habits changed to positive ones...shouldn't they?

I get that that can be difficult and that kids will whine for what they want BUT they will also eventually figure out that a new rule is a new rule IF you stick with it. Is it hard? Yes. Having kids IS hard. Nobody said it wouldn't be. This just...arghhhhhh. I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind right now for thinking about this stuff. I am not being generous or sensitive at all. Sorry guys.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:50 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
(my underlining above) Do you suppose that's because of the "skin removal" surgeries? I can't imagine that's the typical way a person would gain weight. The "skin" removal always seems to be a lot more than just skin. Is that why the odd disposition of fat when a regain happens following these surgeries?

I have to say, that's an interesting possibility, and one I hadn't thought of. That could be yet another downside to piling on weight after these surgeries.

And regarding Ashley, I was happy to see her mom finally come around. I posted about her after her initial episode aired. It was especially sad how she lost her dad, who'd been her rock. Then to see her mom (who's not exactly slim) make fun of the poor kid and in public, no less, was very sad.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:41 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

I have to say, that's an interesting possibility, and one I hadn't thought of. That could be yet another downside to piling on weight after these surgeries.

And regarding Ashley, I was happy to see her mom finally come around. I posted about her after her initial episode aired. It was especially sad how she lost her dad, who'd been her rock. Then to see her mom (who's not exactly slim) make fun of the poor kid and in public, no less, was very sad.
I felt bad for Ashley. Seriously, where does her mom get off saying anything about anyone's weight? She's obese herself! Clearly her mom has self esteem issues and it makes her feel better to cut others down. She's an ass.

As for Melissa, I think it's interesting that she doesn't think her kids could or should eat the same diet as her. Why not? I see zero reason her kids couldn't also eat cottage cheese over biscuits. If she doesn't want the kids to be that low carb then give them some fruit. But, white bread/pasta/whatever is not essential for anyone and isn't exactly healthy for anyone. Just because the kids don't have weight issues yet does not mean they are in optimal health. From what I saw those kids don't get much protein at all.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:23 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I felt bad for Ashley. Seriously, where does her mom get off saying anything about anyone's weight? She's obese herself! Clearly her mom has self esteem issues and it makes her feel better to cut others down. She's an ass.

As for Melissa, I think it's interesting that she doesn't think her kids could or should eat the same diet as her. Why not? I see zero reason her kids couldn't also eat cottage cheese over biscuits. If she doesn't want the kids to be that low carb then give them some fruit. But, white bread/pasta/whatever is not essential for anyone and isn't exactly healthy for anyone. Just because the kids don't have weight issues yet does not mean they are in optimal health. From what I saw those kids don't get much protein at all.
I believe Ashley's mother had WLS too. At that point, magically, she turned from bursting out laughing in Ashley's post-surgery face about how she (Mom) was going to eat TONS of great food on Thanksgiving, to suddenly being sensitive...well, sort of. Took you long enough, Mom. I should be more generous than this but that woman was a monster to her child. Literally a monster. Now that it's happening to her, oh gee, compassion. I guess better late than never...too late not to have done serious damage to Ashley, though. That girl never smiles. It is so awful to see. When she forces it she smiles with her mouth and not her eyes. That girl is so destroyed.

When I watched the Ashley update I had my fingers crossed the entire time. That poor poor girl, she deserves happiness. At least some happiness. I wish Dr. Now would reconsider his position on not doing the leg surgery yet. She's 11 years post-op and still seriously struggling...maybe that would be a boost for her. How much longer does Dr. Now intend to make her wait? I guess forever.

I am still pulling for Ashley. Even all these years later.

Ashley, you deserve to find your smile.

Re: Yes, why doesn't Melissa feed her children reasonable quantities of minimally processed foods? Would that kill them? Would they wind up hospitalized for eating appropriate amounts of whole foods or something? Why do I doubt that...My husband and I have been revamping our diet lately. Even if you eat the appropriate amount of calories and get exercise (we both walk all the time and I work out), it never hurts to get those calories as minimally processed ones, whole ones. Our kids' diet has changed too along with our changes. It's not like they were having Kit Kats and Mountain Dew for breakfast or anything but we started thinking: this is crazy. How many "treats" a day could any child need? The kids are NOT suffering. They're healthy as ever and happy and active. They don't miss a thing and they're never really "hungry", as in, deprived.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 AM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I believe Ashley's mother had WLS too. At that point, magically, she turned from bursting out laughing in Ashley's post-surgery face about how she (Mom) was going to eat TONS of great food on Thanksgiving, to suddenly being sensitive...well, sort of. Took you long enough, Mom. I should be more generous than this but that woman was a monster to her child. Literally a monster. Now that it's happening to her, oh gee, compassion. I guess better late than never...too late not to have done serious damage to Ashley, though. That girl never smiles. It is so awful to see. When she forces it she smiles with her mouth and not her eyes. That girl is so destroyed.

When I watched the Ashley update I had my fingers crossed the entire time. That poor poor girl, she deserves happiness. At least some happiness. I wish Dr. Now would reconsider his position on not doing the leg surgery yet. She's 11 years post-op and still seriously struggling...maybe that would be a boost for her. How much longer does Dr. Now intend to make her wait? I guess forever.

I am still pulling for Ashley. Even all these years later.

Ashley, you deserve to find your smile.

Re: Yes, why doesn't Melissa feed her children reasonable quantities of minimally processed foods? Would that kill them? Would they wind up hospitalized for eating appropriate amounts of whole foods or something? Why do I doubt that...My husband and I have been revamping our diet lately. Even if you eat the appropriate amount of calories and get exercise (we both walk all the time and I work out), it never hurts to get those calories as minimally processed ones, whole ones. Our kids' diet has changed too along with our changes. It's not like they were having Kit Kats and Mountain Dew for breakfast or anything but we started thinking: this is crazy. How many "treats" a day could any child need? The kids are NOT suffering. They're healthy as ever and happy and active. They don't miss a thing and they're never really "hungry", as in, deprived.
I agree with you...first, I was telling my husband that it seems Ashley never smiled much, she must
feel very bad, physically or emotionally, or both.

Also, Melissa needs to feed her kids healthy as well as herself. I still think part of her problem is
not getting whatever support she needs from her husband.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:02 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I agree with you...first, I was telling my husband that it seems Ashley never smiled much, she must
feel very bad, physically or emotionally, or both.

Also, Melissa needs to feed her kids healthy as well as herself. I still think part of her problem is
not getting whatever support she needs from her husband.
Yeah, Melissa's husband seems pretty worthless. He has issues, definitely. It almost seems like Melissa thinks eating healthy is a punishment or something though. Her kids should be eating what she eats. I don't understand what she could be thinking when she eats one way for her health, yet feeds her kids a completely different diet. How does that compute? If it's healthy for her, why wouldn't it be healthy for her kids too? I saw way too much processed food in that house.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post

And that's interesting, too, about Melissa's food choices for the kids because, if you remember, when she had her first baby , she held her up in the hospital and cooed No fast food for you! She also noted, when her daughter was about 2, that she appeared to "have the genes" for putting on weight, remarking on her "build."

Regardless, it's clear that these people have deep-seated food issues that they're passing on to their kids. And Melissa's husband appears to have packed on the pounds since we last saw him.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:15 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,383 times
I enjoyed the updates on Olivia and Zsalynn last night. I hope they'll continue to update the patients beyond the first year.

I was recently diagnosed with a neuropathy that affects the GI tract. They have me eating 6 SMALL meals/snacks per day, and none of them can be larger than the palm of my hand. Let me tell you, it is HARD to stick to that when the rest of the household isn't doing that. (And I certainly don't expect them to eat like I do.) I slipped the other day, because I was thrown off guard and didn't have a chance to plan. I didn't follow the "every 3 hours" guideline, and broke down and ate a grilled chicken sandwich from a fast-food place. I was doubled over in pain within minutes. Now that I remember what will happen if I deviate from my diet, it makes me less likely to "cheat". As someone who loves to eat, it's very difficult to pass up my favorites. I love fresh veggies, but there are only so many I can have, and only 1/2 cup at a time. I could eat my entire weight in yellow squash, spinach, cantaloupe, etc. But those days are gone. I can't help but think of these patients when I get frustrated.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:07 PM

Another update last night:

"Susan" was finally able to wear jeans again, after having those terrible lymphedema growths removed.

"Bettie Jo" has lost some weight but remains morbidly obese. In addition, she has to have a bone growth removed, which may present another problem because, yes, Bettie Jo is now pregnant. Why get a job when you can continue to be "disabled?" She collects a check, her husband gets one and, now, they'll be pulling a check for the baby. The irresponsible behavior of some of these people is unbelievable.

Last week was bad enough, with ZsaLynn blaming her ex for her problems--when she's not blaming Dr. Now for "seeing her as a number." Having gained weight (now at almost 300 pounds), she wants skin surgery (that'll get rid of 50 pounds without changing her diet). While Dr. Now tells the cameraman in the hall how proud he is of her years-long journey, ZsaLynn is rolling her eyes in the waiting room , having just told him that another doctor will perform the skin-removal surgery. That doctor, BTW, was also a "numbers guy" because ZsaLynn was weighed there, her vitats were recorded (and monitored during surgery), and the excised skin was weighed. But I guess that was okay. She's now seeing a therapist, which I think is a good idea. Now it's all about lingerie and dating for ZsaLynn, a stark contrast with....

Olivia, who's plunged right into her culinary career and is now employed. Olivia, too, hit a rough patch when she started to gain weight again, and got defensive about it when Dr. Now brought it up. He was right, though. Olivia also needed leg surgery, and the dictor was concerned about weight gain during her recuperation. Her sister helped her to see that Dr. Now's concerns were valid, and Olivia got right back on track, and down to 170. Her leg (if you remember how bad it was) is much improved, she looks great, is committed to healthy eating, and loves her job.

Some of these stories are very inspirational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV