U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2014, 02:57 PM

3,861 posts, read 2,114,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I watched the other night because James Spader was on. It was okay. I didn't find Mr. Fallon offensive or anything, and he did a serviceable job, but, kind of flat, which was the same issue I had with Mr. Leno.
If I am going to take the time to watch one of these shows, there has to be more entertainment value like Craig Ferguson and the puppets or something like that.
Of course, it could just be that when it comes to "chat" shows, my heart belongs to Graham Norton.
I used to LOVE Craig's puppets, but got tired of not being able to hear what the joke was because of the bleeping. LOL
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 03:21 PM
PDD

5,942 posts, read 6,221,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

One thing's for sure....Fallon doesn't belong in the same discussion with these guys and never will.
When Ashnton Kutcher took over 2 1/2 men from Charlie what's his name people were saying the same thing.

Fallon will carry on just fine. Johnny Carson was no super star when he took over the tonight show but the audience warmed up to him and then he became a great host.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:55 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,853,926 times
it's time for CBS to pull the plug on old man letterman and either promote Craig Ferguson or get somebody new with more energy. Letterman's lost it and there's no going back.

the time is now for them before Fallon mysteriously gets more traction. Still can't see the humor in him. Saw the BIlly Joel "do wop" thing.

Cute. But not really entertaining or funny. It's nice Fallon is into music but watching him indulge his musical fantasies isn't really entertaining of funny, which is why I tune into late night t.v.

It's kind of like Letterman of the last 10 years, something happened where the show started booking more serious guests and occasionally having these serious discussions. All fine and dandy and that type of t.v. is seldom seen and there probably should be more of it on , but not Late Night. That's where I come to laugh.

I remember when NBC showed a musical special and tribute to raise funds for Hurricane Sandy? that effected the east coast. Big shots were on including Bruce Springsteen singing a ballad. But b/c it was NBC and they're the most insular, jingoistic, self-promoting, corny network out there they had music lover Jimmy Fallon actually come out there and sing with the Boss. He was so enthralled with the opportunity he barely could wipe the smirk off his face.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:01 PM

13,621 posts, read 8,203,419 times
I enjoyed that concert immensely and even donated money to the Sandy relief because of it.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:54 PM

4,081 posts, read 2,286,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
When Ashnton Kutcher took over 2 1/2 men from Charlie what's his name people were saying the same thing.

Fallon will carry on just fine. Johnny Carson was no super star when he took over the tonight show but the audience warmed up to him and then he became a great host.
Which is about like saying Mike Singletary will carry on just fine as 49ers head coach because Bill Walsh did.

If there is to be any hope left for our culture, Fallon will be gone in two years. Maybe - and hopefully - a lot sooner. The show is simply awful. But this early in the game, kids are tuning in en-mass for the same reason kids do everything else....to emulate the hip and trendy crowd in the latest fad.

I read this earlier....

NBC Threatening Celebrities -- It's Jimmy Fallon or the Highway | TMZ.com

If true, NBC is soon going to have another MSNBC on their hands and will fully deserve it. Talk about a perfect plan to obliterate their network's fortunes and credibility.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
it's time for CBS to pull the plug on old man letterman and either promote Craig Ferguson or get somebody new with more energy. Letterman's lost it and there's no going back.
Letterman's already said he doesn't want to retire till people tune in and say "Well, that's just sad." LOL He slowed down a lot after his son was born. He said before that everything in his life was about the show. He used to work 20 hour days, always going, always working, then he got old and had a son and had to cut back.

SNL isn't funny anymore. I don't know why they think their players will be funny on talk shows if they can't be funny in skits. And I'm tired of seeing SNL people all over the place.

I don't even stay up for late nite TV anymore. I used to stay up for Dave's top 10 list until I realized I knew what 90% of them were gonna be. I enjoyed Craig till he got that skeleton sidekick. It has too big of a role for my taste. So I just turn off the TV after the late night news and go to sleep.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:45 PM
FBJ

35,122 posts, read 24,335,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Letterman's already said he doesn't want to retire till people tune in and say "Well, that's just sad." LOL He slowed down a lot after his son was born. He said before that everything in his life was about the show. He used to work 20 hour days, always going, always working, then he got old and had a son and had to cut back.

SNL isn't funny anymore. I don't know why they think their players will be funny on talk shows if they can't be funny in skits. And I'm tired of seeing SNL people all over the place.

I don't even stay up for late nite TV anymore. I used to stay up for Dave's top 10 list until I realized I knew what 90% of them were gonna be. I enjoyed Craig till he got that skeleton sidekick. It has too big of a role for my taste. So I just turn off the TV after the late night news and go to sleep.

Me too, at 11:35pm now I turn to Sportscenter on ESPN or just go back on the web

Next month I will be able to watch Three's Company at 12am on Antenna TV

Old 03-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:

I hadn't heard that, but that's classic Letterman and what he's good at. Unfortunately, there are too few of those moments any more.

I wish him well, but his show just can't hold my interest these days. The other day I saw an outrageously misguided promo spot for Letterman's show on CBS with a string of 1-2 second clips of Fallon-like stupidity....the likes of which you never see on Letterman - or didn't used to anyway. CBS sinking to a new low in an attempt to lure the fast-growing and lucrative idiot market. Well, that's just sad.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I hadn't heard that, but that's classic Letterman and what he's good at. Unfortunately, there are too few of those moments any more.

I wish him well, but his show just can't hold my interest these days. The other day I saw an outrageously misguided promo spot for Letterman's show on CBS with a string of 1-2 second clips of Fallon-like stupidity....the likes of which you never see on Letterman - or didn't used to anyway. CBS sinking to a new low in an attempt to lure the fast-growing and lucrative idiot market. Well, that's just sad.
I had the feeling he'd have been gone a while back if Leno had quit for good the first time. I expect him to wait till it's not obvious that he was waiting for Leno to give up first, then announce his retirement.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I had the feeling he'd have been gone a while back if Leno had quit for good the first time. I expect him to wait till it's not obvious that he was waiting for Leno to give up first, then announce his retirement.
Could well be.

And if that were to happen, I'd like nothing more than to see Leno sign with CBS, come back, and punish NBC. He would wipe the floor with Fallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV