Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,197,824 times

Advertisements

Chuckle Head! I saw five minutes the other night as I was too tired to locate the channel remote. I have never found him funny, even on SNL when he did the fake news, he is just a chuckle head, his success is puzzling to me. Conan ftw!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:59 AM

2,494 posts, read 2,048,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Still miss Jay. Only like Jimmy Fallon's thank you notes.
Yep. Those t.y. notes are the best! Otherwise I'll watch Jimmy Kimmel now. I've found him to be much funnier.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,781,223 times
Cancel all late night talk shows.

Bring back the Late Movie.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:17 PM

509 posts, read 1,258,113 times
I like him to the point that I was lucky enough to see him at his pre-show rehersal. Nice guy. And the interview with Nicole Kidman was hilarious!

Old 01-24-2015, 01:31 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,221,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I'm really missing Craig Ferguson, he was by far my favorite of them all!!
Me, too! He is very funny, even when he is silly. There's something about him that just makes you feel a little better about yourself.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,329,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Cancel all late night talk shows.

Bring back the Late Movie.
I'll vote for that as well. Although I did like Craig Ferguson. He was best interviewer for me because his talks always seemed like conversations with his guests rather than rehearsed chatter or plugs for the latest projects the guests were trying to sell. Some of those shows looked like one long commercial.

Watching Ferguson interact with his guests was fun. Sometimes it was interesting sometimes it didn't quite hit the mark but it never seemed phoney like the others.

That having been said, I rarely watch late night talk shows, only when a really favorite person is going to be on as a guest. So I am probably not the best judge of these shows.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:42 PM

11,563 posts, read 12,581,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I'll vote for that as well. Although I did like Craig Ferguson. He was best interviewer for me because his talks always seemed like conversations with his guests rather than rehearsed chatter or plugs for the latest projects the guests were trying to sell. Some of those shows looked like one long commercial.

Watching Ferguson interact with his guests was fun. Sometimes it was interesting sometimes it didn't quite hit the mark but it never seemed phoney like the others.

That having been said, I rarely watch late night talk shows, only when a really favorite person is going to be on as a guest. So I am probably not the best judge of these shows.
Agreed

I like Jimmy Fallon, but I think the writing on The Tonight Show has declined dramatically since the beginning when they were trying hard to make the show successful. JImmy is very talented, but I dont' think he is a good interviewer and the material lately, is not that good. It will be interesting to see what happens when Steve Colbert takes over David Letterman's slot. I really don't care for either Jay Leno's or Jimmy Fallon's house band. I miss when The NBC Orchestra with Doc Severinsen would be allowed to do a complete musical number, not just for the studio audience during a commericial break. Sometimes, Doc or Tommy Newsom did a complete solo with the orchestra accompanying them. I guess there was more time to feature the house musicians when the show was 90 minutes.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,322,426 times
I think Fallon is silly not stupid.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
I feel the same. I don't like the silly games he plays with his guests.
I wouldn't mind the games if he didn't always have to win. He's like a child who will cheat if his team falls behind, he taunts his opponents, and when he wins he jumps up and down like he won an Olympic medal. Apparently no one has ever explained to him that hosts are supposed to be polite to the guests. I'm not saying he has to let them win, but he clearly always has an unfair advantage since it's a game his staff made up. I'm to the point where I turn it off when he starts one of his games.

I'm also not crazy about his outsized professions of love for his guests. Everyone who comes on is "the greatest," someone he just "loves so so much," a "dear, dear friend," a "friend of the show," etc., etc. I thought the show was a definite improvement over Leno when it came on (and I still think that) but I'm over it now. The Roots are the best thing he has going for him. Amazing band.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 PM

37,460 posts, read 45,666,657 times
Carson was king, but Fallon comes closer than anyone else ever has. He does a great job with the physical comedy and sketches, very similar to Carson. Leno sucked, so I am glad that they found a truly funny guy to replace him, and to try and carry on the show in Carson fashion.

I love the games, and the lip syncing contests are pure genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV