Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times

Advertisements

While the time I have spent this winter in SC has sucked weather-wise, it is nothing like the winters I spent in NJ for most of my life. And while the ice storm that came through in the past couple days was bad inland, it was not too bad here in the Myrtle Beach area. However it essentially shut down the state for the past couple days. Whatever.

Anyway last night I watch the CBS Beatles special (8:30 - 11:00 pm) which I had missed Sunday. But the whole evening they broadcast weather maps and closing information over the screen. The whole night! Why. If I want to check the weather conditions I'll change to the weather channel. If I want (or need) to know about closings, I'll switch to the local channel. I don't want that crap all over my screen (the CBS logo is bad enough).

Sure, if a tornado is baring down on me, I would not mind a warning (although I get them on my cell phone too). But to ruin my watching to tell me about weather I am well aware of and closing I don't care about (and could easily find out about elsewhere) is plane stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
While the time I have spent this winter in SC has sucked weather-wise, it is nothing like the winters I spent in NJ for most of my life. And while the ice storm that came through in the past couple days was bad inland, it was not too bad here in the Myrtle Beach area. However it essentially shut down the state for the past couple days. Whatever.

Anyway last night I watch the CBS Beatles special (8:30 - 11:00 pm) which I had missed Sunday. But the whole evening they broadcast weather maps and closing information over the screen. The whole night! Why. If I want to check the weather conditions I'll change to the weather channel. If I want (or need) to know about closings, I'll switch to the local channel. I don't want that crap all over my screen (the CBS logo is bad enough).

Sure, if a tornado is baring down on me, I would not mind a warning (although I get them on my cell phone too). But to ruin my watching to tell me about weather I am well aware of and closing I don't care about (and could easily find out about elsewhere) is plane stupid.
If people don't have cable, then they don't have a weather channel to change to. Or even if they do, the weather channel is national, so might not have the information people want for their particular area. And while the area you are in might not have been as bad where you lived, I'm sure it was for others in your station's viewing area. Sorry its not all about you, but the closings and weather updates are important to a lot of people during bad weather. But funny how you even admit to if it was weather that directly affected you, then you would want the information. Just be glad that they continued to play what you wanted to watch and didn't interrupt the broadcast.

And what local channel are you talking about? Whichever one you are not watching at the time?

Old 02-13-2014, 12:41 PM

Alerts are fine. But graphics of the same information and scroll bars of repeating information for the whole evening?

Yes it is all about me! I pay dearly for my TV viewing and I don't like graphics plastered all over the screen!

Old 02-13-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Alerts are fine. But graphics of the same information and scroll bars of repeating information for the whole evening?

Yes it is all about me! I pay dearly for my TV viewing and I don't like graphics plastered all over the screen!
But the alerts really don't tell people much. Okay so there is a winter weather warning for Chesterfield county. That doesn't tell me much about when it is going to start, how long it is going to last, when the heaviest snow fall is going to be, or if/when I can expect the ice to start. That is why the radar graphic is also there. Its much better to just have that on the bottom of the screen then them interrupting the program to tell people the latest weather information. Its important information to others, but they still want YOU to be able to watch your precious show.

Sorry its not all about you. You are not the only one who pays to watch tv. Others do as well, and they have just as much of a right to know the latest weather information in their part of the viewing area as you do when a major storm is impacting your life.

That is just how it is when you watch NBC, FOX, ABC, CW and CBS during bad weather. Don't like the graphics and information scrolling at the bottom of the screen? To bad. Change the channel. If you are paying for tv, then you have hundreds of other channels to choose from.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:31 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Because it's what tv weathermen live for that's why. A chance to show off their new gizmos. Anyway if they didn't show all that stuff, and someone stubbed their toe on a snowflake, then the station would be sued for negligence.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:

Well if it is a channel that can be viewed for free without cable (meaning over the air with a simple antenna), then you can't say really that you are paying to watch it.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:39 PM

872 posts, read 827,520 times
Quote:

You said it was CBS, that would be a 'free' channel.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Because it's what tv weathermen live for that's why. A chance to show off their new gizmos. Anyway if they didn't show all that stuff, and someone stubbed their toe on a snowflake, then the station would be sued for negligence.

This wasn't just a snowflake falling though. This was a pretty major winter storm for the Southern states. Its not unreasonable to think that the local news stations would cover the storm.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
This wasn't just a snowflake falling though. This was a pretty major winter storm for the Southern states. Its not unreasonable to think that the local news stations would cover the storm.
Yeah well that is why I watch (and check) the news. To get that information. I don't need the information on every channel, especially when it covers things on the screen I want to see.

I also can't stand the pop-up adds that advertise another show or whatever.

It is the same concept of why I have a pop-up blocker on my internet browser.......

Old 02-14-2014, 02:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
We get major weather here, of any kind, and you get bits of show and lots of reports. And in the corner of the screen is a little map of counties with colors indicating what's going on. But the stations tend to know that people won't complain since the weather info matters to someone, and reshow the major ones when the storm or whatever is over.

Here the stations cover the whole state, so if you live in the north central part and the far southern part is being hit by a dangeours storm, you get the reports. But while I'm still not and never will be 'comfortable' with the spring storms and possible tornados, its much much better that all the stations abandone programming and just do reports so you don't feel so left alone. And when we have 'weather emergencies' I'd feel insufficently forwarned without them.

What is annoying is when its a very localized thing, but when they stations cover the state they can't selectively pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV