Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:08 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,304,334 times

Advertisements

Mute the tv or turn the channel is what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 02:04 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,901,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
What they ^ said, after looking at the cost of DVR's, it's just simpler more cost and time effective for chepo me to not worry over it. I'm thinking I might even work in an exercise routine for some of those empty minutes in the near future, I've done so in past.

it's no way I am giving Comcast anymore of my money. $9.95 for something I can do myself on my DVD recorder

Old 03-02-2014, 02:20 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,179,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
How do you survive the commercials?
It is getting so ridiculous, they are taking up more and more time in a show that I have vowed never to buy anything that most are advertising. It is even getting to the point of getting angry to have to stop and fast forward!
At this time I can still afford to pay for the DVR to record but when the day comes that I can't, I really wonder how a person can survive sitting through endless commercials or will we be forced to just quit watching TV?
I remember when there would be a few commercials then back to the show but now they are bordering on torture!
I really feel like writing to the networks to say I will never buy anything you are advertising because you are driving me crazy with your endless commercials.
Sorry for the rant but really want to know how to survive them without a DVR.
I don't watch a whole great deal of TV anymore. When I do watch something, I survive the commercials by using the restroom, fetching myself another drink, or doing something else.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:55 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,153,889 times
What I can't stand about commercials is how sometimes for certain ones the volume suddenly gets so loud on them. I feel like I'm being yelled at.

Years ago I was watching TV with my cousin, and she said, "I hate commercials". I was about 10 at the time and didn't understand why she said that. Now I do.

We have a DVR; it's worth the expense to me because I do enjoy a lot of TV shows and commercials do drive me nuts. Mainly because of the sound.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:03 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
What I can't stand about commercials is how sometimes for certain ones the volume suddenly gets so loud on them. I feel like I'm being yelled at.

Years ago I was watching TV with my cousin, and she said, "I hate commercials". I was about 10 at the time and didn't understand why she said that. Now I do.

We have a DVR; it's worth the expense to me because I do enjoy a lot of TV shows and commercials do drive me nuts. Mainly because of the sound.

The singing commercials bother me the most

Old 03-02-2014, 03:04 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,141,393 times
I have to admit that I did like that Zamboni commercial during the Olympics. I thought it was clever, and I did use it for its intended purpose, a bathroom break, at least after watching it the first time.

It was such a generous gesture from Charmin. #TweetFromTheSeat

Old 03-02-2014, 03:11 PM

8,054 posts, read 4,727,029 times
I've always had my computer out when I'm watching TV, so my attention is divided most of the time. The commercials don't bother me unless Comcast has one of their weird hiccups where they play the exact same commercial three or four times in a row.

Encore Classic has started airing reruns of Murphy Brown and Night Court in the evenings, and they air the episodes without commercial breaks. The episodes end about :23 minutes after they begin, and Encore will fill up that seven minutes with promos for their other shows. I thought it would be great to see the shows minus commercials, but I find myself missing bits and pieces as I have to do chores, etc. and I actually wish they'd put in at least one commercial break s I can go to the potty.

I also would never buy a DVR because there aren't enough shows I go out of my way to see. I used to wear out a VCR every few years back in the 1980s/1990s, but now? If I miss it, no big whoop.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:19 PM
FBJ

I thought everyone watched TV with their computer next to them which means you go online during commercials

Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,642,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
I have to admit that I did like that Zamboni commercial during the Olympics. I thought it was clever, and I did use it for its intended purpose, a bathroom break, at least after watching it the first time.

It was such a generous gesture from Charmin. #TweetFromTheSeat
I hadn't seen that. It's really cute, and honestly, it does make me want to buy Charmin. And guess what! Charmin is now on my grocery list for next time.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:11 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,205,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
How do you survive the commercials?
It is getting so ridiculous, they are taking up more and more time in a show that I have vowed never to buy anything that most are advertising. It is even getting to the point of getting angry to have to stop and fast forward!
At this time I can still afford to pay for the DVR to record but when the day comes that I can't, I really wonder how a person can survive sitting through endless commercials or will we be forced to just quit watching TV?
I remember when there would be a few commercials then back to the show but now they are bordering on torture!
I really feel like writing to the networks to say I will never buy anything you are advertising because you are driving me crazy with your endless commercials.
Sorry for the rant but really want to know how to survive them without a DVR.
Don't watch them? Find another channel to stare at for 60-90 seconds or visit the frig. I don't even have cable or sat and I'm content. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV